How much do you spend on groceries each week?

Options

Replies

• Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    WOW, I've heard that Australia's cost of living is high compared to the rest of the world and now I believe it. On average I would say I'd spend at least $250 per week on groceries for my family of 4. I cook six out of seven nights and pack lunches for our two children on week days. Our take-away food is expensive so that's normally only once a week.
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This came up in a thread last night and a guy called BS on me spending less than $122 per week on a family of 3. I can EASILY do that and in fact spend no more than $100 per week.
    Another guy thought I was full of BS too saying he spent $60 on some veggies and a tub of dip. Not organic. But when I compared the cost of the same items where I shop, it was $26.
    I shop at Safeway and don't bother buying "name" or "popular" brands. I always look at club card savings and refer to weekly coupons and use that as my decisions to purchase what I need that week. Meat stays the same week in and week out.

So how much do you spend and do you think you could do better?
  • New_Atti2ude
    Options
    I can so relate. I have a few cousins and aunts who swear I spend a fortune at the grocery store. Well I don't. I go big shopping two times a month, ranging from 150 to 175 dollars and in between I go to the store to pick up odds and ends making sure that I only bring 30 bucks tops, and I do this the week after my shopping trip to refresh or replace items. I feed 3 including myself but I cook enough to feed 6, I was raised with tons of siblings and cousins so we always have left overs.
  • New_Atti2ude
    Options
    That's just groceries I'm also learning how to stock pile with coupons and I have a little "bodega" in my utility closet stocked with household needs and cosmetics and I spend 150 once a month on that sometimes less depends on sales and coupons.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options

Whatever the store is called. I never heard of it here on the east coast or the gulf coast. I said that because you made a post in here acting like me and some other user were trying to push Shakeology. I made a post in a thread called "SHAKEOLOGY" about how I like it and drink it. (1st reply in the thread) Another user made a post comparing the cost to food. Then you are the one who went on about how it's a rip off, comparing to other products and comparing it to how you only pay $122 a week for food..blah blah

Then once I said fine and tried to drop the subject, you came here and created a whole new thread! I am bigger then you are, therefore I probably eat more. So I probably spend more in food. I also live across the country. Where prices are different... But once again... who really cares? I made a simple comment and you fill the need to try and prove me wrong.
    Let's get it right. The whole debate started because I mentioned for the $122 a month being spent on shakes, I could get a cart full of food for a week. You called BS and said I either shopped at mom and pop stores or I was LYING. By inferring that I was "lying" about grocery cost isn't a "simple" comment, but an actual slap in the face on my integrity. Then I was curious about if I was the only one who spent $100 or less on food. I mentioned no names, nor the thread the comments originated from. Apparently there are many people who shop like I do an feed a family for under that $122.
    And prices aren't that much different and are actually even cheaper in the Safeway I used to shop at on the east coast in VA (lived there for 11 years and moved back to CA in 2009), especially with HALF the cost in sales tax.
    Anyway, the point was for you to just see what other people spent. Some are over $100, but there are lots that do it under that amount.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    $100 a week for a family of 3??? I'd like to know what you are buying! Are you one of those couponers?? We spend about $150-$180 every week and a 1/2....about?
    Flanken ribs, pork ribs, steak, chicken, a box of cereal, milk , juice, eggs, mozzerella cheese sticks, hearts of romaine, bell peppers, tomatoes, avocados, nectarines, apples, bananas, deli meat, wheat bread, raw almonds and frozen lunches.
    I buy deals of the week by whomever is offering. Many times they have "buy one get one free" and I take advantage of it. Who wouldn't? And if there is an instant coupon (I don't do rebates) I'll use it.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    About $150 /wk ... for a family of four... BECAUSE --- my family hates the food I eat and I have to cook separate meals. I've tried MULTIPLE times to cook them some of my stuff but they refuse to eat it.. boo!
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    About $150 /wk ... for a family of four... BECAUSE --- my family hates the food I eat and I have to cook separate meals. I've tried MULTIPLE times to cook them some of my stuff but they refuse to eat it.. boo!

I would never cook two separate meals! I don't buy junk so if they think they can do better with the food that has been supplied then they can cook it them selves.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    We spend 160-200 a week, we are gluten free, vegetarians with vegan tendancies and lately have been eating about 50-60% raw, I pretty much only shop bulk and produce, nothing I buy CAN be couponed! I have never been able to walk into a store like safeway and find the things I am looking for, so I shop at whole foods, a local grocer, a bulk buying group, and we go down to the bobs red mill store and buy our grains in 25 lb bags ( and save over 50% )

Edited to add we are a fam of 5
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sad. If I were you, I'd still cook it for them and leave them no options. Get all the junk out of the house. People will eat just about anything if hungry enough. Like anything else, it takes time to learn to like something you're unaccustomed too.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Average $150-$200 for family of four. I try to cook at home and save money but when it comes down to it, I'd rather spend more money on healthy food.

not including diapers or cat food.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    We spend 160-200 a week, we are gluten free, vegetarians with vegan tendancies and lately have been eating about 50-60% raw, I pretty much only shop bulk and produce, nothing I buy CAN be couponed! I have never been able to walk into a store like safeway and find the things I am looking for, so I shop at whole foods, a local grocer, a bulk buying group, and we go down to the bobs red mill store and buy our grains in 25 lb bags ( and save over 50% )

A Bob's Red Mill store?!!
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yup!! A bobs store, I am about 20 mins from the mill, so they have an amazing store right next to it, bulk, 25 lb bags of everything, a resturaunt, bakery etc, its awesome
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Yup!! A bobs store, I am about 20 mins from the mill, so they have an amazing store right next to it, bulk, 25 lb bags of everything, a resturaunt, bakery etc, its awesome

I'm completely jealous of you right now!!!! ggrrrrr....
  • Forneil
    Options
    $150 bucks every week for two, it seems. Though I shop at New Seasons, and Trader Joes for Organic choices.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Family of three here and I spend maybe 50-70 pounds a week. I buy a lot of fresh food which actually works out so much cheaper if you do not shop at supermarkets.
  • AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options
    £150 - £200 a week
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I very much think that your spend depends a lot on how much work you put into it and what you are willing to sacrifice (when I was a uni I often lived on $30 Australian per 2 weeks by cooking bulk meals with vegetarian protein and freezing! These days we often spend over 100 pounds each week (2 of us in London) but that's only because we don't pay any attention to price at all, we just get what we want and sometimes stuff goes off before we get a chance to use it!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Our family (2 adults, one toddler, one cat) spends $100-150 per week on groceries but I think life's slightly more expensive here than in the US. This includes my lunches but not my OH's and my kiddo's.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    for two adult people on 'healthy' diets...about 100 or so a week.