Extreme obesity and paper plates. Question for people in the USA

Options

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I only use real crockery and cutlery (plastic washable if taking a packed lunch), including in the microwave and to dish out takeaway food. Often, I wash dishes after every meal.

Paper and disposable items for me would be exclusively for a picnic setting or something like a kid's birthday party. Otherwise I would personally find it wasteful, although I'm conscious that all that washing up also uses water and energy.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Deviette wrote: »
    I only use real crockery and cutlery (plastic washable if taking a packed lunch), including in the microwave and to dish out takeaway food. Often, I wash dishes after every meal.

Paper and disposable items for me would be exclusively for a picnic setting or something like a kid's birthday party. Otherwise I would personally find it wasteful, although I'm conscious that all that washing up also uses water and energy.

As someone who used to work in papermaking: nowhere near as much as paper production. Paper making is an exceptionally water intensive process. Even if you used a sink load of water for one plate, you're probably still not using as much water as was used in the production of a single paper plate.

On the subject of the actual topic. Reading the comments I cannot believe how many people use paper plates because they simply cannot be bothered to wash up. I mean it takes literally at most 10 seconds to wipe a plate down, and then another 10 seconds to dry it. If I needed a plate and I've run out, I will just clean one and use that. I got this habit from my parents who would do the same thing and they were both working (running their own business) and had 4 children, so the excuse of being busy by having children and working full time just doesn't fly with me.

We don't even have paper plates in our house. If we needed more plates for an event I'd ask people to bring some over with them (unless it was a really big event, then I probably would get some paper stuff in rather than asking lots of people to bring lots of plates, but at that point I might just considering hiring some actual plates, or a lots of small kids, although reusable plastic plates exist), because paper plates are just rubbish, I mean seriously, they're small and you can't put sauces on them well, and they're just unpleasant to eat off, and they bend if you do put a reasonable amount of food on them. And that's not even considering that fact that once you're done with them they literally ARE just rubbish because once they've been stained with food they can't be recycled, unless they have a plastic film on them (which is super hard to recycle anyway, so is probably not recycled even if you do put in the recycling bin) and then you'd have to wash them before putting them into the recycling anyway, and then what have you saved?

TLDR: I cannot see any reason why any human being would need to use paper plates in their own house.
    Sorry was letting my privilege show there, obviously that final sentence should have read:

"TLDR: I cannot see any reason why any human being capable of doing washing up would need to use paper plates in their own house."

It was too late to edit my previous post

It's still showing. ☺

Honestly, I can't see why people have such strong opinions on how other people choose to plate their foods..

I've also started getting Judging People at the Supermarket thread vibes.

Either you're physically capable of washing dishes or you're not. Either you want to take the time to wash dishes or you don't. If I brought prepared food home that was already packaged, it would never even occur to me to get out a nice, clean plate to put it on. I wouldn't even put it on a paper plate. Why dirty something you don't need to? I have no one I need to impress. And, no, I'm not saying any one who uses real dishes is trying to impress anyone.

Did you guys know that Chinese food containers are designed to be opened up so they can be used as plates? Information you never thought you'd need. One of the joys of the internet. ☺

Well, people have strong opinions about environmental issues, which is how I see this.

If you chucked a bag of garbage out your car window, you might get some strong reactions, even if that's how you choose to dispose of your trash.

I don't have a zero carbon footprint, so I'm not trying to be "holier than thou"...but I think reducing waste by using reusable dishes and flatware is relatively easy to do for the able-bodied.

What's getting me is this able bodied argument. Like people who are physically capable of doing something should be required to do it.

No. Just no.

And I do what little things I can to recycle and not waste food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

As someone who used to work in papermaking: nowhere near as much as paper production. Paper making is an exceptionally water intensive process. Even if you used a sink load of water for one plate, you're probably still not using as much water as was used in the production of a single paper plate.

