November mileage:
    R: 15.5/60

11/1 - 3
    11/3 - 4
    11/5 - 3
    11/6 - 1.5
    11/8 - 4

Total shoe mileage: 87

I didn't get my normal 5 mile run in on Saturday because Hubs was out of town and I was flying solo with the kiddo (6). Instead of skipping all together, I let him out to play in the front yard and I ran from the bottom of our cul-de-sac to our garage door and back- which is a hill - 12 times equally 1.25 miles, and I convinced Kiddo to do a quick .25 jog with me. I figured I'd start working on those hills that are going to give me a problem during the race I signed up for in a month. LOL.

Good job getting in some exercise with kiddo around. I've been there, and you sometimes have to get creative and it doesn't always work as planned, but you're not using it as an excuse to do what you can, and that's great :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    Thanks @martaindale and congratson your Half as well.
    Thanks also @teresa502, @orphia, and @rheddmobile.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    Thanks for all your comments 😊.

Has anyone got experience of running in Hoka One One Speedgoat 4's? I'm thinking of changing my trail shoes and my usual shoes are Decathlon which I have used the same brand for almost 3 years.

They have been good up until now but at 288g are a bit heavy and my toes are now hurting in them.

I've not run in Hoka's before, but have read good reviews. But equally I would like to know if they are rubbish as they are not cheap.
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    If I let my Apple watch read my heart rate for runs it tells me I am amazing avg over 180 the whole time.... When my chest strap is working I might get to 185 but the avg for a HARD run is usually under 170.

My apple watch always has my heart rate way high, and my hubs is constantly like how are you not dead. LOL. I'm not sure they've perfected the science on it quite yet. :)
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    @sweetdaisy13
    Re Hoka shoes. It is really individual preference. I bought a pair about two years ago and I thought they were the cats meow. But when I tried a second pair I no longer liked them. They have a nice comfy toebox but the lift is not as high as some of the other shoes I wear. Maybe you could get some and try them and return them if you didn’t like them.

I don’t know why but this happens to me a lot. The very first pair of Mizuno‘s I ever bought I just love the heck out of. But I could never get a repeat on that model.

However for speed nothing runs as fast for me as a Nike. They don’t wear well and I have to replace them a lot more frequently than I would like but I believe that is because the materials are very light and not as durable.
  • sweetdaisy13
    Thanks @SummerSkier. I'll try and find ones that have a 30 day return offer, if I do get them. I'm also looking at Salomon Wildcross 2, which look like they have a lot of grip and are quite light.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Thanks @SummerSkier. I'll try and find ones that have a 30 day return offer, if I do get them. I'm also looking at Salomon Wildcross 2, which look like they have a lot of grip and are quite light.

I don’t know how it compares to the wildcross but I love my Salomon speedcross- I think they are pretty much the opposite of a Hoka though! They have zero cushion and are pretty stiff. What I like about them is they are super luggy and grip really well especially in mud. The downsides are Salomons run tight in the forefoot, and the big lugs are not good on roots because they tend to catch if you drag a foot. For trails with a lot of roots I like my Altra timps. Not sure I would want to do an ultra in the timps though as they are zero drop and hard on the tendons.
  • sweetdaisy13
    Thanks for the info @rheddmobile. Buying shoes online is always a challenge as I don't have any proper running shoe shops close to me. As always, it's going to be a case of trial and error.
  • run_sara_run
    run_sara_run Posts: 25 Member

Has anyone got experience of running in Hoka One One Speedgoat 4's? I'm thinking of changing my trail shoes and my usual shoes are Decathlon which I have used the same brand for almost 3 years.

They have been good up until now but at 288g are a bit heavy and my toes are now hurting in them.

I've not run in Hoka's before, but have read good reviews. But equally I would like to know if they are rubbish as they are not cheap.

Speedgoat 4 have been my favorite trail runner of the past two years. I run and I do long hikes in them. Very comfortable! I was hesitant to try Hoka because I heard they run narrow but I really like them.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,029 Member

I think Hoka's really require a try-on. I did a treadmill test in a pair and they were not for me. The curved sole felt weird and unstable to me but I know several people who LOVE them. If you order them directly from Hoka will they let you return them after a run or 2? Brooks has a 90 day policy so they are lower commitment if you have to buy an unknown shoe online. FWIW, I use Brooks cascadia trail shoes and find them to be very comfortable though a bit longer in the toe box than my usual ghosts.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    9 Nov total 56.93 out of 150 goal. 227.43 left for run the year so need to avg 4.374 the rest of the year to complete on time. I am slightly ahead but you never know when another URI is going to keep me off the roads. (I don't mind snow but ice is too dangerous).

1-Nov 5.03
    2-Nov 8.23
    3-Nov 5.15
    4-Nov 5.03
    5-Nov 6.01
    6-Nov 8.18
    7-Nov 5.01
    8-Nov 7.18
    9-Nov 7.11

speaking of returning shoes. I think I can go thru a pair in less than 2 months before my shin starts hurting. Would that be wrong to return them? >:)o:) (jk)

Technical issues resolved. And that's an interesting thought about the watch picking up cadence vs hr. I don't think the Apple watch does that. I think it just runs too high. Chest strap is much more accurate. Fitbit actually matched the chest strap pretty closely so whatever they use for HR is probably a more accurate algorythm for running hr.
    A question for the group as the year winds down. Have you reviewed the running goals you set in Jan for the year and how close are you to reaching them?

fnzhxzekvvzl.png

1) I managed pretty well except for falling during URI and hurting my back for a few days
    2) Pretty good also.
    3) yes
    4) so far so good at about 45%
    5) yes pretty scarey to me how quickly they are too worn for my poor shins
    6) still on track
    7) totally bombed longest run was just over 11.

Unless some kind of miracle happens, my honest assessment is that my stated goals are toast.