60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    richum1960 wrote: »
    Checking in. Maintenance has been very successful so far and been holding at 176 lbs in my street clothes for several months. The key is tracking although I try to be active at least 30 minutes a day and walk a minimum of 4 times a week. The NSV I am seeing is reduced pant size, improved mobility, muscle tone, reduced stress level, and just plain ole feel a lot better.

@alteredsteve175 Still sending positive energy and prayers your way.

Welcome to all the new people. Have a great day!

Yay Rich!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    10/17/21-186.2 lbs, down 68.8 lbs of 133 lb loss goal to get to 122 lbs again. I also did 151 minutes on my Elliptical today. I wanted the 12 miles.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,823 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’m older and would like to join this group. Recently, I’ve started to focus on my health after years of abusing it. I haven’t been feeling well physically. Also, taking high blood pressure meds that I’d love to stop taking. At this point I’m just trying to eat healthier. The good news is changing my diet and getting some exercise is letting me lose weight. I’ve barely been at it a week, but feel confident that this is it for me. I can’t not do this. Whew! What awful grammar.

I started my 100+lb. loss 3 years ago. I lost about 35 before that. I’ve been overweight all my life and finally decided to take control at the age of 70. Still want to lose 25 more.
    When you’re older with medical conditions it’s important to work with your doctor early on in your weight loss. I regularly saw the doctor at six month intervals to review my meds and dosages. I did blood pressure and glucose monitoring/recording at home in between visits which gave the doctor a day to day picture of my numbers. Dosages can change as you lose substantial weight. I’m off everything now except for statins.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    alteredSteve- Thanks for the encouragement. I have been on the high blood pressure meds for a couple of years and I don't feel like myself anymore. The doctor will want to try different ones, but I don't want to go through that process. I really want to stop taking them. It's encouraging to see that it worked for you. Also, I know that when I weigh less, my blood pressure goes down. I'm making this a major goal for me.

Yoolpr- Thanks for your story. I've been overweight for a lot of years. It became it's worst during the pandemic. I think I literally spent the first 3 months sitting on the couch and not going out for anything. Needless to say I'm the heaviest that I've ever been. I am motivated now and am going back to the gym and I've also added in some swimming. I'm kind of slow, but steady. I have a phone appointment with the doctor soon. I'll tell her what I'm doing. I have a lot of weight to lose, but I don't feel in a big hurry. Funny thing is, I've always loved exercise and activity, but have stopped everything since the pandemic hit.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    alteredSteve- Thanks for the encouragement. I have been on the high blood pressure meds for a couple of years and I don't feel like myself anymore. The doctor will want to try different ones, but I don't want to go through that process. I really want to stop taking them. It's encouraging to see that it worked for you. Also, I know that when I weigh less, my blood pressure goes down. I'm making this a major goal for me.

Yoolpr- Thanks for your story. I've been overweight for a lot of years. It became it's worst during the pandemic. I think I literally spent the first 3 months sitting on the couch and not going out for anything. Needless to say I'm the heaviest that I've ever been. I am motivated now and am going back to the gym and I've also added in some swimming. I'm kind of slow, but steady. I have a phone appointment with the doctor soon. I'll tell her what I'm doing. I have a lot of weight to lose, but I don't feel in a big hurry. Funny thing is, I've always loved exercise and activity, but have stopped everything since the pandemic hit.

Mel - I'm sure that losing some weight will help you. I donate platelets every couple of weeks and get my blood pressure taken then. Haven't had an extremely high reading in over three years. Usually in the 130 over 80 range and drops even more when I'm leaner.

Great point about another downside of the pandemic. The inactivity that was forced on lots of people. It's hard enough to motivate oneself to exercise. No one is helped by that ready-made excuse - "The gym is closed" - and other nonsense.

Sending you a friend request.

• Yoolypr
    Options
    I was a full time caregiver for a long time. Remember you can’t help anyone if you are run down. So be gentle with yourself too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Checking in. Joint pain is unabated for my wife. Chronic pain must be mentally debilitating as well as physically uncomfortable. I get down about life sometimes, and then I remember that it's worse for her. Much worse. Hanging in, though. Trying to keep it positive. 😁

Thanks for letting me vent in here. It helps.