On the subject of the actual topic. Reading the comments I cannot believe how many people use paper plates because they simply cannot be bothered to wash up. I mean it takes literally at most 10 seconds to wipe a plate down, and then another 10 seconds to dry it. If I needed a plate and I've run out, I will just clean one and use that. I got this habit from my parents who would do the same thing and they were both working (running their own business) and had 4 children, so the excuse of being busy by having children and working full time just doesn't fly with me.

We don't even have paper plates in our house. If we needed more plates for an event I'd ask people to bring some over with them (unless it was a really big event, then I probably would get some paper stuff in rather than asking lots of people to bring lots of plates, but at that point I might just considering hiring some actual plates, or a lots of small kids, although reusable plastic plates exist), because paper plates are just rubbish, I mean seriously, they're small and you can't put sauces on them well, and they're just unpleasant to eat off, and they bend if you do put a reasonable amount of food on them. And that's not even considering that fact that once you're done with them they literally ARE just rubbish because once they've been stained with food they can't be recycled, unless they have a plastic film on them (which is super hard to recycle anyway, so is probably not recycled even if you do put in the recycling bin) and then you'd have to wash them before putting them into the recycling anyway, and then what have you saved?

TLDR: I cannot see any reason why any human being [capable of doing washing up] would need to use paper plates in their own house.

I used to be further down the papermaking vertical but have toured plants decades ago - thanks for the reminder about how water-intensive papermaking is.

Before I lost my job due to Covid, I cooked dinner and my partner did the dishes. His excessive water use bothered me, but I appreciated the help so turned a blind eye. Now that I have more energy and free time, I do the dishes and he walks the cat. I join them when I'm done.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    My thought is that the paper plates are already made. I can't unmake them and put the trees and water and whatever else back into nature, so why not use what's already there? I didn't know though that you can't recycle things that touch food, which basically makes my recycling bin obsolete. And in the greater scheme of things, since pretty much all food comes in a plastic tray or a plastic bag anyway, what does a paper plate matter on top of that?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

TLDR: I cannot see any reason why any human being would need to use paper plates in their own house.
    Sorry was letting my privilege show there, obviously that final sentence should have read:

"TLDR: I cannot see any reason why any human being capable of doing washing up would need to use paper plates in their own house."

It's still showing. ☺

Honestly, I can't see why people have such strong opinions on how other people choose to plate their foods..

Either you're physically capable of washing dishes or you're not. Either you want to take the time to wash dishes or you don't. If I brought prepared food home that was already packaged, it would never even occur to me to get out a nice, clean plate to put it on. I wouldn't even put it on a paper plate. Why dirty something you don't need to? I have no one I need to impress. And, no, I'm not saying any one who uses real dishes is trying to impress anyone.

Did you guys know that Chinese food containers are designed to be opened up so they can be used as plates? Information you never thought you'd need. One of the joys of the internet. ☺

No idea why you brought up "impress" then...

When we get subs, my partner uses the wrapping as a plate. I use a plate plate. If not for weighing, I'd use the wrapper as well. When we get pizza, I again use a plate plate - this time because I am also eating it with a big salad. He uses the pizza box. (He also has a salad, and uses a salad bowl for that. I like mine on the same plate.) It literally takes under a minute to wash, dry, and put away a plate.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

It's still showing. ☺

Well, people have strong opinions about environmental issues, which is how I see this.

If you chucked a bag of garbage out your car window, you might get some strong reactions, even if that's how you choose to dispose of your trash.

I don't have a zero carbon footprint, so I'm not trying to be "holier than thou"...but I think reducing waste by using reusable dishes and flatware is relatively easy to do for the able-bodied.

Electric dishwasher works great.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,326 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

MIL uses plastic silverware, she can taste the metal (she isn't crazy, it's legit, most people just filter it out). I suggested some washable plasticware for her, but I don't think she got it.

I had a friend who always used plastic ware, even in a restaurant. Her reasoning being, the chill from the metal cooled off the food.