Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What’s your pet hate at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    People with no *kitten* awareness of where they are. Which I guess is common in society in general.

My gym has a nice 25 yard by 2 yard piece of field turf and a Prowler sled to be used on the turf. In addition, the space is great for walking lunges, farmers carries, etc. on either side of the turf there is 20+ feet of space

There are 2 signs asking people not to stretch on the turf area (it's not padded at all), but guess what, people will plop down on the turf when there is loads of space right next to it. The trainers setting up their clients on it are some of the worst offenders.

Also people with their head down on their phones will walk across the turf, not paying attention to anyone actually using it. Have seen several people get close to being wiped out.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The yappers that camp out on a bench and gab with whoever will listen to them. Get off the damn machines if you’re not lifting!!!

Groups of 3 that take over the bench press rotating between themselves for an hour. I can adjust to work around equipment in use, but not if you monopolize it for an hour.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Women who follow us around, echoing our monthly workout sheets as we execute our coach's instructions "for our optimal body goals"... Annoying a.f. Pay for your own damn assessment/program.

Further, 25# or 45# lifters who hog weight machines, benches, spaces in the free weights area for hours texting/clueless/taking selfies.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,591 Member
    Options
    loving the disagreeeeeees

someone please explain to me where the humor is in talking about your spouse with so much naked contempt, idgi

You're reading a tone. You have no idea what the real tone was in the remarks. You have no idea what their joint idea of humor is. You have no idea how the person posting embellished or spun the story to make it funny, which clearly they were trying to be (hint: the reveal that the poster works out at home and the mocking woman with the beer is the poster's wife is what's called a punchline -- and before you get excited, "punch" lines aren't about domestic violence).

okay but like

why is it funny to talk about your spouse, a person whom you purportedly love enough to have made it official in the eyes of the state and/or your God, in a disparaging manner?

genuinely, why is that A Thing, in the parlance of my generation? I'm reading exactly the tone that was intended, WiFe BaD sO FuNniE. It's a bad joke, the whole class of them are bad jokes that aren't funny. I'm beginning to think the jokes won't die until the people making them do. Stop trashing your spouse for the lulz.

I don't see it remotely as being in that class of joke. It's about this horrific image of a person going out of her way to mock total strangers as entertainment (complete with drinks and snacks) being turned on its head by the reveal that it's a home gym.

It's not: My wife is such a nag. You should see our blacksmith bills. Ba dum tss!

I had to read that 3 times to get it all the while thinking if you have to explain a joke, it's not funny. 😁
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Kmb4391 wrote: »
    At my gym we have this women who comes in two or three times a week and just hangs out to judge people. She'll plant her butt down on whatever she can find to sit on and just mock everything the rest of us are doing. On multiple occasions, I've seen her eating snacks and drinking what I'm pretty sure was a beer. I keep reporting her to management but I'm pretty sure she's sleeping with that guy.

Also....I workout at home...
    Don't tell my wife I brought her up on the internet.....

:smile:

ah yes, "wife bad" boomer humor, hilarious. you know, kids these days are trying a crazy new thing called "don't marry someone you hate," but i guess there's something to be said for the classics.

on topic -

dear old man at pf: there's literally the whole rest of the room for you to set up your mat and do your situps or whatever. it is 6 AM and you and I are the only living beings here. could you maybe not set up three feet away from me?

What difference does the person's age or sex make?
  • Tito_Tim
    Tito_Tim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In general, people that do not wipe down equipment!
    At my condo gym specifically, they never turn on the aircon. 90 degrees at 90% humidity-we need aircon.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Tito_Tim wrote: »
    At my gym we have this women who comes in two or three times a week and just hangs out to judge people. She'll plant her butt down on whatever she can find to sit on and just mock everything the rest of us are doing. On multiple occasions, I've seen her eating snacks and drinking what I'm pretty sure was a beer. I keep reporting her to management but I'm pretty sure she's sleeping with that guy.

That is funny (no, I am not a boomer). I told it to my wife - she thought it was funny, and she is a millennial...

Not that age is a barrier to a sense of humor. But some folks here seem to have none. So sad for them.

Replace old man with fat man or fat woman and see if there is a sense of humor about that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Tito_Tim wrote: »

That is funny (no, I am not a boomer). I told it to my wife - she thought it was funny, and she is a millennial...

Not that age is a barrier to a sense of humor. But some folks here seem to have none. So sad for them.

Replace old man with fat man or fat woman and see if there is a sense of humor about that.

There was no "old man" in that story to replace.