Certainly, the psychological side of pain is a major factor, and a negative diagnosis comes with its own consequences, even before the pain adds to that challenge. It's a hard road, for both patient and caregiver, just in different ways. You seem to be keeping the reins in hand, @alteredsteve175, and doing quite well staying on course. If venting about it here helps, keep on writing!

Sending wishes for strength, calm, and peace!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    I was a full time caregiver for a long time. Remember you can’t help anyone if you are run down. So be gentle with yourself too.

Thanks, @Yoolypr. Great advice. The counselor at the cancer clinic reminds me every time I see her, too. She says "You have to take care of yourself to be able to take care of someone else".

It is very true.
    I have been my husband’s full time caregiver for over a decade now. He can still do many of his own ADLs, so it isn’t as bad as it could be. But the mental side of watching him slowly decline is hard. As is keeping his physical safety in mind with everything we do and everywhere we go. And figuring out things that will entertain him and not overwhelm him….

I do not feel one bit of shame for also living with my partner. He cares for both of us now that my physical disability is getting to the point where walking is a serious issue. But even before that - some relatives were very upset that I have continued to live my life (with husband’s full knowledge and consent and happiness) in a manner that helps me.

But they don’t call. Those relatives have spent the last decade offering zero help, and nothing but criticism. My husband’s older son even stole thousands from his dad before I stepped in as fiduciary and closed the Bank of Dad permanently. But somehow I’m the bad guy for keeping my husband happy and alive for a decade.

Anyhow, back to my point. Echoing @Yoolypr and @alteredsteve175 - Caregiving is a long, emotionally and often physically draining job. With zero days off. Often for years.

It is absolutely imperative that the caregiver carves out at least a little time to care for themselves also. And however they do that? As long as it doesn’t hurt the loved one being cared for?
    Zero regrets. Zero judgment. Do what you need to do. It’s rough out there. <3

Editing to add: Great news about the eye, @AnnPT77 !
  • bazf1021
    bazf1021 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 66 and live in Sydney, Australia. I have about 27Kg to lose and have just found MFP, so hoping that this will help me on my journey. I am always happy to help others if I am able to. My strengths are that I am able to control myself and eat only 'good' foods in 'good' quantities, with the occasional going off diet for specific happenings in my life, like a social engagement. My weakness is that I am the most unimaginative person in the world and have trouble deciding what to eat, how much, etc, hence the need for guidance in this department.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    bazf1021 wrote: »
    Hi, I am 66 and live in Sydney, Australia. I have about 27Kg to lose and have just found MFP, so hoping that this will help me on my journey. I am always happy to help others if I am able to. My strengths are that I am able to control myself and eat only 'good' foods in 'good' quantities, with the occasional going off diet for specific happenings in my life, like a social engagement. My weakness is that I am the most unimaginative person in the world and have trouble deciding what to eat, how much, etc, hence the need for guidance in this department.

There are really no GOOD or BAD foods. Eat what you enjoy. Just remember to try to eat nutritious meals more often than junk foods. What worked for me was getting a small food scale and measuring quantities of of food. Read labels. And log everything. It will take a few weeks to get familiar with the calories and amounts - yes it will be less than you imagine. Treat your daily calorie allowance like you would money. If you spent 400 calories on cake, you don’t have calories leftover for steak later. When the calorie wallet is empty, you’re done for the day.
    If will take some time to get comfortable logging, measurements and planning. You are forming eating habits rather doing a temporary diet. You have to keep at it every day. Otherwise your weight loss will end up being temporary too.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    bazf1021 wrote: »

Not everyone will agree, but to me experimenting with new foods has been a fun dimension of weight management and healthy eating.

