Accountability Thread - Reduce treats

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    okay so... this is going to be one of those posts where people realize why I have the username I do. And that they either really like me ... or really don't. It is what it is.

it is not the job of strangers to keep you accountable. It is YOUR job. Not mine. not your husband. Not any other MFP member. YOURS. Your food issues are your own. Just as my food issues are my own. It is not your job to keep peanut butter cups out of my mouth is it? no. it is mine.

I've lost almost 200 pounds. have a bit more to go. not much. my husband, skinny jerk that he is, needs to GAIN weight. Because, of course he does. I've still managed to lose weight, with him having totally opposite caloric needs AND having a teenage boy in the house who eats like a linebacker for the NFL and yet ... is also a skinny jerk. How? Because *I* control what I put in my mouth. Because *I* control how much food I put on my plate. We all eat the same thing for dinner almost every night. They might eat MORE but we eat the same meal.

Regarding sweets and junk food, in particular, there's a fair amount of it in our house. I purposely do not buy the things that i KNOW I can't leave alone. There's not many. Any peanut butter/ chocolate combination is out. I learned last week that the nabisco chewy chocolate chip cookies with the brownies inside can not come in the house again. LMAO. The nutter butter WAFER cookies are a no. the hard ones i dont care about. but the wafers i can sit and eat the entire package in one sitting. So for my boys ... I buy things i CAN leave alone. or only eat a normal portion of. There are PLENTY of things that they DO really enjoy that I dont care about. I love oreos but have no problem only eating a couple at a time. so those are okay. same for most cookies really. chips dont hold too much appeal for me. same for ice cream. I love to bake but really only do it in the fall and winter, but have no problem leaving most of it alone. So, they get a ton of baked sweets and breads and stuff during the cooler months. I will not make fudge, because I can't leave it alone (or i will make it only before a party or something when i know i can send it away with people). So you learn where your demons are, and avoid them altogether. If everything is your demon, then (I'm going to be very blunt here) you are going to have to find a better coping mechanism than food because it is unfair to your family to not have the things they want and enjoy because you are trying to lose weight. if your husband ABSOLUTELY LOVES AND HAS TO HAVE SOMETHING... i would suggest in that particular case ... he keep it at work. but it truly needs to be a one or two item thing, not half the kitchen.

all that being said, you absolutely can fit treats and sweets in. every day if you want. I do. most days, anyway. usually chocolate, but not always. i prefer it to be, though LOL

fyi...pudding cups are a pretty good low calorie option for a chocolate fix thats only around 100 calories ;) theyre even good frozen :P
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    @callsitlikeiseeit

I understand what you are saying, and I know at the end of the day it is my decision what goes into my body. I also know that mentally I work better if I have someone to be accountable to. Even if I am shouting into the void and no one ever responds, the fact that I have set myself up to post updates here is actually helping me. I passed on those chocolate bars yesterday at work because I didn't want to report that I had one. And yes I understand that is what the log is for, but it is really really easy for me to lie to myself and not record an unexpected snack or a higher calorie dessert. I also battle anxiety and depression, which is what kicked off my return to old sweet habits in the first place. Part of that is finding strategies to make things easier, because I only have so much willpower to give myself each day and that end of day chocolate sure looks appealing when I'm already exhausted from making better choices the rest of the day.

You are also right that it isn't fair to deprive my husband of sweets that he wants. I never said that I was going to do so. He has less of a sweet tooth than I do so most of what is in the house is for me, and anything that is purely for him I'm good at not chowing down on. The only exception is containers that we are sharing, because I will shovel through it faster than him and thus end of eating more than my fair share in the long run.

If you look at some of my older posts on MFP I used to say the same thing about fitting sweets in each day. I hope to be able to get back to that. But right now, I'm not making the good choices I used to. Instead of having a low calorie option I go for the cake, or a brownie, or full serving ice cream. Or I eat two when I should have one piece, etc. Hence the thread, I want to cut down on the daily treats so that my body readjusts and considers the healthier options to be actual treats, and not lesser versions of high-calorie stuff. So it is "I get to have a salted caramel bit" or "I'm going to have a bowl of strawberries" and not "I'm only having this caramel bite instead of the cake I want." Does that make sense?
  • emmies_123
    @Kevvboy

I hope that the cravings will disappear also! I did get some free peaches off the work table yesterday (instead of the candy bars!), and I plan on having those as my sweet treat this weekend once they are ripe. The freebie table is both a blessing and a curse lol.

