Halloween Candy

124»

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    My daughter has donated some of her candy to me--either ones she doesn't like but I do (like Almond Joy) or she knows it's one of my favorites (like Peanut Butter M & M's).

When my kids were young enough Trick or Treat, my wife always implemented a "Mom tax." Basically she reserved the right to take up to five items from each kid's stash. If she chose a piece the kid wanted, they could "negotiate" with her, offering two pieces for any one they wanted to take back.

Yes, my wife in this way got a few pieces of candy, and she invariably selected ones she knew the kids wouldn't be interested in, but what really was happening was it was a convenient way for her to examine every piece for safety and signs of tampering. Only once did she encounter a suspicious piece, fortunately the kiddo involved didn't try to negotiate to keep it.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    It's one night of the year and I'm going to eat candy and not worry about it.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,116 Member
    Yesterday, on this same page just a few posts up, I posted this:

"I remember when Snickers was called Marathon."

And someone disagreed with it. Why?

A single random disagree might be an accident from someone with a touch screen scrolling past.

But sometimes people will disagree with the weirdest things. And occasionally someone will “disagree stalk”

Another possibility is that Marathon bars in the US were a braided caramel covered in chocolate. Snickers has always had peanuts.
    And instead of engaging you in discussion some grump just hit “disagree”

• Thanks. Too late. I ate it. But I enjoyed it!
    Our philosophy wrt Halloween, is go for it, eat it and don’t make a candy habit.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    The one that used to tempt me were mounds bars. But, now the sugar in the coconut hurts my teeth. I still love chocolate and coconut, but I eat a higher grade of candy!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Ok, so second year in a row (I think) I'm asking this....

Where are all the after halloween candy sales? I haven't seen any on my usual websites. Do you have to physically go into a store for them now? Do they just repackage anything not sold into christmas themed candy bags? I'm *gasp* almost out of my chocolate inventory and I had QUITE the back up!

This reminds me -- for the last couple of weeks before Halloween, I kept seeing in the grocery store this big display of Christmas-themed candy bars in the "snack" and "fun" sizes most people hand out for Halloween, and I thought they were just rushing the holidays. But then I realized they didn't seem to have much by way of bags of those sizes of candy bars in either Halloween themes or plain, unthemed "year-round" versions, so it occurred to me maybe the shortages and supply chains had struck the Halloween candy, and the store was just trying to do its best with what it could get a hold of.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,430 Member
    A single random disagree might be an accident from someone with a touch screen scrolling past.

But sometimes people will disagree with the weirdest things. And occasionally someone will “disagree stalk”

Another possibility is that Marathon bars in the US were a braided caramel covered in chocolate. Snickers has always had peanuts.
    Perhaps. I see now that 2 people have disagreed with my factually correct statement, with no explanation. In the UK, Snickers was sold by the brand name Marathon until 1990, as the ad I included showed.

I've seen this before on the site, people disagreeing with true statements made by various posters.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited November 2021
    I've never had cilantro. If it does taste like soap, maybe we should all protest candy makers and insist they manufacture it to include cilantro.

I've even tried to visualize terrible disgusting things to prevent me from eating but it doesn't work for me. :) Hmm, perhaps a cilantro seasoned chocolate coating?

As far as people who disagree, haven't we all observed some human behavior in our lives that make us SMH or want to leave the human race?? Disagrees are small potatoes. :)
  • nossmf
    To give those who absolutely must disagree something they can really sink their teeth into. :D

I don't normally disagree with anybody, but this sentence was just BEGGING for at least one disagree, so there ya go. lol
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Perhaps. I see now that 2 people have disagreed with my factually correct statement, with no explanation. In the UK, Snickers was sold by the brand name Marathon until 1990, as the ad I included showed.

I've seen this before on the site, people disagreeing with true statements made by various posters.

Someone disagreed with my post about candy in my office not being eaten. I think you should just ignore it or chalk it up as an accident or some weirdos. Who cares?

On other matters, I adore cilantro and feel sorry for people who don't have the right genes to taste it as I do (as I think the soap vs not thing is a genetic difference, from what I've read). That said, I don't really want a cilantro candy bar, although it is okay along a mole sauce.

Also, this looks tasty: https://www.landolakes.com/recipe/17733/cilantro-lime-shortbread/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited November 2021
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I've never had cilantro. If it does taste like soap, maybe we should all protest candy makers and insist they manufacture it to include cilantro.

I've even tried to visualize terrible disgusting things to prevent me from eating but it doesn't work for me. :) Hmm, perhaps a cilantro seasoned chocolate coating?

As far as people who disagree, haven't we all observed some human behavior in our lives that make us SMH or want to leave the human race?? Disagrees are small potatoes. :)

It only tastes like soap to certain people with a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes. I personally can't fathom that...I don't taste anything remotely like soap when I eat cilantro. I use cilantro a lot as it is a common ingredient or garnish for much of our local cuisine. For me it has a very pleasant taste that is more like a combination of fresh parsley and citrus. We grow it in our herb garden.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,116 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

It only tastes like soap to certain people with a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes. I personally can't fathom that...I don't taste anything remotely like soap when I eat cilantro. I use cilantro a lot as it is a common ingredient or garnish for much of our local cuisine. For me it has a very pleasant taste that is more like a combination of fresh parsley and citrus. We grow it in our herb garden.

My entire family including my husband and my boyfriend all have that gene.
    Cilantro is not welcome in our home.
    Because it tastes like soap.
  • nossmf
    Glad he got what he needed. Speaking of which, I have to hit the store on my way home from work...I have a feeling I may desperately "need" some eggnog myself...
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Cilantro = soap here. I buy M&M peanuts for Trick-or-Treat. I don't like them and there is never a shortage of volunteers to eat the leftovers.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Re: the disagrees on MFP. I’ve been on here (two different names) for 10 years this February. Developing a thick skin really helps, with any forums on the internet. I’m pretty sure some would disagree, with the statement, “The sky is blue on a clear day”. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Cilantro, we all love it in this family! No soap genes here. Our favorite Mexican restaurant has the best salsa, that they serve with their chips! Without the cilantro, it would be average.

The candy issue. I’ve learned, over these years, all foods in moderation. For me, denial is a slippery slope back to where I don’t want to ever be again. This old dog, was able to learn a new trick.