@bazf1021, if you'd like to be more imaginative, the recipes area in the Community may have some new ideas:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/recipes

For veggie/fruit adventures specifically, this thread is pretty fun (it includes a huge variety of produce, and often describes what people do with them, sometimes including recipe links):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10726786/for-the-love-of-produce#latest

It can be fun to experiment with different international cuisines that might be unfamiliar, either through restaurants or recipes. Asian and Middle Eastern/Mediterranean restaurants in my experience here tend to have some calorie-efficient, delicious choices, but they're not the only ones.

One thing I've had fun with is explicitly seeking and trying new veggies/fruits. I found a good produce market locally that has quite a variety of unusual things, a few at a time, but varying as time passes. I go there, see things I've never had, look them up on my phone to learn a little about them (general flavor, how to eat, etc.). Farmers markets here can also be a source for new things to try. If a thing seems manageable, I will buy a small amount and try it. I've discovered some fun new things that I'd never had before, but now will buy periodically when available.

I agree with @Yoolypr that thinking of individual foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy" can be limiting. Sure, some things are poisons, or allergens for a specific individual, but beyond that IMO it's a matter of context and portion size. For example, some people talk about sugar as if it were the devil, but for an endurance athlete (such as marathon runner), pure sugar can be just the thing to eat in the later stages of a competition, to avoid digestive upset, but quickly replenish muscle glycogen so they don't "hit the wall" and maybe fail to finish the event. That's context!

I do tend to think that an overall way of eating can be more healthy or less healthy, but that's more a matter of combining food choices while watching nutritional categories (macronutrients, micronutrients, beneficial phytochemicals, etc.) on average over time, as well as averaging around a calorie level that leads one to a healthy weight and keeps one there.

Welcome to the group, and I wish you much success! You're just about my age (I'll be 66 next month), and have about the same amount to lose that I did during weight loss back in 2015-16, but of course I'm a woman and you obviously aren't! These days, I'm hanging around here to maintain a healthy weight long term - I wish I'd been smart enough to do this decades earlier, personally!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I’ve been reading everyone’s postings. I wish everyone well and better days.. Is life hard because we’re over 60? I don’t know. Today was tough for me. An old, dear friend passed away. It’s affected me more than I thought it would. Also, the scale just won’t go down in the last week. I’ve just started this weight loss journey, and expected to lose more quickly at first. I have a lot to lose. At the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life.
    Sometimes Autumn gets me down. It’s beautiful here, but some sad, memories pop up. Sorry to be such a downer. Usually, I’m very positive about life.

Virtual hugs!

I don't know whether life is harder over 60 - it can be hard for everyone, at any age, I think - but we do start to face new challenges, like the loss of your friend is for you, chronic health conditions for some of us, health conditions of spouses or even widow(er)hood, perhaps challenges with grown children and grandchildren - things we haven't faced earlier, don't have default ways to handle.

Hang in there, you can make this weight loss thing work, I think. I don't know about you, but I'm less resilient to physical stress than I was when I was 20, so slow loss can be a good thing in that context, as well as having the generic advantage of helping us figure out what our successful maintenance habits will be.

I'm with you on the effect of the shortening days on mood: It's a challenge every year. So far, though, Spring comes . . . eventually. I'm thinking I should revive a habit of journaling, maybe gratitude journaling, or something like that.

Wishing you, and all, positive experiences, reasons to feel secure and grateful!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ann. I have a journal I stopped writing in a couple of months ago. I think I’ll start again. Good advice.
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I’ve been reading everyone’s postings. I wish everyone well and better days.. Is life hard because we’re over 60? I don’t know. Today was tough for me. An old, dear friend passed away. It’s affected me more than I thought it would. Also, the scale just won’t go down in the last week. I’ve just started this weight loss journey, and expected to lose more quickly at first. I have a lot to lose. At the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life.
    Sometimes Autumn gets me down. It’s beautiful here, but some sad, memories pop up. Sorry to be such a downer. Usually, I’m very positive about life.

Sorry for your the loss of your friend. Deeper than expected emotions are normal.

I agree that the fall weather can feel melancholy. I was out blowing leaves and a few thoughts about the circle of life got to me.

I am learning to be extra kind to myself and wish the same for you.