Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Research suggests there is more to it than simply CICO for obese people. More study needed.

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    MFP is based around calorie counting, but also has an adjustment for exercise which is applied very blandly with no comment or recognition of a) the problems with measuring/recording calories burnt, or b) what this shows, which is that BEE/BMR is affected by calories burned in exercise.

What is BEE?

Do you really think anyone uses an exercise calculation without thinking, "Hm, how accurate can this be? It doesn't know how hard I danced/hula-hooped/swam/played baseball?"

Ya gotta just do it and work out all the variables. Every single part of weight loss is individual from food choices to calorie-counting accuracy (or no counting) to daily chores and activities, to fidgeting, exercise intensity, general weight and health, nutrition, illness, stress, sleep, hydration...it isn't a simple, "It's harder for obese people." It's hard for everyone...but you have to run the experiment.

Right, I garden, and some times I use the whole calorie allotment but know to not when it's like this:

vq8eiomgtpa8.png

This was not a difficult decision.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I’m kind of weirded out by this study because it finds the exact opposite of every other study ever - which have consistently found that exercise increases metabolism temporarily even after the exercise is complete. I need to know more about their methodology and what they measured before I have an opinion.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I’m kind of weirded out by this study because it finds the exact opposite of every other study ever - which have consistently found that exercise increases metabolism temporarily even after the exercise is complete. I need to know more about their methodology and what they measured before I have an opinion.

It's not a research study like that - it's the kind of study to get others interested to do research into a study like you are thinking of. Those have been done too.

See the section on weight loss through calorie restriction enhanced by exercise.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3925973/

In this case they took database of available info from a lot of people measured at a static point in time, and tried to discern some info from it.

NASA years ago had a similar "study" with database available for researchers to cull through and try to discern some things. Many "studies" came from that.

It can be interesting on some things, because they'll have like measured RMR or BF%, along with simple methods or calculations or skin folders, in this case measured TDEE along with participant survey, VO2max tests, ect. And everybody at the company got a free physical basically. Better have.

But it's not truly giving a difference in change of behavior - they try to discern that.

That increased metabolism from EPOC has been found to be so minor though, easily adjusted through other activity.
    And if your metabolism is increased the day after lifting say because of repair to muscles - you might be sore and moving a lot less.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Over and over, people giving advice here will suggest that people (obese or otherwise) may differ from estimates made by so-called calculators (including MFP) or even estimates (yes, *estimates*) made by fitness trackers. People here have repeatedly suggested that people test-drive some reasonably-sourced estimate for a 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual cycles if relevant), then adjust. Then, after adjusting, keep tracking and adjusting. This kind of suggestion comes up in nearly every relevant thread, IME.

At extremes where people even then post that they aren't losing as expected, there's discussion of adaptive thermogenesis, under-recovery from over-exercise having counter-productive effects, exercise estimates being difficult/fraught (but zero is always wrong), the pitfalls of heart rate monitors as exercise estimators, etc., etc.

I've typed those kinds of things more often than I could hope or care to count.

Yes, it can be hard for obese people. It can be hard for people who are hypothyroid, aging, disabled, have PCOS, are insulin resistant, and in many other cases (without even considering learning/skills issues that apply to counting, exercising, etc.).

I don't think people here, taken as a whole, are generally special-dissing obese people. (A bunch of us have been obese people.) I can understand why obese people might feel so, however. (We each, me included, tend to be especially attuned to implications, possibly even unintended implications, that relate to our personal situation, IME.)

I think this study is interesting, but not - in overall implications - deeply surprising.

I truly don't see how it would change the advice I'd give here, in practical "how to" terms. I'm already trying - imperfectly, I'm sure - to be kind. (That's the case even when commenting obstacles that I consider to be 100% self-created by the OP, and I don't put obesity in that category - I'm talking more about people who feel sabotaged by unknowing people having treats in their presence, for example. I'm sure I do poorly at kindness sometimes, however, maybe even often, for some people's tastes.)

As an aside, if we only net-burn 72% of the calories from exercise on average, I don't think that's deeply meaningful as an error rate, in a context where exercise estimating is kind of a SWAG** in the first place. Surprisingly good, IMO, in fact. I suspect other common sources of exercise-estimating error may be higher percentages, though I have no objective evidence. The 50.5% percent at the 90th percentile of BMI distribution is much worse than that, of course.

** For those unfamiliar with the term, "Scientific Wild-A** Guess".

I love your advice.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,354 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    My takeaway from this is that when morbidly obese people say they’re trying hard but seeing little or no results, that we forum denizens might want to respond with acknowledgment of the hard work, and explain that tightening up of the calorie measurement and being as exact as possible is likely even more important in their case. And that what they’re experiencing is real.

Yes. Some people do exactly that.
    But not everyone.

And soap tastes like cilantro.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

There is an idea that if I go for an after work bike ride, then later in the day I'll check the mail while I'm walking the cat instead of doing those two things separately and going up and down the stairs twice. 🙂 I buy that it should be true on average.

I read the link and it talked about the body doing something similar with metabolism. I don't know to what degree I buy that. But I like to read.
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @haybales that comment about the knights who say nee made this entire thread worth reading😂
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

you had my husband laughing so hard he almost couldnt breathe LOLOLOL
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Here's a good breakdown of the research. I appreciate the aspect of SOME compensation - not totally.

While watching, with our knowledge of common recommendation on logging MFP exercise - see if something catches your attention that may explain why the recommendation works for some people, not needed for others.

https://youtu.be/qACj-9Y-8T4