Alli stories (good or bad)

Options
Thinking of trying Alli out but not sure if it’s a good idea or not.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I think this may help with your decision.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1051812/alli-diet-pills

Cheers, h.
    (ETA I’m sniggering already. It’s been a while since this thread surfaced)
  • jenpobble
    jenpobble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Alli forces you to limit how much fat you consume per meal because if you take in too much fat, the fat reacts BADLY with Alli.

Essentially it IS a way to scare yourself into eating less, but ultimately I didn't even finish the first box. Luckily I had not bad side effects.

This chimes with my experience. It won’t do the work for you but it will give you a reason not to impulsively eat something fatty when you have a lapse in willpower.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Thinking of trying Alli out but not sure if it’s a good idea or not.

I tried it once upon a time - bought a single package of it before I read about how it works. Then I did the math. I'm going from memory here, so my #s may be a little off but should be in the right general neighborhood.

Alli forces you to limit how much fat you consume per meal because if you take in too much fat, the fat reacts BADLY with Alli. So it is kind of like a strong arm tactic. I believe the recommended limit is 15g fat per meal. So you're limited to about 45g fat per day.

Next part is math: Alli blocks 25% of the fat you consume, so of that 45g 25% or 11g pass right thru you. So you 'save' 9 calories x 11g per day. That comes out to 99 calories per day blocked by Alli.

Over the course of a month, almost 1 pound 'saved' by taking Alli.

Alli's package says it helps you lose more weight than diet alone. I can't find an online reference, but I'm pretty sure the weight loss results they project assume you are logging your food intake & eating at a reduced calorie #. VERY little of the weight loss is due to the pills.

Essentially it IS a way to scare yourself into eating less, but ultimately I didn't even finish the first box. Luckily I had not bad side effects.

To the bolded - if you haven't read the other thread, the main problem with Alli is that, since the fat it blocks doesn't get absorbed during the digestion process, there's nowhere for it to go but out the back door, as it were. Your solid waste management facility is not at all equipped to handle oily liquids, so that rogue fat slips past security like the worst possible Ocean's Eleven ripoff.

Fat is an essential nutrient, though, like others have pointed out; there are certain vitamins and such that are fat-soluble, meaning if you don't take in enough fat you run the risk of developing nutrient deficiencies, which is a bigger problem than just being overweight.