How much do you spend on groceries each week?

Options

Replies

• supermom1114
    Options
    I spend about $100 per week, sometimes less sometimes more. I do my shopping every two weeks as well. And thats for a family of 3, every single meal and snack, we don't eat out seeing as the 3 restuarants in town are way over priced since they're the only ones and don't taste much better than what I can make at home. I shop some in the city at Sams and some at Wal-mart or the small grocery store in town. Buying staple items in bulk at Sams has saved a TON! I could do better and will eventually do better once we're Alaskan citizens in a year and can apply for subsistence fishing/hunting licenses. So basically we get salmon, moose, bison, etc for cost of the trip and processing. But anyone can save money on meats, and get better quality meat by buying grass-fed beef in bulk from a rancher etc and storing it in a deep freezer. Thats what I did back in Texas. Also any time produce or a great healthy item goes on sale, I research if it can be stored long term in any way with little quality loss and then stock up and store it properly. I used to use coupons but could never really find ones for good products, just national branded artificial and chemical crap. And store brands are usually pretty close to the national brand anyways and usually cost less even with the discount from the coupon.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    At one point when we were dirt broke, I shopped at four different stores each week for sales. I was able to keep monthly groceries to around $600 for family of 5 (all boys, including one teenage boy athlete). I clipped coupons and even shopped at grocery outlet stores and costco to get the amount that low. This came out to average $1.33 per person per meal. Of course some each more than others and no one eats only three meals.

When not on this sort of strict budget, we spend closer to $200 per week (not including pet food and certain household items). My teenage boy athlete consumes 8,000 calories daily.

I think I've spent a little more since I started with MFP buying more produce and specialty items such as protein bars and nut butters, but we're still doing pretty well.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Family of three - about $100 to $125 a week.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We live in Central PA and I spend about a 100 a week on FOOD. That doesn't include Dog Kibble, diapers, wipes, cleaning supplies. This is for 2 adults and 3 kids 4 and under.
  • munozrd
    munozrd Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I shop for two people and spend an average of 120-140 every two weeks.
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For Just my husband and I, we spend around $125 per week. We also have lots of pets, but I budget for their food seperately (esp since we have 3 horses and hay is now up to $17 a bale! ... Ouch!) This avearge includes Cleaning supplies, T paper, RidX etc. which we purchase on an as needed basis. We live in a small town, and food here (and everything else) is quite expensive. But it's hard becuase unless you're willing to travel a min of 45-60 miles (one way) --they literally have you held hostage! You also have to weigh the price of gas if you decide to make the treck out of town for more reasonable food.
  • moonflower09
    moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I could and have easily spent $150 for 1 person. In those days I did tend to waste food w/out thinking too much about it. I am currently on a Financial Plan that MFP fans recommended. (Dave Ramsey TMMO). I am really strapped for cash right now so I am spending $16 to $25 dollars a week. Lots of beans and lentils daily. I have a small organic garden that helps. Its a real push to get all my fresh produce and dairy into my plan. But I am motivated and doing it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    If you are going to spit BS please make sure you have your facts correct. The only comment I made on Shakeology was my answer to the OP. In which I said " I love Shakeology" I drink 4-5 a week.

And like I said, I am glad you somehow manage to feed your family of 3 for $122. I and many others however can not. We don't have a sub whatever around this area.
    Safeway isn't a "sub whatever" it's a large chain grocery store. But going back to what you said, this is what you stated:
    Then you must live in some tiny little town with a bunch of mama and papa stores Or you are lying. There is no way $122 will feed a family for a week.
    I still call BS. If you feed your family 3 meals a day and assuming you have a family of 4 people. That is like$1-2 per person per meal. Even if you buy generic food at a discount shopping place. That price seems very far fetched. But hey whatever. If you actually do make that work then good for you!

