WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,980 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka – It is not actually raining this minute, but the sidewalks and deck are wet. Hummingbirds are at the feeders and I’m back to poisoning ants with Raid. I keep the spray well away from the bird feeders. :star:

Mary from MN/AZ - Welcome back! :bigsmile:

Heather – Taking time off with your brother is brilliant. I hope you have a grand time together. :flowerforyou:

Lisa – Congrats on meeting all of your September goals. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Terri – It is good to see you posting! :star:

Dr. Katie – Thank you for defining doughty! Brave and persistent are excellent qualities. :flowerforyou:

Carol in GA- I hope that October is a happier month for you, and a good one for all of us. :heart:

DH & I live in Halloweentown, a block or so from the entrance to Old Town St Helens. We will have to pay to go inside if we want to go. I am grumpy about the notion that I have to pay to walk down a public sidewalk a block from our house. I think I’ll call the city today to find out whether we can get passes to come and go.

Katla the Grouch

To keep the ants away from my hummingbird feeder, I spray Pam around the pole that it is hanging one- the ants can't or won't go through it.

I hope you can get passes- It isn't right that you have to pay when you live right there.
    Debbie
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Malynda! My name is actually Melinda Kay, but I’ve been called Kay my whole life. I always thought Melinda was prettier. I like your spelling of it.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Typical fall weather- chilly in the morning, it is now 91 at 3:35PM.
    Very glad it is Friday. just one more hour until my daycare girl goes home(maybe a little sooner but doubt it. Step grandpa picks her up on Fridays and he always runs late then likes to visit with dh for a while(they are friends).
    No plans for this weekend- I am sure there will be some shopping. There always is. Dh's favorite past time after sitting in his room, watching tv.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka – It is not actually raining this minute, but the sidewalks and deck are wet. Hummingbirds are at the feeders and I’m back to poisoning ants with Raid. I keep the spray well away from the bird feeders. :star:

Mary from MN/AZ - Welcome back! :bigsmile:

Heather – Taking time off with your brother is brilliant. I hope you have a grand time together. :flowerforyou:

Lisa – Congrats on meeting all of your September goals. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Terri – It is good to see you posting! :star:

Dr. Katie – Thank you for defining doughty! Brave and persistent are excellent qualities. :flowerforyou:

Carol in GA- I hope that October is a happier month for you, and a good one for all of us. :heart:

DH & I live in Halloweentown, a block or so from the entrance to Old Town St Helens. We will have to pay to go inside if we want to go. I am grumpy about the notion that I have to pay to walk down a public sidewalk a block from our house. I think I’ll call the city today to find out whether we can get passes to come and go.

Katla the Grouch

Both of these work to keep ants out of the hummingbird feeder. (I misplaced the copper one and went with the cheaper chemical one in the hopes that the copper one would show back up. Which it did - the season after I gave away the feeder, which I was tired of maintaining. The hummies were plenty happy with my flowers.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQ1U5OO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZRVZIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    I’m new to these challenges. But I am happy there is an over 50 group! I’m 56 and I have gained about 10 lbs since the beginning of the pandemic. That is all I want to lose, hopefully by the end of this year. I hope this small amount doesn’t sound ridiculous. But I have developed some habits I never had, like eating potato chips to help with anxiety, and eating even though I’m not hungry. I have a bunch of clothes I love that are getting tight.

I’ve stepped up my exercising recently. I like doing yoga, riding my bike, swimming and walking. My goal is to eat more mindfully, eat more veggies and fruit, move more, and count calories, but generally not deprive myself too much.

The pandemic has really dominated my psyche, it feels like there is no getting away from it. So I am also trying some cognitive therapy self-help, like trying not to listen to the Inner Critic.

I’m Lollo
    Cheers from Vancouver, Canada

welcome Lollo/"Hamstercheeks"- love your nickname- big hamster fan here.

working on your weight now when you have just 10 lbs to loose is so much easier than letting it get really out of hand and then have that much more to loose.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    Floor before
    njtbr7i6eih5.jpeg
    r532qjgica3t.jpeg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Rebecca sorry to hear about your youngest son and his communication! My son does not communicate unless I communicate with him. Luckily he got married and his wife calls me quite often. My husband tells me that it's normal for men. Not to worry about it. He'll call me if he need me. It's still hard though.

<3 Mary from Minnesota/ Arizona
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did Firm Ultimate Fat Burning Workout DVD then went for my walk. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Yoga for Beginners DVD then go for a walk.

Karen VA – After finishing the prednisone, like you, I lost a lot of water weight. At least 3 lbs if not more.

Flea – you are in my thoughts (((hug)))

Bought some protein powder yesterday but I think I’m going to take it back. A 2lb container will last me years and years and years. Amazon had one that was a 1lb container. That will probably only last me years and years. I don’t use it much, but sometimes I do need to supplement my protein. Update: took it back

Almost forgot that this is October! Thank you, barbie.

Tracey – what cute bisque. Are you going to put the mini-lights around it? Have you picked out the colors yet? One of the things I like about ceramics is that things can be any color you want them to be. The other nice thing is that if you need something with, say, orange, in it for your kitchen, you can just paint whatever orange or with orange accents.

Mary – seriously, I was just thinking of you this morning! You sure have been busy. I’m so sorry for your DIL. Are you still doing the kettlebells? Now where is Penny? How’s Shep?

Terri – oh how true it is that the closer you are to goal weight, the harder it is to lose! I can see from when I went off the prednisone. Some days I’d lose (according to the Wii) a pound. Today it was only 2 ounces

pip – thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Barbie – I was looking forward to finding out what doughty meant, too.

