How do you deal with stress?

Options

Replies

• OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I like to hang with my dogs.

Or sometimes I lay in bed frozen in pseudo-terror and indecision that makes me emotionally abandon everything and everyone important to me because my brain is simultaneously racing and paralyzed and I can’t think of anything but how much my heart is pounding

Stuff like that

Ayyyye my kind of party!
  • Sofiapilla
    Sofiapilla Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like to hang with my dogs.

Or sometimes I lay in bed frozen in pseudo-terror and indecision that makes me emotionally abandon everything and everyone important to me because my brain is simultaneously racing and paralyzed and I can’t think of anything but how much my heart is pounding

Stuff like that

Ayyyye my kind of party!

BYO Existential Crisis 😆
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Escapism works for me. Cave. Cocoon. Under blankets. That type of thing. :/

ATM I'm trying to deal with a huge pity party, living with past and present regrets. I swear it all causes a sort of paralysis of the brain and body. :(
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    Depends. Sometimes I talk my fur baby for a walk. Sometimes I take it out on the heavy bag, other times I throw my hatchets and knives. Sometimes, I drink or eat or both. Otherwise I just say "Serenity now!" and bottle it up deep inside.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    erl1z47e2gd8.jpg
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    erl1z47e2gd8.jpg

That's the same thing my dog told me!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Meditate, take a walk with the dogs, make some art, and read books are just a few things I do to reduce stress. Meditation works the best and I need to go back to a formal sitting practice since I tend to doze off in other settings.
  • OpheliaCooter
    Options
    I was trying out alcoholism for a week or two and was also tempted to start smoking out of nowhere but decided ultimately that I’m not a teenager anymore and it’s just too late in the game to pick up long term habits.
    So I’m back on the sweets.
    I fantasize about coping with exercise but I’m just not there physiologically.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    I was trying out alcoholism for a week or two and was also tempted to start smoking out of nowhere but decided ultimately that I’m not a teenager anymore and it’s just too late in the game to pick up long term habits.

Were we twins at birth maybe? :)
  • OpheliaCooter
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Were we twins at birth maybe? :)

Definitely twins later in life 😜
    You’ve got good reason to be stressed though, I’m just me... stressin’ 🍩🍭🎂
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options
    I detach myself from everything and everyone. Not healthy but that's what I've been doing. I also drink beers and stuff.
  • ReenieHJ
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I detach myself from everything and everyone. Not healthy but that's what I've been doing. I also drink beers and stuff.

I'm very good at the detachment thing too. Also when I'm depressed, angry, bored, irritated, afraid. Mainly I'm just a detached person. I spent my working life isolating myself with my work then sit back and wonder why I've got no friends. :/
    Define stuff though? I have to admit I consider myself a former alcoholic before I ever started having children but stopped as soon as I had my first baby. And I did have 1 drink while we had company a week ago but I could actually see myself falling back into the 'kill my emotions' routine too easily. :( Right now it's the food. And it's not vegetables I'm craving either. Ugh, all the sugar please. :s
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Mostly right now I just push through it and keep doing what has to be done. I'm sure I'm going to crash one day, but I keep praying it won't be in the next couple of months.

On occasion, all the people and critters will be asleep early and I get an hour or so to myself when I can watch TV or read a book and eat ice cream.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Exercise in general, but particularly something like mountain biking or going for a hike in the mountains where I can enjoy some beautiful scenery and fresh air. Regular exercise in general keeps the stress and anxiety away for the most part, but sometimes I just need to get to the mountains. I try to get out on the trails at least once per week on the weekend.

Doesn't always work out, but I also try to take a week long vacation somewhere a couple of times per year and have those relatively evenly split out...so roughly every 6ish months or so. It also has to be a trip just for us...no visiting family somewhere, etc...just a trip for the family. I take a long weekend for myself every couple of months...may or may not go anywhere, just take some time to decompress, though I often take that time to go camping.
  • more_oomph
    more_oomph Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    weekends in monaco
  • Eltriste73
    Eltriste73 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I try to remember the “Why” or final purpose of my job/life. I also try to see big picture, which is difficult when emotions run high. I try to remember my anger and frustration when I lift the weights and it helps but only a little. I try to remember that the negative feelings always end up going away at some point.
  • SpicyMeatball82
    SpicyMeatball82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find a good hard workout helps with me deal with stress. Or going outside walking with my music.