Extreme obesity and paper plates. Question for people in the USA

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,113 Member
    Deviette wrote: »
    On a semi related subject to the discussion. Has anyone else listened to (and been surprised) by the segment on the podcast "More or Less" (ep. Death, Tax and Dishwashers), where they compare the environmental impact of handwashing vs using a dishwasher and came to the conclusion that using a dishwasher had a lower environmental impact than hand washing your dishes.

I have heard that before. I think it hinges on how much water is used?
    If you’re washing dishes for a family, the dishwasher definitely is more environmentally efficient.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    On a semi related subject to the discussion. Has anyone else listened to (and been surprised) by the segment on the podcast "More or Less" (ep. Death, Tax and Dishwashers), where they compare the environmental impact of handwashing vs using a dishwasher and came to the conclusion that using a dishwasher had a lower environmental impact than hand washing your dishes.

If you’re washing dishes for a family, the dishwasher definitely is more environmentally efficient.

Well that’s a good thing, because we use a buttload more dishes since joining MFP. They ought to get Whirlpool to take’s place as principal sponsor lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited September 2021

I heard this decades ago, before Google, and always wondered - how is the handwashing done? I'm very conscious of my water use, don't fill the sink, rinse one item over another, and don't let the water run unless I am actively using it to rinse.

ETA: many of the articles I've found reference using a 12 place setting. This may be the original study for that.

https://www.ioes.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/handwashing-vs-dishwashing.pdf

"Each place setting has 12 pieces of dishes including bowls, plates, cutlery, pots and pans. Thus a full load is 144 dishes."

Yeah, for 144 dishes I'd use the dishwasher too :lol:

Also, everything I've read says for the dishwasher to be more water efficient, don't rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I don't know anyone who doesn't rinse first. Back when we still used the dishwasher, I attempted to not rinse first, and my partner scolded me, lol. My sister scolds her husband when he doesn't rinse first.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,571 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I heard this decades ago, before Google, and always wondered - how is the handwashing done? I'm very conscious of my water use, don't fill the sink, rinse one item over another, and don't let the water run unless I am actively using it to rinse.

ETA: many of the articles I've found reference using a 12 place setting. This may be the original study for that.

"Each place setting has 12 pieces of dishes including bowls, plates, cutlery, pots and pans. Thus a full load is 144 dishes."

Also, everything I've read says for the dishwasher to be more water efficient, don't rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I don't know anyone who doesn't rinse first. Back when we still used the dishwasher, I attempted to not rinse first, and my partner scolded me, lol. My sister scolds her husband when he doesn't rinse first.

I've found rinsing makes no difference whatsoever. I wipe food particles off, but don't pre-wash. For example, I'll brush off toast crumbs, but not scrub off the leftover egg yolk. It just goes right into the dishwasher. Even though I only run the dishwasher once every couple of weeks (usually when I'm out of silverware), I haven't ever had anything but clean dishes when they come out. Why even use a dishwasher if you're going to wash them before they go into the washer? I think it's a remnant from older dishwashers, maybe?

edited: typo

That totally reminds me of when my mother would tell me to clean my room because the maid was coming and damned if that didn't translate to scrubbing dishes before loading them in the dishwasher when I used them more.

(Yes, I know MY privilege is showing now but I'm definitely not that kid anymore. 😀)
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited September 2021

The consumer group Which? has done some analysis (which is what the podcast references):
    https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/09/which-research-reveals-how-little-water-dishwashers-use-compared-to-hand-washing/?source_code=911CRJ&gclid=CjwKCAjw4qCKBhAVEiwAkTYsPAlPDBpXHC-8Fpe6By9YWT6tigPrlad1-qJCJG7b1PRoKbjjd-GMtRoCX6gQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But the jist is that for the same amount of dishes that would be one big load at the end of the day, you're looking at 2 to 3 "sink-fulls" of water depending on how grubby your pots/pans are and if you're rinsing/running your tap. With the average size of a sink (in the UK) you're looking at a higher usage of water for sinks than dishwashers.

Ignoring water, there's the consideration of how the water is heated. In the UK the majority of hot water from the tap is heated in natural gas boilers. In a dishwasher it's with electricity and thus has a (varying) percentage of renewable energy to power it.