We have no family gatherings that would introduce large calorie sweets to me in September, so I'm really hoping I can get back to old ways this month before the next round of holidays. Luckily no kids in my house so October all the candy goes out the door!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited August 2021
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    I want to cut down on the daily treats so that my body readjusts and considers the healthier options to be actual treats, and not lesser versions of high-calorie stuff. So it is "I get to have a salted caramel bit" or "I'm going to have a bowl of strawberries" and not "I'm only having this caramel bite instead of the cake I want." Does that make sense?

Sure it makes sense. I think we all have or had trick or mind games that become habits, that help us keep on track. There's nothing wrong with that at all. It's part of ... keeping yourself accountable.

oh and i saw you mentioned earlier that you are a normal weight? or skinny? something like that. if you havent seen this thread? its good. definitely worth the read. but have a big stomach. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

• emmies_123
    @callsitlikeiseeit
    I have read that thread =) I am in normal BMI range, i guess that is the better descriptor. Although just barely, on the high end of it. I am happy with my body and what it can do, but I also know I can do better and shouldn't stop here just because it is acceptable.

Afternoon update: Staying to my goals. Had a healthy breakfast and lunch, and planned out my dinner. I'm going to Costco tonight and that will be a test to make sure nothing frivolous makes it back home!
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Good evening,

I managed to stay strong and avoid eating any more sweets! I am proud of myself for not eating any out of habit, and being happy with the decision. Tomorrow is finally Friday, and hopefully the end of what has been a really rough week for me.

great job!! it's tough, I know.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    @callsitlikeiseeit
    I have read that thread =) I am in normal BMI range, i guess that is the better descriptor. Although just barely, on the high end of it. I am happy with my body and what it can do, but I also know I can do better and shouldn't stop here just because it is acceptable.

Afternoon update: Staying to my goals. Had a healthy breakfast and lunch, and planned out my dinner. I'm going to Costco tonight and that will be a test to make sure nothing frivolous makes it back home!

Will you pick me up some frivolous items? They keep me mentally healthy. 😀

And congrats on your will power! It's definitely hard and something I have none of.
  • emmies_123
    Annnnd the craving has begun. Also noticed it started around the same time i started feeling sleepy, not sure where that association has come from. Coincidence or not? hmmmm...

I still have my greek yogurt to nom, trying to wait until 3pm so I am full before grocery trip and last until dinner time.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    I have a different approach.

I love treats. The more treats I can squeeze in a day, the happier and more satisfied I am.

Redefining my definition of “treat” is probably what rounded the curve for me.

Instead of cookies or chocolates, I taught myself to consider these as treats: fruits, cottage cheese, yogurt, jello, a chicken sausage, cucumber, carrots, a single small hard candy (typically 5-15 calories apiece), beef jerky, fruit leather, veggies and zero cal ranch dressing, leftover pancakes from breakfast, tiny little tubs of sardine páte, and so on.

On a typical day, I’ll have 6-800 calories reserved for treats.

The game is to see how many I can squeeze into that budget. It’s like Tetris. I gloat when I can get in five or six snacks.

If for some reason I have a particularly light “real meal” scheduled, I’ll use those extra calories for a super special treat, like the fudge frosted brownie from my corner bakery Tuesday.

For something like that, I put the phone down, turn the TV off, and try to remind myself to eat it slowly and savor every bite to make it worthwhile. I try to make it a completely different experience from “old me” who would have shoveled in several without thinking, reached to find the bag empty, and carelessly wondered where they’d all gone.

I also try to make meals treats. I have been eating cake batter pancakes supplemented with a little whey powder and extra egg white for months. I brush zero cal caramel or chocolate syrup on them and roll them up like pirouettes. It’s all in my head but it feels so extravagant to have cupcake- like finger food for breakfast.

Dinner tonight is carefully shaved London broil pan fried with a little seasoning, rolled in naan bread, with a side of broccoli slaw pumped up with a shredded apple.

TL:DR. Don’t change your longing for treats. Change the treats you long for.
  • emmies_123
    @springlering62

I love your thought process, although I don't think I could ever consider carrots a treat =P The gamification of fitting in healthy stuff is awesome though! I could see that working with yogurt, fruit, and maybe getting to have "fancy" sides with my dinner meat.

