What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    3c9fitduhf4c.jpg
    First fries I've had in a year

You went all out. Those look so good but what a calorie bomb. :D

And even more sodium, but I think I can balance it out. :)
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian Jambalaya from the freezer with salad and some leftover Aji Verde from a Peruvian chicken dish I made for my husband this evening. Mix of cuisines but the sauce worked strangely well! 😂

bxylmkxh3b8d.jpeg
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    Possibly an odd combination - Roasted Courgettes & Tomatoes mixed with Broad Beans & Peas, all tossed in an oil free vegan Pesto. Couple of vegan Smoked Sausages and a big dollop of Dijon.

ozclg17lyn8z.jpeg
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Pasta with ground beef, some Parmesan and goat cheese. Veggies on the side.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    Penne with Asparagus,Spinach & Tomato tossed in Oil Free Pesto.

pyrv2nwaddhb.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

Brunch: grilled liver with grape tomatoes, onions, harissa & garlic. Duck egg & side of fresh beets w/ arugula.
    Açaí-dragonfruit- blueberry greens/flax shake on side.

6lh43xsldl07.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    edited August 2021
    Options
    yqt2qycj0gkj.jpg
    Make a whole small chicken

a6kas61yu7du.jpg
    With potatoes and random vegtables (2 of these)

Maybe I could have done a soup with the bones? Idk, I only had half of a plan

That roast chicken looks great!!!

You just reminded me I want to get a new crock pot - I use the bones for flavor. :)

I tried making bone broth .. never works for me. I leave it to the professionals lol
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    Caesar made with grilled romaine and garnished with some salmon mi cuit pulled out of the freezer. Followed by a little linguine alla vodka.
    91noimmu9x3m.jpeg
    pnyierox0pg3.jpg
  • EyeOTS
    edited August 2021
    Options

That roast chicken looks great!!!

You just reminded me I want to get a new crock pot - I use the bones for flavor. :)

I tried making bone broth .. never works for me. I leave it to the professionals lol

Thanks! It was tasty and lean (maybe a little dry). I don't know what to do with bones either, so that's a good quest for next time.
  • acpgee
    Options
    @EyeOTS
    Roast chicken breast can be a bit dry because the cooking time for legs and breasts are different. By the time the legs are done, the breasts are overcooked and dry. This can be solved by spatchcocking the chicken. This means with a pair of strong scissors cut down one side of the back bone. You might need to tear a little where the thigh meets the back bone. Place skin side up on your oven tray and with your palm press down on the breasts until you hear a crack and the bird flattens out. Roasting in this position makes use of the fact that a conventional oven is cooler in centre (where the breasts are) and hotter along the perimeter (where the legs are).

I save all my chicken bones in a ziplock in the freezer I call the "bone bag". When it is full, I roast off the bones in the air fryer for 20 minutes then dump in a big pasta pan with a quartered onion (skin and all). If you keep a bag in the freezer for saving up clean veggie waste such as peels and stems toss that in too. Gently simmer with water on low for 5 or 6 hours to extract maximum flavour. The last 30 minutes turn up heat to a furious boil to concentrate the stock so that it takes up less room in the freezer. Strain, portion and freeze. I mostly use my broth for risottos. If you will be using it for consome and want a cloudless stock, google "egg white raft" for instructions on how to clarify homemade stock.
  • EyeOTS
    Options
    @acpgee that's very helpful, I will have to look into it. This came out good enough to give another try, but that sounds like an improvement.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    Ginger & Lemon Stirfry Veg (leek, red pepper & mushrooms) with Quorn. Served with extra lemony couscous! 🍋

tqk6gfvzjii2.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    Extra crispy skin - Copper River salmon with a blueberry scallion compote and sautéed red kale.

dhzlogfpljlm.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Salad of romaine, honey dew melon and smoked chicken with vinaigrette as antipasto. Primo of macaroni with the leftover vodka sauce from last night. Motivation for doing pasta alla vodka last night was leftovers management. We had some double cream leftover from making panna cotta to use up.
    duwwwmkzdyj1.jpg
    bhar1eovc3kt.jpg

• acpgee
    Options
    @acpgee that's very helpful, I will have to look into it. This came out good enough to give another try, but that sounds like an improvement.

I forgot to mention that spatchcocking a roast chicken cuts down oven time dramatically. Use a meat thermometer, ideally. Chicken is safe to eat at 72C but if you are going to rest it for 5 minutes before carving the internal temperature will continue to rise so you can pull the chicken out at 69C if you keep an eye on thermometer after it is out of the oven.

When I spatchcock a whole chicken it takes maybe 25-40 minutes in the oven depending on size as opposed to 45-60 minutes. in the usual position.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Dinner party at my place. Beef lok lak, Cambodian street corn, English summer pudding.
    knlclru3vgb6.jpeg
    cddjsyoqgqs0.jpeg
    zqefx0i4ydd4.jpg