60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175
    One day at a time is all you can do. It's a long bumpy road. Bless you.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @Yoolypr
    CONGRATULATIONS! That's wonderful news. Maintaining is hard work!

10/14/21-187.8 lbs today, started at 255 lbs 9/14/20, started low carb 5/14/21-240.5 lbs, down 67.2 lbs, so more than halfway to my goal of 122 lbs, 65.8 lbs to go!!!! Increased my elliptical today from 130 to 140 minutes. Got to 11 miles.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I hope I can share some things that have worked for me. I have weighed 310 lbs. at my highest. I started MFP at 275. I’m now at 175 and want to get to 150. Goal is still overweight but closer to normal BMI. It’s a mental game now to keep losing when most everyone is telling me I’m okay.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,367 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Thank you. I hope I can share some things that have worked for me. I have weighed 310 lbs. at my highest. I started MFP at 275. I’m now at 175 and want to get to 150. Goal is still overweight but closer to normal BMI. It’s a mental game now to keep losing when most everyone is telling me I’m okay.

Keep on keeping on on. We’re here for you.
  • crystaIwings
    crystaIwings Posts: 4 Member
    Options

That's amazing achievement!
  • crystaIwings
    Options
    Hi I have just turned 60. My friend Deanna inspired me to joined this wonderful site.

I hope to build good habits to eat right and exercise regularly, to be able to reverse my diabetes , coupled with reflexology treatment . If you have similar experience and would like to share or exchange information, please add me as friend, we can motivate each other,
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Hi I have just turned 60. My friend Deanna inspired me to joined this wonderful site.

I hope to build good habits to eat right and exercise regularly, to be able to reverse my diabetes , coupled with reflexology treatment . If you have similar experience and would like to share or exchange information, please add me as friend, we can motivate each other,

I did manage to reverse my type 2 diabetes. No longer need meds. But the doctor still monitors my A1C every 6 months. It was 4.9 last time.
  • gigi24_7
    gigi24_7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 63 yrs old from Ontario Canada, who has been plagued with fibromyalgia. I'm trying to cut out eating so much carbs, as I noticed I do feel much better whenever I cut back. And I've found info that says, when a fibromite cuts back on carbs that the fibro pain is eliminated down to 15%!!! Whoo hooo! I'd love to get achieve this goal. However, I don't plan on being super strict as I do like holiday foods, but will try to cut out carbs here & there. For example, on the Canadian Thanksgiving I had a pumpkin pie, but cut out eating the crust and I didn't eat the bun I was given with my meal. I've been hearing that food is going to continue to skyrocket, so plenty of people will be losing weight without wanting to diet, anyway. Somethings, I used to buy before the p a n d e m i c shut d o w n s have doubled in price, in only less than 2 years!! OMG! Good luck people.

• crystaIwings
    Options

I did manage to reverse my type 2 diabetes. No longer need meds. But the doctor still monitors my A1C every 6 months. It was 4.9 last time.

Congratulations! That is awesome! How did you achieve that, would you like to share?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Congratulations! That is awesome! How did you achieve that, would you like to share?

I think what worked for me is cutting back on carbs and avoiding sugar. I usually have only one small serving of carbs per day. So if I’m going to have bread at lunch, no oatmeal for breakfast or potatoes/corn for dinner. MFP can help you track carbs and sugars. I had no specific diet and tried to eat the same meals as my husband. Just much less and worked around the carbs. They do sell low carb pastas, cereals and breads and sugar free items.
    Obviously losing weight was a major help. And exercise 3-4 times a week. I mainly do an hour walk outside. I had to work up my endurance when I started! It will take time but gets easier.
    Try to stick with what you can do for the rest of your life rather than think of it as a temporary diet.
  • richum1960
    richum1960 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Checking in. Maintenance has been very successful so far and been holding at 176 lbs in my street clothes for several months. The key is tracking although I try to be active at least 30 minutes a day and walk a minimum of 4 times a week. The NSV I am seeing is reduced pant size, improved mobility, muscle tone, reduced stress level, and just plain ole feel a lot better.

@alteredsteve175 Still sending positive energy and prayers your way.

Welcome to all the new people. Have a great day!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,805 Member
    Options
    Well done Rick! I am really excited to see a successful maintenance transition and I agree that continuing to track is the key for sure.

Steve still hoping that things take a turn with this break from chemo and you are able to get back to more normal daily lives.

Welcome to everyone!!!!!

• Yoolypr
    Options
    The temperature is in the 70s - instead of the usual 90s for the past 5 months. And low humidity. It’s been two months of low cardio due to a foot stress fracture and hip bursitis. Finally got cleared by the orthopedist to resume longer walks just in time for outdoor weather here. Weights in the gym are okay but outside is better!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    During the worst five months of summer, I often went walking before sunrise. It was cooler and there were lovely deer running around. Of course the armadillo, skunks and possums were out too! I’d get the walk done as the sun rose in time for breakfast. I carried my phone and had a reflective vest. Surprisingly there were often other people out walking too.