Shopping outcome: I got one frivolous thing, but I shall use it to practice savoring and slowing.
  • suzleigh1
    suzleigh1 Posts: 19 Member
    okay so... this is going to be one of those posts where people realize why I have the username I do. And that they either really like me ... or really don't. It is what it is.

it is not the job of strangers to keep you accountable. It is YOUR job. Not mine. not your husband. Not any other MFP member. YOURS. Your food issues are your own. Just as my food issues are my own. It is not your job to keep peanut butter cups out of my mouth is it? no. it is mine.

I've lost almost 200 pounds. have a bit more to go. not much. my husband, skinny jerk that he is, needs to GAIN weight. Because, of course he does. I've still managed to lose weight, with him having totally opposite caloric needs AND having a teenage boy in the house who eats like a linebacker for the NFL and yet ... is also a skinny jerk. How? Because *I* control what I put in my mouth. Because *I* control how much food I put on my plate. We all eat the same thing for dinner almost every night. They might eat MORE but we eat the same meal.

Regarding sweets and junk food, in particular, there's a fair amount of it in our house. I purposely do not buy the things that i KNOW I can't leave alone. There's not many. Any peanut butter/ chocolate combination is out. I learned last week that the nabisco chewy chocolate chip cookies with the brownies inside can not come in the house again. LMAO. The nutter butter WAFER cookies are a no. the hard ones i dont care about. but the wafers i can sit and eat the entire package in one sitting. So for my boys ... I buy things i CAN leave alone. or only eat a normal portion of. There are PLENTY of things that they DO really enjoy that I dont care about. I love oreos but have no problem only eating a couple at a time. so those are okay. same for most cookies really. chips dont hold too much appeal for me. same for ice cream. I love to bake but really only do it in the fall and winter, but have no problem leaving most of it alone. So, they get a ton of baked sweets and breads and stuff during the cooler months. I will not make fudge, because I can't leave it alone (or i will make it only before a party or something when i know i can send it away with people). So you learn where your demons are, and avoid them altogether. If everything is your demon, then (I'm going to be very blunt here) you are going to have to find a better coping mechanism than food because it is unfair to your family to not have the things they want and enjoy because you are trying to lose weight. if your husband ABSOLUTELY LOVES AND HAS TO HAVE SOMETHING... i would suggest in that particular case ... he keep it at work. but it truly needs to be a one or two item thing, not half the kitchen.

all that being said, you absolutely can fit treats and sweets in. every day if you want. I do. most days, anyway. usually chocolate, but not always. i prefer it to be, though LOL

fyi...pudding cups are a pretty good low calorie option for a chocolate fix thats only around 100 calories ;) theyre even good frozen :P

I ADORE YOU!! I’ve been reading through these posts and see all the earmarks of food = emotion (vs food = sustain the body). Eating and food plans are driven by the energy put into it.

I am following a paleo food plan to lose 50 or so lb. My husband refuses to eat any fresh vegetables, fruit, or seafood. Do I have a problem with the chocolate and oreos in the drawer? No. Do I have a problem with him eating pizza in front of me? No. Do I have a problem with him asking me over and over to go out to Arby’s, or Chinese, or Olive Garden? Yes (and every time, I let him know that I’m working hard with 5-6 days workouts and eating plan that I’m not going to set myself back to appease him).

Emmies… I do feel for you. I’ve been there, done that. It was a big help going to a nutritionist, which was paid for by my health insurance. I also set up a mini gym in my basement, so no excuses to not workout (not that I look for excuses). It took me over 20 years to decide I was going to take this weight off — once I really made that choice, the rest fell into place.
  • emmies_123
    @suzleigh1

Yeah nutritionist is not on my insurance so that would be expensive for me. I do have a workout space and I workout 6 days at least 30 mins. It is truly just needing to tighten up that nutrition to see the results.
  • emmies_123
    Morning update:

So far so good! Had to go regular grocery shopping today and got out of the store with NO SUGAR! Grabbed myself some apples for snacking, and ignored the ice cream even though it was on sale. If I have a thoughtful snack and dinner I should have room for a treat tonight but I am not counting on it
  • emmies_123
    Morning update:

Yesterday ended strong. I did have dessert but it fit in my calorie goal so I do not feel guilty about it =)
    Was in a really bad place mentally yesterday. Let the stress of the week build up and this weekend is not letting me recharge as it should for reasons outside of my control. Trying to control my reaction and be more positive while also hoping next weekend might be better.

