60 yrs and up

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Happy Friday, all. Just checking in. Welcome to all the new folks posting in this thread. The support and encouragement that I find on MFP is invaluable for keeping me on track.

I check in on MFP almost every day. Anyone posting here is welcome to send a friend request if you want some mutual support.

Have an awesome weekend, all!

• wandering44
    wandering44 Posts: 27 Member
    RWHoop: congratulations on your weight loss and retirement. Hopefully you will find some fun stuff to do while retired that you could not do while working. Keeping track of your food is a great way to be accountable and that is a key to loosing weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    RWHopp wrote: »
    Hello, It's been several years since I've used this site ... 64 looking at 65 (June); just retired and have the time to do something. Started walking this past Monday, have walked 4 of the last 5 days. Walking is good, my knees are pretty much shot and can not run without my knees swelling up and there just is too much pain. Back up to 225, and want to get down to 200lbs. When I first got on this site, I weighted 327lbs (back in 2016). I know it is a great tool to use, if you're honest. Looking for motivation and people help each other. Thank You and just keep on walking!!!

Oh, man, I so much sympathize: Knees, yikes! (Mine are kinda evil, too, at 65 - torn meniscus, arthritis . . . used to swell, but literally years of working on things that influence them has yielded improvements, no more swelling, less pain, via strengthening, weight loss, even some acupuncture - it's challenging but so worthwhile, IMO.)

Like you, right now I'm ramping up my walking (we just got out of Deep Winter here), looking for the point where it's a tiny challenge, a stretch, but won't cause more damage. That's a balancing act.

Hoping you can find that sweet spot, and reach your goals!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Not quite 60 (57) but I work with a lot of 60-year-olds and know what to do with programming exercises for them based on whatever issue they have. I know about the aches and pains as well. And while I'm in really good shape, I STILL have to watch how much I eat cause it does take much more effort to lose than when I was younger.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    I hear you about the knees! Recently started walking a few miles a day and have been popping tylenol like candy. Hopefully, my knees get used to it because I don't plan on stopping anytime soon! Good luck to you!
  • NicoleBarnes1
    NicoleBarnes1 Posts: 7 Member
    Hello everyone, I'm 63 and not new to MFP. I've been dieting yoyo style all my life always 30-40 pounds to lose, get it off then in a couple year or so it's back on. In 2019 I was diagnose with diabetes and that means I have to be more careful what I eat now. Also HBP and hashimoto thyroid disease. I'm finding it so much harder to lose weight theses last few years, seems what I use to do years ago (mostly counting calories) doesn't work well now. I do try to walk about 3 miles 5 times a week. I'm trying the Keto diet this time around and I'm seeing results in weight loss but I find it's not a good plan for me as I want carbs so much. Good luck everyone, I enjoy reading everyone post , seeing what works for others, and also encouraging to see I'm not alone in this struggle. I'm from east coast Canada.
  • RWHopp
    RWHopp Posts: 2 Member
    Good Saturday to all ... Ate a very good Breakfast this morning. My wife made some homemade Goetta and Eggs for Breakfast ... Been years since I've had goetta ... Love it. Went for a walk around 10:30AM, Brisk walk up hills for 125 Minutes. Relaxed for a while.

My Grandson wanted to go to the High School to run on the Cross Country Course; so while he was working out, I went for another walk ... 45 minutes of a Brisk walk in the parking lot ... Feeling Great.

Here in about an hour I'll start the grill and we're having Pork Ribs, Potato Salad, and what ever else we fix ... Great Day to be alive!!! God Bless!!!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    I am glad to hear that @Karlschaefer, @alteredsteve1, @RetiredAnd LovingIt didn’t have much sideeffects with your 2nd doses. I did but none were the ones I was worried about. I can take feeling tired, having a chill, and feeling a little light headed and taking a half day at work. I made up for it the next week and didn’t even take sick leave. I am not changing my life much except for getting some routine health checks I need to do. Our youngest isn’t eligible yet so we do not want to endanger them.

@RWHopp Congratulations on retiring. Great that you got out walking right away. I have limits with my knees. I can go up hills but not down. Slanted surfaces also bother my needs. We have healthy bigger breakfasts on the weekend and I usually lose better because of that. I’ll have to google Goetta.

I find that if we make healthy home cooked meals at home I do better losing weight. I limit sugar and white carbs. This week was good like the one before. I didn’t exercise on Monday but did strength training on Tuesday and long walks the rest of the week. My youngest went with me and one small one with my husband too. Today we met up with good friends that live here in the summers. They came into town for just a week. We still met outside since our youngest who lives at home isn’t vaccinated yet.
  • dboling83
    dboling83 Posts: 11 Member
    Good morning everyone name is David been on MFP for about 2 months now have lost around 10 lbs
  • dcvrsn
    dcvrsn Posts: 7 Member
    Not walking much today feet are swollen >.....ice and Tylenol are helping. Plan on starting again tomorrow to get my 6500 steps in 😋
  • gwingee
    gwingee Posts: 9 Member
    KeriA wrote: »
    ... I have limits with my knees. I can go up hills but not down. Slanted surfaces also bother my needs. ...

