Home Fitness Equipment Question

My wife and I are looking at buying a treadmill or an elliptical machine. We already have a stationary bike and I run outside when I can (2-3 times per week).

Any suggestions for us to consider before we buy?

Any problems you've had with one or the other?

Replies

• walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Just curious, have you tried an arc trainer? I like it better than the other two.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    If you are tall, be sure the elliptical has a good stride length. If you are tall and she short, you may need to try a bunch out to see a nice middle ground.
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Just curious, have you tried an arc trainer? I like it better than the other two.

Haven't tried one of those, but they seem to be quite a bit more expensive than the others we've priced. I like the idea of one if I find it cheaper.
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    If you are tall, be sure the elliptical has a good stride length. If you are tall and she short, you may need to try a bunch out to see a nice middle ground.

We're both pretty close to 6-feet tall, so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't know that I would have thought about that though. Thanks for the help.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Sound. A noisy machine is the worst when you workout at home.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Treadmills, look at the best brands. I recommend Life Fitness, Cybex, Landice, Precor. look for a continuous motor rating of 3hp or more, a max body weight of at least 300lbs. The warranty will indicate how good it is, should be lifetime on the motor and frame with at least 2 years on the rest. A max speed of 15kph and an incline of 12-15%. Any fitness equipment should be tried out beforehand for suitability. if I was in the market for a single piece of home equipment though I would buy a concept2 rower, they are bulletproof.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Elliptical. I own a Norditrack and love it. I have a treadmill in the garage, and don't use it. I also workout to videos.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    It is pricey but the Bowflex Tread Climber is a great machine. Here is the link.

http://www.treadclimber.com/bowflex_treadclimber_us/homepage.jsp
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Speed on the treadmill.....I used to have a treadmill that went up to 20 kph (12.5 miles per hour). Of course, I never ran at it at that speed (I would most likely have flown off the back if I had haha), however, it did mean it was never working continually at 100%. Before that, I had had a treadmill that only went up to 6mph, I wore it out as I was always running it at its maximum.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2021
    Personally, I would never (again) buy a Bowflex or anything Nautilaus related (there's a lot that includes). And to be honest, I'd be hesistent to buy a NordicTrak for the same reasons -- customer service is horrid and if it breaks (and it will) -- good luck getting it fixed.

I bought a Sole treadmill and couldn't be happier. I have a Bowflex LateralX and it's been a nightmare. Like the machine, but makes horrific sounds and has been fixed once already (a year into purchase) and still makes noises it shouldn't. Took 2 months to get the right parts in as well. Sole is built like a tank and great for runners.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    We just purchased a Nordictrack treadmill. Made sure it had a powerful enough motor and could easily hold a heavy 6ft runner and had a solid warranty. We got caught up in the screen and apps that come with the treadmill...amd opted for a smaller screen and a cheapo TV to stream workout videos. The tread box also folds up. We did not account for the massive size of box it shipped in so that was fun.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    I am really glad I bought a Concept 2 rowing machine for my home gym. Pretty much a full body workout, very low maintenance, and should last forever.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    edited October 2021
    Just a side note: This is a thread that started in 2012, got reawakened this morning by a spam pusher (advertising an exercise equipment site) whose post has since been deleted. Good discussion, but the OP hasn't been in the Community area of MFP since January 2018. 🤷‍♀️

ETA: I like my Concept 2 rower, too - had it since . . . hmm, 2004 or 2005, IIRC, still going strong. Gets routine use during icy-river season; in the thawed seasons, rowing shells are more fun, to me. 😉 Boats and oars are exercise equipment . . . but not exactly *home* equipment, I guess. They live at the rowing club boathouse.
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just a side note: This is a thread that started in 2012, got reawakened this morning by a spam pusher (advertising an exercise equipment site) whose post has since been deleted. Good discussion, but the OP hasn't been in the Community area of MFP since January 2018. 🤷‍♀️

ETA: I like my Concept 2 rower, too - had it since . . . hmm, 2004 or 2005, IIRC, still going strong. Gets routine use during icy-river season; in the thawed seasons, rowing shells are more fun, to me. 😉 Boats and oars are exercise equipment . . . but not exactly *home* equipment, I guess. They live at the rowing club boathouse.

Ann, since this thread was revived and you mentioned your Concept rower, I have a question as we are considering getting one. We would buy the Nordic Track ski machine but they are not made like they used to be and the current reviews are pretty bad (we had one 25 years ago and it we dubbed it "Torture Track" but alas it finally bit the dust). We already have a stationary (Lifecycle) and a treadmill, but would like an additional piece of cardio equipment. My concern is form when learning a rower. It seems like it would be intuitive, but it would be a mistake to assume that!

Do you know of any websites that you trust that go over the correct form? Any advice for a newbie indoor rower? I doubt we will ever take up the sport on actual water. From I what understand, it is an excellent full body workout but with the main emphasis coming from the legs/lower body.

• AnnPT77
    The Concept 2 site itself has some good basics.

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training

The training videos are listed in the sidebar menu on that page.