This morning has been better. I'm still stressed and unable to enjoy hobby activities but I was at least productive. Got my meal prep done for breakfast/dinner for the next week, and just have one step to do for lunches. Also deep cleaned the kitchen while things were cooking!

We have a snack corner for things that are open and need to be finished (bag of chips, peanut containers, my husband's chocolate leftovers). That corner got tidied so that his things are still out, but my chocolate nibbles and chips are now in the pantry out of sight, as well as the open peanut butter that I haven't been able to resist taking a knife to for random snacking (because hey that is healthier than chocolate right =P Yeah I know it is not =P). My apples are in their place! Also put my peaches in my shark bowl, previously reserved for my small chocolate leftovers (think godiva, ghiardelli, etc)
  • emmies_123
    So I know about boredom eating and emotional eating. Is "sleepy eating" a thing? I'm sleep-at-desk tired today (yay stress + cycle + not sleeping last night) and all I want to do is snack. I'm not hungry, I have had a healthy breakfast and it was a sensible portion size. But damn if I don't want to cram random food in my mouth. Not even craving junk food, although that is all that is available at workplace. Just want to be eating...this is weird. I'm weird aren't I?

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    So I know about boredom eating and emotional eating. Is "sleepy eating" a thing? I'm sleep-at-desk tired today (yay stress + cycle + not sleeping last night) and all I want to do is snack. I'm not hungry, I have had a healthy breakfast and it was a sensible portion size. But damn if I don't want to cram random food in my mouth. Not even craving junk food, although that is all that is available at workplace. Just want to be eating...this is weird. I'm weird aren't I?

When I'm short on sleep, I almost always crave calories. It's as though my body thinks it can make up for lack of sleep with energy from food. My brain, on the other hand, thinks it can make up for lack of sleep with caffeine. Both are right in the very short term.
  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    I have been below goal for several months now, and have a huge taste for chocolate. I figured out a way to have it at breakfast and dinner every day through cocoa powder and find that I am never truly tempted to have additional treats. (I find a small whisk helps incorporate cocoa powder into fluids.)

I set up my breakfast at night for the next morning. Using a large single serving microwaveable bowl, I add 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats, 1 cup of water, a 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric (not everybody likes this), 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper, and 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder. I use plain cocoa powder, not dutch process or 'special dark.' I microwave it about 4 minutes while making coffee, watching for boil overs and adding hot water from the coffee maker as needed. (When the microwave broke I used the stove top and, to make it easier to clean the pot, did not add the cocoa and cinnamon to the pot, but whisked them with 1/4 cup of water in my cereal bowl and poured the finished hot oatmeal to serve.)

I use artificial sweetener and add that after it has cooked. I don't use salt much and shake it sparingly at the table.

Dinner usually includes chia cocoa pudding. I measure 1 tablespoon of Chia seeds, 1 tablespoon of the same cocoa powder, and one sweetener packet to a juice glass sized, add slightly more than 1/4 cup of water, and whisk until blended, and then refrigerate. If I forget to make it the night before, I can do it before dinner and it is ready but not as chilled at dinner time. Sometimes I add cinnamon or orange extract.

The cocoa adds 30 calories a day to my total. If I didn't have a carb limit and need to fit beans into dinner, I would have an additional serving of the oatmeal at night. I love it that much.

There is also an old Weight Watchers breakfast of an oat-based freezer bar using hot cocoa mix, peanut butter, and raisins. I have made a version of it with cocoa powder and peanut powder. I don't love it as much as my hot cereal mix, but I might give it another go now that I'm at goal.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member

When I'm short on sleep, I almost always crave calories. It's as though my body thinks it can make up for lack of sleep with energy from food. My brain, on the other hand, thinks it can make up for lack of sleep with caffeine. Both are right in the very short term.

That's me except it's more mindless eating and then afterwards I think, "Shouldn't all that sugar I just had have woken me up??"

Caffeine from my diet cokes definitely work better depending on how much and I drank/drink it.
  • emmies_123
    Glad I'm not the only one who sleep-eats. I gave in and had a handful of chex mix with my lunch, hoping I get a second wind, and planning a nap the second i get home!
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    it makes perfect sense. Your body recognizes you need energy. You get it one of 2 ways: sleep and fuel. Since sleep is lacking, the body thinks you need food (energy) to make up the deficit. You're not weird, just wired that way. make sure to get lots of fluid and try to get enough rest the next night. That should help!