Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What a lot of us here already know: "Fast" carbs don't make you fat!

Options
Speakeasy76
Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
edited August 2021 in Debate Club
https://www.abc27.com/news/health/fast-carbs-dont-make-you-fat-study-says/

I saw this article yesterday, and it confirms what a lot of us here already know: There is no difference between carbs that are supposedly processed faster (e.g., white bread, pasta, etc.) than slower-digesting carbs in terms of weight loss or gain and obesity. I was a bit skeptical that the report was commissioned by the "Grain Foods Foundation" and would like to read the actual report, but still think it's true in terms of weight loss. Nutritionally of course they are different, but I think there are still a lot of people out there who think white carbs are the devil!

I'll admit I used to never want to eat white rice, bread or pasta and do like whole-wheat, but lately have been eating more of the white stuff and not feeling bad about it. I actually think I may digest the white stuff more easily than the whole-wheat and the whole-wheat sometimes causes bloating/cramps, but need to experiment a bit more to see if that's what it is.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that grants or getting paid for this kind of study is still around. The Barnum & Bailey effect in full bloom. :)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    It amazes me that grants or getting paid for this kind of study is still around. The Barnum & Bailey effect in full bloom. :)

There is value in applying rigorous scientific methodology to testing out "common sense" ideas that "everyone knows." Sometimes folk wisdom is just flat-out wrong, or broadly right but for the wrong reasons.

I sure your right but I'll continue to think based on current science that it's calories and it's overconsumption that makes people gain weight, but who knows it might be individual foods like fast carbs.
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2021
    Options

There is value in applying rigorous scientific methodology to testing out "common sense" ideas that "everyone knows." Sometimes folk wisdom is just flat-out wrong, or broadly right but for the wrong reasons.

I sure your right but I'll continue to think based on current science that it's calories and it's overconsumption that makes people gain weight, but who knows it might be individual foods like fast carbs.

She isn't saying it's not calories. She's saying good science involves testing 'common knowledge' things that have never been put to the test.

That is accurate.

Because sometimes common sense is right and sometimes we drew a wrong conclusion, and either way having scientific evidence of that is useful to us.

Yes, thank you.

I like science. I'm what some might call a nutritional nerd and have been doing my own research since the late 90's, so I agree science and testing hypothesis is crucial. The comparison between simple and complex carbs effects have been researched to death. This article even mentions 34 previous studies that came to the same conclusion. I give the researchers of this study credit for getting paid for something that has ben done over and over again and to no surprise they came to the same conclusion.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I realized in 2004 that I preferred white rice and felt guilty about abandoning brown rice for a long time, but no more!

I believe I first saw this graphic here on MFP:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

esod5x60wsai.png

I can easily make up that 1 g of protein and fiber elsewhere. Actually, as I type this I am eating cottage cheese and blueberries, so check :lol:

How is possible that white rice has vitamin C and brown rice doesn’t? That’s odd.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I realized in 2004 that I preferred white rice and felt guilty about abandoning brown rice for a long time, but no more!

I believe I first saw this graphic here on MFP:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

esod5x60wsai.png

I can easily make up that 1 g of protein and fiber elsewhere. Actually, as I type this I am eating cottage cheese and blueberries, so check :lol:

How is possible that white rice has vitamin C and brown rice doesn’t? That’s odd.

Rice doesn't have vit C, but lots of white rice is fortified, so maybe it was added.

I like brown rice better (I'm not that into rice anyway in that I think it works well with some food and is fine but I could easily live without it, but think if one must choose brown is tastier), but I don't think either is really better from a nutritional perspective. One can likely get nutrients more easily from fortified white rice than brown, and it's not like I find brown rice super filling -- it's way more about the protein and veg one eats with the rice.

That's what I was thinking too - but if that is the case then I think that showing a nutritional comparison between a fortified and non-fortified food item is a bit disingenuous. I mean it probably doesn't matter but it would make me question the rest of the comparatives as well (if I was interested in choosing rice with the best nutritional profile which personally I am not).