Do your friends have a right to judge you….and you, them?

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I don't care about pictures. If I'm not in them or no one is having sex, then who gives a *kitten*?

This would be my answer as well.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I would be upset... this is a place for support, not judgement.

Telling someone you think their profile pic is unflattering is not judgment,its an opinion.

^^^This. You're not judging a friend; you're telling them that you know they look better than what they do in that particular picture.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My picture is my body, I put my bathing suit on at the end of every month and take a photo. I have it up to remind myself of what I look like and my goals. It has nothing to do with anyone else, it's my health my fitness and my body. Who cares?
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    As for pictures, if someone tells me I'll re-evaluate the picture. If I agree it'd get removed, if not I'd keep it. People like different things, I expect people to be honest to me.
  • macpatti
    Options
    and winner for most controversial poster goes to........ drum roll, please................................................ OP!!! :drinker:

You contributed nothing here.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I don't have any friends that are easily offended. I just tell them. "Dude, your profile picture suuuuuuuuuucks." I don't hang out with people that find drama necessary.

LOVE this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Especially on an internet forum, if someone that you've really never met said something and you take it personally, then I think you have thin skin and are too wrapped up on cyberspace. Wasting energy and time on people's opinions who really have no impact on your life should be the least of your worries.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    If you have a profile pic posted, (this goes for any social networking site, not just MFP) and your friend told you it was “unflattering”, would you be upset? Obviously YOU think the pic is fine, which is why you posted it, but what if you hear from your friend(s) that the pic isn’t the best representation of you?

Or, flip the script. Would YOU tell a friend if they had a photo that wasn’t right? If so, then how would you say it without offending them?

the reason i joined mfp and tried to change my lifestyle was because of jokes about my weight and appearance from friends, who i laughed with at the time but deep down it cut into me so bad i couldn't sleep at night. ironic thing is, they weren't in anywhere near great shape themselves...but I'll have my day in the sun because we will meet again soon ( we meet every year as we are all in different countries around the world), and i know for sure it will be ME thats making the snide remarks to THEM...and they won't have a leg to stand on when I do. I'm counting the days until that can happen.

To answer your question: if we all took offence to what people say, then you have to ask yourself who you really want to please..if they don't matter then why punish yourself unnecessarily?
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    this is just looking for unnecessary drama. if someone said that to you, and you don't agree, ignore them. if you can't ignore them, simply tell them they're free to have their own opinion (which they are) but you wouldn't have put it up if there wasn't something about it you liked, and your opinion matters more.

if you are looking to tell a friend this - why would you go out of your way to try and change his/her view of him/herself to something negative? they obviously like the picture, their opinion matters more than yours when it comes to their own profile... leave it alone. if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Yes, my friends do have the right to judge me, have an opinion and express that opinion to me if they so wish. Being my friends I hope they would provide their views in a positive and constructive way even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Everyone "judges" all the time. How you express or convey that judgment is an entirely separate matter.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    My friends are all adults. They can put up whatever they want, not my business.

Now if it's an unflattering pic of me, they had better not put it up.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    and winner for most controversial poster goes to........ drum roll, please................................................ OP!!! :drinker:

You contributed nothing here.

My bad. NO, I would not be offended and I would only tell someone if they asked for a brutally honest opinion.... And, I still think this, like many other posts made by the OP was pretty controversial (but fun, too). :tongue: There. Happy now?
  • Aj1214
    Aj1214 Posts: 120
    Options
    I think "judge" may be the wrong word. My friends are allowed (and encouraged) to call me out on any and all BS.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    SO how do you like my profile pic hahahahaha I find it very flattering:wink:
  • papa5280
    Options
    I would be upset... this is a place for support, not judgement.

Telling someone you think their profile pic is unflattering is not judgment,its an opinion.

^^^This. You're not judging a friend; you're telling them that you know they look better than what they do in that particular picture.

Except, if it's someone you've never actually met face to face, maybe this pic is the best they can look. Then, what you're telling them is "you can't possibly really be as ugly as you are". At least, that's how they might hear it.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Saying a picture in not flattering is another way of saying "You really look better than that picture makes you appear".

If you disagree I think it's about time for you to admit that "Does this make my butt look fat?" is not an honest question,.... it's a trap.
  • Aj1214
    Aj1214 Posts: 120
    Options
    I have a blanket policy on such traps--spring them.
  • SNOWMAN101750
    SNOWMAN101750 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    GOOD ONE
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    SO how do you like my profile pic hahahahaha I find it very flattering:wink:

I would say you're making great progress. Your zombie transformation is almost complete.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I don't care about pictures. If I'm not in them or no one is having sex, then who gives a *kitten*?

I think you meant 'into them' as in attracted to them...but I'm going to take what you said as you said it since that phrase is WAY funnier.

As for the pictures, I think you're making something out of nothing. If someone tells you that, and you care about their opinion (if you don't I don't care I don't expect you'd be posting this) take a good look at your picture and decide for yourself. At that point either change it or don't and move on. With telling other people, again, look at the circumstances. Do you honestly think changing the picture to something more flattering would improve the person in any way (be it make them more confident, have less people talk negatively about them, whatever). If yes, consider the person you want to tell. If that person can take criticism constructively, then say something. If not...let it go.