It actually a really interesting question, and demonstrates how things that one would think are greener, are actually the less green option. (It reminds me of a lecture I attended once on how it could be greener to use a polystyrene cup rather than a paper cup as disposable cups for hot beverages. That was a seriously eye opening experience on how the perception of what is "green" is manipulated)

Also, I never rinse a plate or similar before going into the dishwasher, I have rarely had issues with stuff not coming out clean, and anything that hasn't, has never needed more than a wipe with a cloth.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

There are PSAs locally that emphasize even for singles, it is better to use the dishwasher. (They use a double entendre, e.g., "I live alone and I 'do it' every night.")

But I don't think those figures take into account the environmental costs of producing a new dishwasher in the first place, so until I see those figures (and a dishwasher that will fit in my tiny kitchen), I'm going to stick with hand-washing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »

I've found rinsing makes no difference whatsoever. I wipe food particles off, but don't pre-wash. For example, I'll brush off toast crumbs, but not scrub off the leftover egg yolk. It just goes right into the dishwasher. Even though I only run the dishwasher once every couple of weeks (usually when I'm out of silverware), I haven't ever had anything but clean dishes when they come out. Why even use a dishwasher if you're going to wash them before they go into the washer? I think it's a remnant from older dishwashers, maybe?

edited: typo

Ha! It was egg yolk that had my sister incensed. Apparently her dishwasher did not take care of it. No idea how old it was, but it did not look cheap. (She had to replace it this summer.)

And yes, I saw no reason to get dishes 99% clean and then have to listen to a dishwasher for an hour while it got the remaining 1%. (The dishwasher is not especially noisy, but I am sensitive to sounds and find them very distracting.)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member

* raises hand* Meeee! The only things I'll rinse off before putting in the dishwasher are eggs and oatmeal. I run it slightly less often than once a week and everything but those two things come off just fine.

The manual that came with it actually says not to rinse dishes beforehand.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

* raises hand* Meeee! The only things I'll rinse off before putting in the dishwasher are eggs and oatmeal. I run it slightly less often than once a week and everything but those two things come off just fine.

Me too! No rinsing here and no issues.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member

There are PSAs locally that emphasize even for singles, it is better to use the dishwasher. (They use a double entendre, e.g., "I live alone and I 'do it' every night.")

Those aren't PSAs, they're commercials for Cascade dishwasher detergent 😂 Of course they want you to use a dishwasher!
  • Fatgonegirl
    Fatgonegirl Posts: 126 Member
    edited September 2021

As I said earlier, I love transformation stories. So the hook for me is watching these people living in hell on earth transform. Some don't though. They are deep in denial and victimhood. Sometimes there is drug use.

On all the shows I've watched, there was some sort of childhood abuse - emotional, physical, and/or sexual. I root for them and am delighted when they succeed and sad when they fail. Everyone goes through some sort of denial where they tell the doctor they are following the diet and eating 1200 calories per day, but the scale shows that they are not. Most of them break through this point and go on to succeed.

h1pgchednqjm.png[/quote]

Thank you for posting this. I have always felt a bit uncomfortable watching My 600lb Life because of the extreme situation and the struggles they go through. Some of it feels intrusive, for instance, the shower scene at the start. I am very conscious that the programme may be edited to make them and/or their family look bad. That doesn't make me switch off because I like to see the transformation and people beating the odds

Some do amazingly well, although sadly some are not able to make the changes necessary
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    amart4224 wrote: »

Those aren't PSAs, they're commercials for Cascade dishwasher detergent 😂 Of course they want you to use a dishwasher!

: :D
    Not a very good commercial if it doesn't make me remember the product, is it? :D
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I think it's because these very large individuals on 600 lb life don't want to or can't stand up to do the dishes, in addition to getting delivery/takeout food rather than cooking at home. I would only buy paper plates if I were hosting a large party or going to an outdoor picnic/bbq.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

I rise most stuff before putting in dishwasher because if you don't and it isn't run fir 2-3 days starts to smell like *kitten*.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    edited September 2021
    I don't normally have paper plates on hand, but I oftentimes use paper towels as a "plate" for something like a non-messy sandwich, or facial tissue for snacks like cookies. Shake off the crumbs and they're good to use for their original purpose.