Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What do you think?

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    g1m0y4pzo8ha.jpg0katyxh4uwsr.jpg

These are typical lunches I see on my students consume everyday.

Curious if you are concerned or not at all?

Close to child abuse if the same kids are eating like that every day.

I have done years of child care. And gone through actual child abuse cases. Involving the stuff of nightmares.

Yes. This diet, if it is daily fare, is sub-optimal.
    No. It is not even close to abusive.

My wife has a long career in education so I am familiar with the "official" definition of child abuse.

Of course there isn't immediate physical/psychological damage from eating this stuff occasionally.

If a habit, this will most likely lead to a lifetime of obesity and poor health, i.e., long term impact.

If one doesn't like the term child abuse for this substitute child neglect.

OK, but what else do you consider neglect? How about parents who are attached their screens most of the time or give their kids tablets and phones to "play on" for a very young age unsupervised, provide inconsistent or too-harsh discipline (or too lenient), and/or give inconsistent affection and discipline? Those things also can have an impact on a child's development and mental health.
  • Jcmhfp
    Jcmhfp Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2021
    Hi all

Wowza...I actually forgot about this post! And just so you know, these aren't my own pictures. When I saw them, they sure reminded me of what my own students bring to school each day.

I posted these to hear various view points regarding these items - so many view points. All very interesting for sure!

That's a relief to hear! Thank you for the clarification (they're stock photos?).

Without extra context, I'm not too worried about a student lunch like shown (the child has all that food but how much of it are they actually eating?).

When I was a kid I often traded, shared, or just flat out wouldn't eat my lunches. I didn't like how fruit or veggies oxidized or squished in my backpack so would usually opt not to eat those foods at school (I ate lots of them outside of class but my teachers would've never seen that). Was also too embarrassed to eat the otherwise loved tuna celery sandwiches in class. So my parents would then give me food like depicted (Luncheables, Yoplait, chips) because they traveled well, involved minimal prep, and I'd actually eat some of it; sometimes they'd give me "doubles" because they knew I shared with friends who didn't always have a lunch. That's me though - every child's (and parents') situation is different.

It's not an ideal lunch but not concerning unless there's more context here that makes it so (ie - the child is showing signs of malnourishment or other poor health markers linked to diet deficiencies). A lunch like this is not abuse/neglect in of itself - as others have mentioned. For better or for worse, it kind of looks like the spread you'd see at a children's birthday party...
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited October 2021
    g1m0y4pzo8ha.jpg0katyxh4uwsr.jpg

These are typical lunches I see on my students consume everyday.

Curious if you are concerned or not at all?

Close to child abuse if the same kids are eating like that every day.

I have done years of child care. And gone through actual child abuse cases. Involving the stuff of nightmares.

Yes. This diet, if it is daily fare, is sub-optimal.
    No. It is not even close to abusive.

My wife has a long career in education so I am familiar with the "official" definition of child abuse.

Of course there isn't immediate physical/psychological damage from eating this stuff occasionally.

If a habit, this will most likely lead to a lifetime of obesity and poor health, i.e., long term impact.

If one doesn't like the term child abuse for this substitute child neglect.

If leaving your infant in their car seat all weekend and not changing their diaper - resulting in a combination diaper rash and bedsore - (from one of the actual cases I testified in) doesn’t constitute neglect, then feeding your child a hot dog and some sugary yoghurt definitely doesn’t.

(the parents did lose custody a year later, after even worse…)

Don't really give a *kitten* what the court calls neglect. Feeding a child that crap on a regular basis is neglect in my book and the book of anyone that has any common sense.

::shrug::

Personal opinion that this food is unhealthy doesn’t make it neglect.

As has been pointed out here already:
    1) We don’t know what these children eat at home.
    2) Posting this picture without parental permission is a big problem.
    3) It’s food. And enough of it.
    4) Shaming parents who are very likely doing their best under very difficult circumstances is really not OK.

Check what the CDC and USDA has to say about this type of food on a regular basis.

The scientists working for those organizations are smarter than anyone posting on here about nutrition. No knock to anyone on here, just fact.

I'd be very interested in a CDC or USDA cite that calls it child abuse or child neglect.

I would also. Please use your reading comprehension. I said the CDC and USDA are not fans of this type of food on a regular basis.

Never said they called it child abuse/neglect.

Sample guidance from CDC. All the foods shown in the picture from the school are in the red category:

ovq9w2ghm4w8.png

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/ndep/pdfs/7-road-to-health-toolkit-flipchart.pdf
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,869 Member
    I'm not surprised at all. My lizard brain made me feel sick for a second.
  • Jcmhfp
    Jcmhfp Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2021
    Jcmhfp wrote: »
    Hi all

Wowza...I actually forgot about this post! And just so you know, these aren't my own pictures. When I saw them, they sure reminded me of what my own students bring to school each day.

I posted these to hear various view points regarding these items - so many view points. All very interesting for sure!

That's a relief to hear! Thank you for the clarification (they're stock photos?).

Without extra context, I'm not too worried about a student lunch like shown (the child has all that food but how much of it are they actually eating?).

When I was a kid I often traded, shared, or just flat out wouldn't eat my lunches. I didn't like how fruit or veggies oxidized or squished in my backpack so would usually opt not to eat those foods at school (I ate lots of them outside of class but my teachers would've never seen that). Was also too embarrassed to eat the otherwise loved tuna celery sandwiches in class. So my parents would then give me food like depicted (Luncheables, Yoplait, chips) because they traveled well, involved minimal prep, and I'd actually eat some of it; sometimes they'd give me "doubles" because they knew I shared with friends who didn't always have a lunch. That's me though - every child's (and parents') situation is different.

It's not an ideal lunch but not concerning unless there's more context here that makes it so (ie - the child is showing signs of malnourishment or other poor health markers linked to diet deficiencies). A lunch like this is not abuse/neglect in of itself - as others have mentioned. For better or for worse, it kind of looks like the spread you'd see at a children's birthday party...

Sadly, I don't think they're stock photos. I think they are unstaged photos of real children, taken by adults without the knowledge of their parents, being passed around online as examples of poor parenting or even "child abuse." I feel like this is WORSE than OP taking them and posting them herself.

Great point. Was trying to be optimistic/hopeful but.. yeah, no, you're right - it's still inappropriate. That type of scenario is typically toxic and also has the same issues with consent, privacy, confidentiality, and shaming/bullying. That's still someone's kid.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    When I look at the lunches above, I'm open to the possibility that they're a manifestation of love because I know that one of the things that my mom is proudest of is that her kids never went hungry even if that meant some white bread sandwiches and ramen noodles (and rabbit stew).

Agreed.
    I also believe these lunches are - for better or worse - a manifestation of love.
    And it reminds me a bit of this essay:

https://medium.com/the-establishment/poor-people-deserve-to-taste-something-other-than-shame-90eb3aceabf9