Halloween Candy

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Ok, so second year in a row (I think) I'm asking this....

Where are all the after halloween candy sales? I haven't seen any on my usual websites. Do you have to physically go into a store for them now? Do they just repackage anything not sold into christmas themed candy bags? I'm *gasp* almost out of my chocolate inventory and I had QUITE the back up!

I went to 2 stores yesterday: Walgreens and the grocery store. I looked in the clearance section mainly for Halloween decorations, but also just to see what candy was left. There was hardly anything besides candy corn and the Autumn mix.

In the days when I'd go do laps in Target on my lunch hour, there were shelves and shelves of halloween candy left over...the good stuff too. Good sales prices as well.

@corinasue1143 Geeeez, what has snickers ever done to you? :p

:)

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I remember when Snickers was called Marathon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3XeAnvfGmQ
  • glassyo
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    So many people with good self control on here! That’s not me. It was an actual lesson I learned that it is not more “moral” to eat junk food than to give it away or throw it out.

I don't think those of us who can moderate some foods feel we have more morals. We're all here for a reason. It's how we survive it that matters.

And I've definitely given away food I couldn't get a handle on.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    An old trick for making friends where I work was to put out a candy bowl. I found them all! If I walked past an office with a candy bowl, I could feel it in my stomach. With half the people working from home, they're all gone, and I hope they never come back. (The bowls, not the people. >:) )

We have been partly open for a while and we still get the candy but it just doesn't get eaten. I think we had Easter candy 'til someone tossed it in Sept, and now just got Halloween. Will see if anyone takes any.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options

“I don't think those of us who can moderate some foods feel we have more morals”

I was actually referring to myself. It was a subconscious belief that there was something moral about finishing food. And I learned to challenge it for myself.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Halloween candy is a weakness for me, it is something I have trouble eating in moderation.
    I upped my calorie count to only slightly below maintanance and have been enjoying other sweets during this time. I will mindlessly eat mini sized candy. I will only have one It's It and be done with dessert. That's just me. Your experience probably varies.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    KNoceros wrote: »
    Or just eat a little bit of it now and again within your calorie budget.

Good in theory but how many people actually do that when a several pound bag of leftovers is in the panty?

Me.

And you can have my fun size snickers when you pry them from my cold, (redacted) hands.
  • glassyo
    edited November 2021
    Options

Good in theory but how many people actually do that when a several pound bag of leftovers is in the panty?

Me.

And you can have my fun size snickers when you pry them from my cold, (redacted) hands.

Wait. Is redacted the new *kitten* kitten??

Edited to add: Nope!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Me.

Wait. Is redacted the new *kitten* kitten??

Edited to add: Nope!

It’s just a Charlton Heston quote. But I didn’t want to imply any real world or online harm to anyone.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Well, me for starters! And a few others here by the sounds of it.
    Don’t get me wrong. I really like sweets and chocolate. But I have had to teach myself moderation and restraint. (Logging helped because I knew I’d have to write it down if I ate it - and that was even before I joined MFP and just used pen and paper).

Christmas chocolates (Halloween isn’t a big thing in our house) can last until nearly Easter most years and Easter chocs might still be around in July.

Well, we're all built differently and are at different stages in our healthy lifestyles, have different brains, etc., etc. What's easy for one could be next to impossible for the next person(like me) :(

In my case, I sent the bowl upstairs with hubby and demanded he hide it. There is always the donate option as well. Or, if you can resist then freeze it and use it to bake goodies at Christmas.

Probably disagree potential when I say this, but IMO if I ate like a normal person, I probably wouldn't be in this predicament. :/

Blaming that Lays potato chip commercial 'betcha can't eat just one' :s
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I bought a few multi-packs at the dollar store. Then I went back to buy more multipacks. I expected 2 of my former daycare girls and possibly 3 others to show up. How much candy do 5 little girls really need? :/
    In reality, I have only 2 little girls. They visited with no trick or treat bags and no costumes because it'd been pouring out and they went home to change first. So when I saw they had no bags I asked how big their pockets were and helped them load up. :) SO glad they came <3<3
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I buy Snickers.
    I hate Snickers.
    Problem solved.

Snickers?? You HATE Snickers???

I didn't know there was such a thing. :D:D

Smarties, DumDum pops, licorice, I can understand all those. But Snickers?? :D

Snickers are also the bottom of my list - I mean why eat a Snickers when you can have a Mars bar instead?!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I buy Snickers.
    I hate Snickers.
    Problem solved.

Snickers?? You HATE Snickers???

I didn't know there was such a thing. :D:D

Smarties, DumDum pops, licorice, I can understand all those. But Snickers?? :D

Snickers are also the bottom of my list - I mean why eat a Snickers when you can have a Mars bar instead?!

Why is anyone diluting my chocolate with ANYTHING (except some sugar and maybe milk)?
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    My daughter has donated some of her candy to me--either ones she doesn't like but I do (like Almond Joy) or she knows it's one of my favorites (like Peanut Butter M & M's). I've been having one each night after dinner, and I have no guilt whatsoever, nor the temptation to eat more. I was also never one to sneak candy out of my kids' bags. I know they don't need all that candy (no one does, really), but always felt wrong to me. Plus, we always have leftover candy anyway and if I really wanted some I'd just eat that.
  • mama2twoluvbugs
    mama2twoluvbugs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It doesn't phase me because it belongs to my children, but if it was leftover from passing out candy then id struggle...weird that things that i buy specifically for them doesn't stress me...mind over matter I guess...
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Yesterday, on this same page just a few posts up, I posted this:

"I remember when Snickers was called Marathon."

And someone disagreed with it. Why?