Keri - consider getting some hiking poles to use when walking. They take some weight off the knees. They also help with balance on uneven surfaces. I use them when hiking in hilly or mountainous areas. I also know some other hikers who swear by them, as well.

yk5lmhleuk9t.jpg

Where do you buy them? I have bone on bone both knees but am just NOT ready for surgery. My husband passed and I have an almost 20 yr old dog and I would not trust anyone to walk him etc
  • glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    edited March 2021
    Happy Sunday. Checking in. Back from a short overnight trip. 3 hour drive. Ended up serving food at a wedding. Friend of friend. It was a workout. Food Prep, checking door temps, serving and cleanup. (Can you believe the mother of the bride who caters, catered the wedding herself, including cooking of food prior to arrival of 75 guests, decorations herself with professional buffet tables, fountains, etc., and then got dressed for the procession. It was crazy.) I helped when several helpers didn't show. Tried to eat ketone diet as best as I could. Didn't want to lose my progress. I saw salad, fruit bar and cheese, chocolate fountains, seafood cornbread dressing, fried catfish, stewed chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, vegetable medley, etc. I'm in Lou-is I-Ana! Total of 4 hours on my feet. No exercise, that was exercise. @KeriA homemade meals are my first choice. I love trying recipes from all cultures. I'm glad your vaccine experience was managed ok. Just arrived home. Raked 10 bags of leaves before leaving last weekend. Was windy past week. I see another round of leaves out there. But not today.. Toro zipper bag off track. Wish I could hire out but need all the physical I can get. Rest today. My knees are pretty good unless running on pavement. 63 in April. 6 lbs down and approx 15-20 lbs to go to reach 157-152, ht 5'7". The hiking poles sounds like good advice Steve.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    You're a busy lady Jilly!
  • glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    edited March 2021
    Hello @trekkie123 I don't plan to be sometimes. I lost my husband 3 years ago (after 25 beautiful years. He a P.E. teacher/ basketball coach/deacon. I, a hospital and school nurse, church organist/Sunday school teacher). I do seem busy to most of my friends. I was raised in the country in Michigan where the older folks back then told us teens that we had no backs. Meaning you work and don't complain or they'd find you something else to do. It made me a little tough and plus I hung around my dad, working outside. I try to stay on top of my chores to make things more manageable. One of my favorite mottos per my sons is, "energy makes energy." Meaning you have to move around to get more energy. BTW, I'm Gloria
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    gwingee wrote: »
    KeriA wrote: »
    ... I have limits with my knees. I can go up hills but not down. Slanted surfaces also bother my needs. ...

Keri - consider getting some hiking poles to use when walking. They take some weight off the knees. They also help with balance on uneven surfaces. I use them when hiking in hilly or mountainous areas. I also know some other hikers who swear by them, as well.

yk5lmhleuk9t.jpg

Where do you buy them? I have bone on bone both knees but am just NOT ready for surgery. My husband passed and I have an almost 20 yr old dog and I would not trust anyone to walk him etc

I bought them online on Amazon. You can also get them at REI or Cabela's or any store that caters to outdoor hikers. I saw some for sale in a display at Costco today. Try them - I'm sure your knees will thank you.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Good morning and welcome to all the new joins on the thread. I continue to be well and am feeling grateful that now I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer by the county Health Dept. I had no side effects with either dose. Also, the management at our senior complex arranged for a provider to come and give shots for those that don't drive or haven't been vaccinated yet.

I've planned a trip to see the Grandchildren for Easter. My spirits are high, living with a mask, distanced and hand washing are second nature now. Probably won't ever go back to grocery shopping in store since curbside pickup is a great way to avoid temptations on each isle. Daily walks, tracking my food for the day early each morning and being patient with the slow and steady approach to loss should get me to my desired lower end BMI by my 75th birthday this year.

@alteredsteve175 - My Trail Buddy walking poles have taken my bad knees to beautiful new places I never would have ventured without the balance that adjustable poles can bring. Thanks for the recommendation last year.

Keep moving and keep on tracking y'all.
    Friend Hugs

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    I hear you about the knees! Recently started walking a few miles a day and have been popping tylenol like candy. Hopefully, my knees get used to it because I don't plan on stopping anytime soon! Good luck to you!
    Make sure you have good walking shoes. Gait and heel lift can make a difference on your knees.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png