Can anyone help

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Yes I am staying under 1200 calories religiously. Some on here are saying if you don't eat enough, your body will hang onto weight and I think that is what is happening to me. But even though I have reached a plateau after initial weight loss, I have lost 2 inches in my waist.

Your body can hang on to *water* for various reasons, but your goal is *fat* loss.

Undereating is stressful to the body, which can raise your cortisol levels, leading to water retention.

If you are eating under 1200 calories, especially if you are not eating back your exercise calories, you are definitely undereating.
  • Jillian55190
    Jillian55190 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your post felt insulting and not helpful. I am back to losing again, it is like my body took 9 days off. Please don't post on here unless it is helpful.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo many responses, so little time. :)
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Yes I am staying under 1200 calories religiously. Some on here are saying if you don't eat enough, your body will hang onto weight and I think that is what is happening to me. But even though I have reached a plateau after initial weight loss, I have lost 2 inches in my waist.

So you are willing to miss your eating goal by how much, what %?

Are you willing to miss your goal weight by say the same % and call it close enough?

A goal is something you usually try to reach, right, if not even go above and beyond.
    Not miss. (never mind the fact you have misunderstood how the goal works in this case)

Yes, reread Ann's points as to the effects you can look forward to if you keep this up.
    You have classic symptom of water weight gain due to increased stress - terrible state for body to be in - that will backfire eventually.

Add to it likely joining the 80% that either fail to reach or fail to maintain goal weight for over 6 months.
    Due to exactly those same effects on the body.

Despite the fact so many people appear to enjoy attempting weight loss, based on the fact they restart doing it every year, really ask if you want to join that group.
    Yes, you get great deals on gym memberships in Jan - but still...

The bolded is something I would have never known anyone on MFP thought this way until I read this. Very disheartening.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are normal. What matters is the overall trend.
    https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options

I suspect that 1200 is too low for you.
    I am losing weight at about 1 1/2 pounds a week, and am extremely sedentary because of disability. And I am eating more than you.

You have gotten great advice from other people here. I hope you can take their words to heart.