If you videotape yourselves, you can compare to the training videos, which can be quite helpful.

Dark Horse Rowing has a good reputation, too. I think @MikePfirrman may have some good instruction site references, too - I believe he helps beginners over on the C2 forum site. I hope he'll see that he's tagged, and comment. I'm more experienced with in-person coaching, both machine and boats.

Even if you never row on water, good technique (the elements that are common between machine and boat) will serve you well. It's worth working patiently on form at first (not going for ultra-hard workouts right off, but working on technique primarily), as an investment in later effective workouts.

People who don't get the basics tend to reach a point where they can't get a really good workout, because their technique limits power application: All they've got is to go at high ratings (high strokes per minute), and set what they thinks is "resistance" (it's not) at ten, which is neither necessary nor desirable for most workouts. (High drag factor is useful for some very specific kinds of drills; anyone who thinks its cool to set at 10 all the time frankly doesn't know what they're doing. Elite rowers don't do that, so why would Joe GymRat?) One often sees people in gyms whipping up and down the slide at 30+ spm, damper set on 10 pretty much always, and generally getting an unimpressive pace on the monitor. Pure strength will get a person someplace, kinda; strength plus technique, even technique with less pure muscular strength, can yield a much better pace, as a generality.

With good technique, one can get hard strokes at really low stroke ratings, for sure at 14-16spm, drive heart rate well up even at that low rating. (I'm not saying that's the way to do most workouts, either! But if one can't get good power, get HR up a decent bit at 16spm, there's a technique problem.)

I will get "disagree" clicks on this post, probably. 🤣
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    edited October 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The Concept 2 site itself has some good basics.

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training

The training videos are listed in the sidebar menu on that page.

If you videotape yourselves, you can compare to the training videos, which can be quite helpful.

Dark Horse Rowing has a good reputation, too. I think @MikePfirrman may have some good instruction site references, too - I believe he helps beginners over on the C2 forum site. I hope he'll see that he's tagged, and comment. I'm more experienced with in-person coaching, both machine and boats.

Even if you never row on water, good technique (the elements that are common between machine and boat) will serve you well. It's worth working patiently on form at first (not going for ultra-hard workouts right off, but working on technique primarily), as an investment in later effective workouts.

People who don't get the basics tend to reach a point where they can't get a really good workout, because their technique limits power application: All they've got is to go at high ratings (high strokes per minute), and set what they thinks is "resistance" (it's not) at ten, which is neither necessary nor desirable for most workouts. (High drag factor is useful for some very specific kinds of drills; anyone who thinks its cool to set at 10 all the time frankly doesn't know what they're doing. Elite rowers don't do that, so why would Joe GymRat?) One often sees people in gyms whipping up and down the slide at 30+ spm, damper set on 10 pretty much always, and generally getting an unimpressive pace on the monitor. Pure strength will get a person someplace, kinda; strength plus technique, even technique with less pure muscular strength, can yield a much better pace, as a generality.

With good technique, one can get hard strokes at really low stroke ratings, for sure at 14-16spm, drive heart rate well up even at that low rating. (I'm not saying that's the way to do most workouts, either! But if one can't get good power, get HR up a decent bit at 16spm, there's a technique problem.)

I will get "disagree" clicks on this post, probably. 🤣

Thanks, Ann!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Just an odd comment or two or three…the “old?” Nordic Track ski machines: we had one in the early 90’s and we used it most days. I would get wear marks (skin rubbed raw) on my hip bones and would have to put big Band-aids on those two spots prior to exercising. Other than that, they worked great and helped keep us in shape, at a time of small children and long work hours (meaning, not a moment to go to the gym).

Have a BowFlex bendy-rod weight machine for several months and we both use it most days. Great workout.

Just purchased a Solo elliptical and been using it for a week, every day, so far. Also great. I don’t really look forward to using it, although I don’t mind using it. I need the cardio during the cold months and it fits the bill. Great workout, especially enjoy the “hill” canned program. Very smooth and stable.

Added the last two comments for those that also clicked on this old thread.
  • AnnPT77
    @albamarie61, coincidentally, there was a decent-ish article on the MFP blog about machine rowing basics, with a useful link to UCanRow2's YouTube channel, which has some good content. Direct link to the blog article:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/why-the-rowing-machine-is-the-most-underrated-fitness-tool/
  • Mpalamar
    Mpalamar Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2021
    It's a personal choice. Go to the gym, try them both, and see which one you like best. Doesn't matter which one will give better results, if you don't like it, you won't be so inclined to use it.

Personally, I'm an elliptical girl myself. I have a treadmill too and I rarely use it because I don't like it.

Personal training 101: do exercises you enjoy doing! That's more likely to guarantee habitual use and that will get you the best results!

Author

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,500 Member
    We had a treadmill. Never again. It was loud, and it was large and heavy which caused problems when trying to get rid of it after the track started sticking and our maintenance efforts failed to resolve it. You said you run outdoors anyway, so why not get something different for indoors? I see the concept2 rower mentioned frequently here, and I've heard great things about that elsewhere.

Or, how about strength training stuff?