And regardless. This is going off topic.
    I think the "facts" speak for themselves. Your not gonna say you didn't say this?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    LOL I dislike cheese and I can't stand "whine"

And I am not at all crying. I'd just appreciate it, that if someone is going to direct me somewhere to try and prove me "wrong" that they don't lie and make crap up. :laugh:
    So are the posts I quoted you made up or did your "twin" post them. Epic self ownage.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

If you shop at Safeway - check out "just for u." It's online and it's virtual coupons you can put on your club card/phone number. Some are prices that are only available to you. It save me so much money.
    I do this. More bang for the buck.
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Between $150 - 200 a week for a family of 3 .. Only grocery, if i stuck up on specials, and need other stuff as well then around $ 300 week.
    Edite to add: we have one dog.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    it's just the husband and i but we don't really keep track of our grocery budget
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    We average $150-200 to feed a family of 5 - me and my husband, and 3 boys - 14, 11, and 9. That includes cleaning and paper supplies, toiletries, etc. I live in northcentral PA and have quite a few amish produce stands around so I can do well this time of year on produce.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people fall into the pre-made, "healthy" packaged food which is expensive. I was raised on home made and have been schooling my husband on how it's done since we married a couple of years ago.

We have 2 home-fed dogs and 1 cat that likes Fancy Feast ;) and we budget $100 a week for everything (toiletries, paper and cleaning products) but I never really spend that much. I usually shop every 1.5 to 2 weeks and the bill is never above $150.

Recently, we've been doing the stock-up and couponing thing so I've been spending more but should (hope) that it will cause us to spend even less after a couple of months.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    If you are going to spit BS please make sure you have your facts correct. The only comment I made on Shakeology was my answer to the OP. In which I said " I love Shakeology" I drink 4-5 a week.

And like I said, I am glad you somehow manage to feed your family of 3 for $122. I and many others however can not. We don't have a sub whatever around this area.
    Safeway isn't a "sub whatever" it's a large chain grocery store. But going back to what you said, this is what you stated:
    Then you must live in some tiny little town with a bunch of mama and papa stores Or you are lying. There is no way $122 will feed a family for a week.
    I still call BS. If you feed your family 3 meals a day and assuming you have a family of 4 people. That is like$1-2 per person per meal. Even if you buy generic food at a discount shopping place. That price seems very far fetched. But hey whatever. If you actually do make that work then good for you!

And regardless. This is going off topic.
    I think the "facts" speak for themselves. Your not gonna say you didn't say this?

Whatever the store is called. I never heard of it here on the east coast or the gulf coast. I said that because you made a post in here acting like me and some other user were trying to push Shakeology. I made a post in a thread called "SHAKEOLOGY" about how I like it and drink it. (1st reply in the thread) Another user made a post comparing the cost to food. Then you are the one who went on about how it's a rip off, comparing to other products and comparing it to how you only pay $122 a week for food..blah blah

Then once I said fine and tried to drop the subject, you came here and created a whole new thread! I am bigger then you are, therefore I probably eat more. So I probably spend more in food. I also live across the country...

BTW I know how expensive Cali is. It's the reason I am probably not moving there with a friend. But we have no Safeways here. nearest one is 85 miles. So I do most of my shopping at Wal Mart or Martins. Just depends when I go and which store is closest.
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    $100 a week for a family of 3??? I'd like to know what you are buying! Are you one of those couponers?? We spend about $150-$180 every week and a 1/2....about?
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually can't get out of the store for less than $175 a week, Usually it's more. We have a family of 6, but 2 of our kids are out of the house at the moment. (One in college, one at a boarding school). So most of the time I am shopping for a family of 4. This amount does include things like paper towels, toiletries, etc...
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I spend about $200 every two weeks for 3 people. This includes all toiletries, paper products, cat food/litter and cleaning supplies. I actually went today and spent $217, which is a bit more than normal, but the hubby needed razor cartridges (which are sooo pricey). I also spend around $30 a week at the farmer's market. So about $130 a week.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I shop at safeway and I usualy spend 150$ or somewhere around there, mostly because of my cats and my boyfriends junk .
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Also to the people commenting they never herd of safeway, it's one of the largest grocery store chains in the world and is in something like 5 countrys lol( the USA, Canada, England, china, and the phillipines to name the ones I know)