Allie – it’s good to be reminded of all you went thru. Don’t worry about not putting your story in a spoiler. Plus...it wasn’t like that post went for pages and pages

Rebecca – I say we skip winter and do spring/summer/even Fall twice!

Went to the soup kitchen then the Green Room. Came home and Vince could finally get his car so he’s one happy puppy. I think I may go for a walk after dinner.

Janetr – what a wonderful granddaughter you had there! I’m so sorry for your loss, but know that a part of her is living on.

Malynda – welcome. You’ve come to a great place for support, that’s for sure

lollo – welcome. I, too, struggle with eating even tho I’m not hungry, more out of boredom than anything else

Still doing the “training” for BK. Boy, do they REALLY think that a high school kid is going to sit thru all this? I find that I can do a little, then need to take a break. Well, I’ll get thru it, probably this weekend.

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Rebecca sorry to hear about your youngest son and his communication! My son does not communicate unless I communicate with him. Luckily he got married and his wife calls me quite often. My husband tells me that it's normal for men. Not to worry about it. He'll call me if he need me. It's still hard though.

<3 Mary from Minnesota/ Arizona

Since I have communicated with the ships Chaplain, I feel better. My son has decided that not communicating is his way of coping. I need to respect that, but its hard on me, something I need him to realize when I can talk to him face to face. Hugs dear friend! I am an OMADer now. My skin condition has gone into a sort of remission, which I am thankful for. Its that glorious autophagy.👍💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    Michele, yes I know you are my "heat freak" lover!😁🌞
    I am wearing socks at night, and have my grandma's afghan blanket on my side of the bed, Lee has his. We cuddle, well until his arm is a ton brick on my hip....😳🙃😂
    Rebecca

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    JanetR

I'm so sorry
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Today was shopping day, plus going to other places for vitamins, and our favorite hearty grain bread. Lee (husband) and I have decided to buy a salad bag every week and have a lunch of that. Its got the dressings, plus croutons, and I usually add stuff like tomatoes, cucumbers, and artichoke hearts. Lee usually eats a sandwich or soup after his salad, while I have the salad as a main meal.
    After shopping my stomach was upset, partly empty/ partly side ache. I slept for two hours HARD! I guess I needed it. Had a toasted bagel and chicken broth after I woke up. Then coffee and one of my banana bread loaves.

Tonight watching Sumo and yelling for our favorites.🙃😁. This weekend, I am making my chicken fried rice. I get lots of hugs from Navy son, its his favorite. Tonight Lee made ramen and gyoza for son. All just heating up water and nuking, but between the two of us, our eldest son is spoiled.💖. He leaves in late January/early February for Guam so this will be a couple holiday months of spoiling. He is hoping to extend his time to a 6 year tour, instead of four. That will take him to retirement. We are crossing our fingers for him to make 1st Class Petty Officer. I think he'll find out the next month or so, if he made it.

Nothing from youngest Navy son. I want to connect with his Chaplain, but Lee said the Chaplains job isn't to play nurse maid to worried parents. I connected with the Chaplain this past January, after no word after the holidays, then again this past June. So no text from son since June 2020, and no phone call since April 2019. Those are the stats, but I know he's ok from what the Chaplain told me. So he's a good sailor, but a lousy communicator. And I need to be ok with that. I wrestle with my emotions about that. I usually just connect with middle son, or eldest and it resets me.
    Hugs
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

I can't imagine going over two years not hearing my son's voice or well over a year from hearing from him.
    Does he contact his brothers or anyone else that you could get info from?
    HUGS!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    I decided to change the plans for today. :D
    As DH was finding company a bit wearing , I thought it would be a super idea to take my brother and wife out into town and let them buy me my birthday lunch out, while DH stayed at home and had a cheese sandwich. Great plan! :D
    We went to a posh fish restaurant that I know has NO music. We shared a bottle of white wine and I had oysters for starter, followed by garlicky scallops and creamed spinach. Just about my favourite lunch and actually the best scallops I have ever had. :D<3 Everyone enjoyed their choices.
    After a browse around the Lanes, lots of walking, we headed for M&S where we stocked up with starters and dessert for dinner. They also bought DH'S birthday present of a small Christmas cake and a posh bottle of wine. :D
    All marvellous. Then we caught the bus home for a nap.
    So, tonight's menu is - nibbles and aperitif - wild boar chorizo, hummus, tzatziki, anchovy olives.
    Dinner - chilli con carne, tortilla wraps, creme fraiche, guacamole, fresh salsa, refried beans, lettuce.
    Dessert - tarte au citron, fresh mango and pomegranate.
    Wine of choice.
    :pB)<3

Tomorrow's breakfast is my birthday breakfast of bagels, scrambled eggs and bacon. No lunch and then tea and cake with the family. Edie is making the cake with Daddy's help.
    Evening will be champagne and faux caviar blinis and iberico ham. :D

Happy me! I will be waking them up soon for our extended tapas session! Will get salsa and lettuce chopped first.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Happy Birthday!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka-I think the airfare to/from Canada is due to COVID. It's irrationally high because they want to discourage tourism. I priced it for a work trip and it was over $20K to Australia from California, which is not the norm. I think that'll change as borders start to open up again.

Welcome back, Janet and Mary.

Tina in CA

Technically, Australia's international borders are closed. I could probably leave and go to Canada (if I had a small fortune to work with), but I probably couldn't come back.

And right now, Tasmania's borders are closed to most of the rest of Australia.

However, we (husband and me) can't leave Tassie anyway. Fortunately it is a pretty place. :)

M in Oz