Home Fitness Equipment Question

Options
2»

Replies

• albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @albamarie61, coincidentally, there was a decent-ish article on the MFP blog about machine rowing basics, with a useful link to UCanRow2's YouTube channel, which has some good content. Direct link to the blog article:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/why-the-rowing-machine-is-the-most-underrated-fitness-tool/

I saw that too. And the mantra of leg, core, arm, arm, core leg is easy enough for me to remember.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @albamarie61, coincidentally, there was a decent-ish article on the MFP blog about machine rowing basics, with a useful link to UCanRow2's YouTube channel, which has some good content. Direct link to the blog article:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/why-the-rowing-machine-is-the-most-underrated-fitness-tool/

I saw that too. And the mantra of leg, core, arm, arm, core leg is easy enough for me to remember.

Bonus: It's really important. Also, harder than it sounds . . . surprisingly much harder. 😆 Get that right, get smooth continuous motion, suspend your weight between the handle and the foot-stretchers through the totality of the leg-core-arm phase (a.k.a. the drive) so that your glutes de-compress slightly on the seat during that whole phase . . . and you've got pretty much what you need for good machine rowing.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    I don’t have room for a big piece of equipment like this. I have a set of dumbbells, resistance bands and resistance loops. I use FitOn and BeachBodyOnDemand apps and do workouts with their trainers.
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don’t have room for a big piece of equipment like this. I have a set of dumbbells, resistance bands and resistance loops. I use FitOn and BeachBodyOnDemand apps and do workouts with their trainers.

We had to choose our house based on my spouse's home gym equipment (power rack, treadmill, bike, dumbbells). Space for the equipment was our top consideration. No basement, no go. It many ways it frustrated me (lots of nicer places without a basement). He has been after me for over 10 years now to start lifting with him and I am learning. Still prefer cardio though!

It sounds like you have a good setup and plan!
  • trunkschan90
    trunkschan90 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I live in a one bedroom apartment so I don't have the space for a big treadmill, plus I work as a freelance graphic designer from home so I'm usually sitting much of the day, so I bought a sitting treadmill which is space saving and actually helps exercise my legs. I have it under my computer desk right now and usually tend to use it throughout the day. I tend to walk backwards on it since it's much easier and I do get a workout depending on how fast I go. I bought it off ebay for just $40 and has been a great investment so far. Since March I've lost 30 Ibs with it (along with changing my diet).
    710rmN6thtL.jpg
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,993 Member
    Options
    A "sitting treadmill"... now I've seen everything! lol

Coming from a guy with bad knees, this sounds like it would not be for me, as it would constantly be working the knees through a gagillion reps. Then again, perhaps the very act of constant movement would encourage fluid flow in and out of the knee, actually helping with knee pain. The more I think about this, the less sure I am either way.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options

I live in a one bedroom apartment so I don't have the space for a big treadmill, plus I work as a freelance graphic designer from home so I'm usually sitting much of the day, so I bought a sitting treadmill which is space saving and actually helps exercise my legs. I have it under my computer desk right now and usually tend to use it throughout the day. I tend to walk backwards on it since it's much easier and I do get a workout depending on how fast I go. I bought it off ebay for just $40 and has been a great investment so far. Since March I've lost 30 Ibs with it (along with changing my diet).
    710rmN6thtL.jpg

Awwww the teeny tiny little steps you can take on that.

It reminds me of the teeny tiny little steps I take when I'm doing the jogging portion of a Leslie Sansone dvd in my apartment. It's pretty much how I racked up like 100,000 steps when I wore a fitbit. :)
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in really late here to say thanks for the tips and the link @AnnPT77 ! I recently upgraded my rowing machine from a rigid arm/hydraulic one to one with a magnetic flywheel that irritates my shoulder a lot less, so the timing was excellent. You've given me a lot of good advice over the past few months, on many topics, even though I never seem to be the one asking the question.