Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 165

Replies

• quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,783 Member
    @Nicoles0305 Definitely grains are problematic for me. We no longer keep bread, pasta or rice in the house. I even gain if I eat too many good vegetables in a day - asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower. Those are my favorite veggies. Pre-pandemic I was roasting cauliflower and broccoli for a snack (rather than eating lunch) when my DH was playing cards but too much is too much. It took me awhile to realize the veggies were an issue - that’s part of my “mantra” to wait 2-3 days to see the impact. Also, what affects me may not affect you. Experimentation. I currently aim to stay below 25g of total carbs. More recent studies show that some people are, in fact, affected by all fiber.

https://www.webmd.com/women/features/net-carb-debate

• Nicoles0305
    Nicoles0305 Posts: 313 Member
    @Nicoles0305 Definitely grains are problematic for me. We no longer keep bread, pasta or rice in the house. I even gain if I eat too many good vegetables in a day - asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower. Those are my favorite veggies. Pre-pandemic I was roasting cauliflower and broccoli for a snack (rather than eating lunch) when my DH was playing cards but too much is too much. It took me awhile to realize the veggies were an issue - that’s part of my “mantra” to wait 2-3 days to see the impact. Also, what affects me may not affect you. Experimentation. I currently aim to stay below 25g of total carbs. More recent studies show that some people are, in fact, affected by all fiber.

https://www.webmd.com/women/features/net-carb-debate

It’s really so interesting how different we can be. I’ve known for a year or more now that cheesecake makes me feel terrible. However, ice cream not nearly as much. Yet I can eat cheese like nobody’s business and not have a single issue. I really think it’s the sugar-dairy combo that is so problematic to me.

Soy affects me too. If I make something that uses more than a tbsp or two of soy sauce per serving, the scale shows it in a big way the next day.

Too much fruit in a single day can drastically slow me down, as can most refined grains. I’ve been making sourdough bread fairly regularly for more than a year now, and can eat that without issue. I suspect that’s got something to do with the natural fermentation process involved in making it. All those probiotics seem to help!

However, lately I’ve been noticing cooked cauliflower makes my stomach hurt. Specifically, the frozen riced variety, which makes me so sad. Cauliflower is a favorite of mine, in any form. But my stomach, within 5 minutes of the first bite, starts hurting something terrible. I can eat it raw with no issues though, go figure!
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,783 Member
    @elbee1 Linda, sending prayers for you, your parents, and all of the family.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,761 Member
    @elbee1 Many prayers for your mom & dad. Also for you & hubby. Your strength during all of this is amazing!