November 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a great day!

@kgirlhart, @martaindale, @sweetdaisy13 Good luck on all of your races! You are all going to rock it!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @katharmonic I am looking forward to your hiking report. I know you are excited to be doing the last high peak. Have fun!

@shanaber That is weird. I'm glad you were okay once you got back home.

@SummerSkier Nice run. I hope the knot on your arm goes away quickly.

@ssseattle If you need new shoes, getting them sooner rather than later is a good idea. You don't want to get injured and not be able to run for a while. You could still make it a weight loss challenge...just paying yourself ahead of time. Maybe you could divide up the cost of the shoes by the number of pounds to go and keep track of when they are paid off....mark it off on a chart or some visual to keep you motivated. Then have a "note burning" when it is paid off to celebrate.

@johnisrunning Sounds like you are doing great and listening to your body. You should do great on your HM. Which one are you running?

Nice run @CarsonSurfs . Enjoy your brunch tomorrow.

• johnisrunning
    johnisrunning Posts: 142 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @johnisrunning, I'm curious what you are experiencing that difficult running in the cold. It's always been very pleasant for me and I don't seem to have any troubles or performance issues, unlike when it's hot.

Good question. I believe it's largely psychosomatic, caused by the heart rate readings on my wristwatch. When my hands are cold, I suspect that my heart is pumping more blood to my hands faster to keep them warm, resulting in what appears to be a heart rate that is more elevated than it should be given the pace and conditions. Even going out knowing this, it still makes me think "wow, my fitness is gone!" Silly, I know. Some gloves prevent this better than others.

I've tried running with a chest strap but it started malfunctioning after only a couple of months. Very disappointing.

• CarsonSurfs
    CarsonSurfs Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @johnisrunning, I'm curious what you are experiencing that difficult running in the cold. It's always been very pleasant for me and I don't seem to have any troubles or performance issues, unlike when it's hot.

Good question. I believe it's largely psychosomatic, caused by the heart rate readings on my wristwatch. When my hands are cold, I suspect that my heart is pumping more blood to my hands faster to keep them warm, resulting in what appears to be a heart rate that is more elevated than it should be given the pace and conditions. Even going out knowing this, it still makes me think "wow, my fitness is gone!" Silly, I know. Some gloves prevent this better than others.

I've tried running with a chest strap but it started malfunctioning after only a couple of months. Very disappointing.

Very interesting. Funny how we become a slave to our devices and their data. :smile:

Have you considered doing a few runs in the cold and not looking at it and just running by PLE?
  • johnisrunning
    johnisrunning Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    [Have you considered doing a few runs in the cold and not looking at it and just running by PLE?

Sure and that's usually what I do on long runs. Most of the time when I'm watching HR, it's to make sure I'm not working too hard on easy runs.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I thought I checked in yesterday but apparently not..
    Nov 1 5.03
    Nov 2 8.23 (added a sprint lunchtime workout due to impending weather)
    Nov 3 5.15 (snuck in before it just started pouring cold rain)
    Nov 4 5.03
    Nov 5 6.01
    Nov 6 5.05
    Nov to date: 34.5 miles against 150
    RTY left to go 249.86 (4.543 reqd daily to come in end of year at 2021)

I did get my booster Moderna on thursday afternoon. thank goodness unlike the 2nd Pfizer I did not have immediate reactions which frightened me. And altho I did not have a fever and got my runs in, my shoulder now has a nice orange size swelling on it and my underarm lymph node is not happy either. But I can deal with all that as my energy for running was fine, and I am going to do whatever I can to make sure I avoid getting sick as the long term effects even if you are not hospitalized or dead are just awful for runners and athletes.

Interesting you mentioned the underarm lymph node. Mine aren't happy, either, although I had no swelling at the injection site.
  • ssseattle
    ssseattle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I like the idea of still marking when the shoes are "paid off" in poundage lost. I will hit a running store next week.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    Nice run @Teresa502 . It was rather chilly this morning. I don't envy your early day. Enjoy the beach!

@ContraryMaryMary Glad you had a fun group run!