November 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Been reading and liking/hugging as needed. You guys are doing great with your runs!

@skippygirlsmom I think the race you volunteered at is one that I would love to run at some point. It just sounds so unique. Too bad I didn't do it this year, we could have me in real person. Great story about the young lady and her mittens.

You are a rock star @rheddmobile !

I don't recall what my goals for the year were. I'll have to go back and look, but I think they were to get through my open heart surgery and run the AF HM. There may have been more in there, but those two I did complete.

I went to the chiropractor again today for an assessment of my lumbar strength, now that the back is doing mostly better. The tests were not what I was expecting at all. He did two. The first was to see how long it took me to stand up straight and sit back down 5 times. I did it in 15 seconds, which is in the excellent category. The next one however, was a different story. I laid on my stomach, raised my legs, and held them there as long as I could. When he said that was the test, I knew it wasn't going to be good. I don't think I have ever been able to do that. I was able to hold them for 19 seconds. I actually thought that was pretty good, but he said that is in the "extremely poor" category. I should be able to hold it for 90 seconds. I have a long way to go for that. He gave me some more stretches and exercises to do and will see him again on Thursday to discuss the plan for moving ahead. I don't know why they don't schedule enough time for that on the day you go, but I think he assesses in the evening and then is ready to discuss later. If any of you are willing to give it a try, I'd love to know how long you can hold up your legs. Just curious if I am really that bad.

I did a mile walk on the driveway after I got home from work. Keeping the streak alive.

My wife and I gave ourselves another year of chiropractic aftercare for Christmas.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    I'm so behind, so I'm missing a ton of people's accomplishments I know. I liked and hugged more!

@kgirlhart on your PR and age group win! Wow! So awesome

@sweetdaisy13 fantastic and congrats on your 50k PR!

@martaindale great job on the Wine and Dine PR. I have a friend who did it this year and have heard from her and others a bit about what they are like. Very impressive to run well in that race.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/21 :::: 1.0 :::: 1.0
    11/02/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 4.1
    11/03/21 :::: 3.2 :::: 7.3
    11/04/21 :::: 2.1 :::: 9.4
    11/05/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 9.4
    11/06/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 9.4
    11/07/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 9.4
    11/08/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 12.6
    11/09/21 :::: 1.8 :::: 14.3

I'm way behind for this month already. 3 days without running, and no runs over 3.2 miles. Pretty sad but it is what it is. I'll have to check on my goals for the year. I know I didn't set a mileage goal or a time goal. But I'm still on track to run a HM a month. If I can get November sorted out!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,936 Member
    Wow @Scott6255 . So, I guess my 19 seconds is pretty sad! :lol: It is deceptively hard. And, you are welcome.

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,777 Member
    Maybe 30 seconds. def poor hamstring glute muscle.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @katharmonic What an adventure! Such gorgeous scenery! Yes, let's forget about the way down. Well done on your 46!

Have you thought of your next hiking challenge?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,382 Member
    @sweetdaisy13 - I am also not a Hoka fan - they are just too cushioned for me and I always feel like I am going to fall over or twist an ankle in them. But then I prefer more minimal shoes. My favorites are from Topo Athletics and like Ultra have the wider toe box but a narrower heel. The ones I wear are 0 drop but they have others that have more. The trail shoes are pretty grippy without the lugs being too big that they could make you trip, but I mostly wear them for running agility on lumpy, slippery grass. They do have a 30 day 'risk free' return policy so you can try them out a few times.

@SummerSkier - I haven't looked at my goals and am not sure I want to. I know one of mine was to stay injury free and well that just hasn't happen. I also have run all of three times I think this month with all the packing and moving we are doing, so it will be one of the lowest months for me in years, even when I was injured. My distance goals are not even close to being obtainable.
    On the Apple Watch - mine has been pretty good for a while and just recently, maybe since the last watch OS update, it has been giving me really weird HR numbers that I know are not correct. I can't wear a HRM any longer with my pacemaker but I also know where my HR is from the PM because it is mostly controlling it (pacing 85% of the time). My max HR is set to 150 and while it can theoretically go higher it will attempt to keep at or below 150 - so seeing 170+ is unreasonable. I am hoping there will be a new watch OS update to go along with the iOS 15 update on the phone and that it will improve with that.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @quilteryoyo if I understood the exercise (laying flat on stomach, lifting legs up without bending them), then I made it 13 seconds 😆 and then my quad touched the floor and I figured that meant I was disqualified. I've done a similar exercise where arms are lifted too, and that one I can do longer.

@katharmonic CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your big goal! That's amazing. I do have a few choice words for your friend, but will keep them to myself.

I came down with something over the weekend and am slowly getting better. So I'm not running, and am going to miss tomorrow's Independence Day mountain 11k. I'm disappointed but know it's the wise thing to do.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,518 Member
    So work seems to lurch from one chaotic episode to another. Our EMEA CEO has returned to the Netherlands and I can start to plan. I noticed since both my children were home that has drained my time significantly so I probably needs to have a chat over dinner and point out I am getting back to where I was a couple of years ago able to focus and ready to be p****d off with people who interfered with my plans.

Wishing you a speedy recovery @polskagirl01

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2021
    So I bought a hip thrust machine and it arrived yesterday - it’s basically a foldable angled bench with attachments for bands. It’s a one-trick pony but it was really on sale, and since I used to do hip thrust in the smith machine at the gym I haven’t been doing it much lately at home, hate balancing a barbell on my hips. And I tried my new thingy out at various angles, etc. a bunch yesterday with the result that I can do @quilteryoyo ‘s test a grand total of zero seconds today! Haha my butt gave up it’s dead now!

No seriously, I tried it again later and could go 27 seconds before starting to shake. I will try again tomorrow after a night’s rest. How are you supposed to put your arms, out in front like a Superman, down beside you, or bent?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,936 Member
    edited November 2021
    @katharmonic Congratulations on hiking all 46 peaks. You look so happy. I would be too. Fantastic views. I'm glad it was a picture perfect day on the way up. Sorry about your friend but glad he was okay in the end. I do hope he learned his lesson and thank goodness for all of those who helped search for him and get him out before dark.

@kgirlhart Nice run. You did excellent on the challenge. I guess I do have a lot of work to do.

@ContraryMaryMary Wow! That is amazing! Maybe yoga is the key.

@SummerSkier Looks like we both have some work to do.

@polskagirl01 Yes. Sounds like you did the exercise correctly. The doctor put his hand under my knee and called it when my knee went down. It's interesting that you can do the "superman/superwoman" pose longer. I hope you are feeling some better today. So sorry about missing your race.

@TheMrWobbly That dinner chat sounds like it is needed. Hope it goes well and you can get back to doing what you want to do.

@rheddmobile Hahaha I can imagine after a tough workout that zero would be the result. I was laying on a bench and had my arms down...hanging over the bench and holding on to the hand rests....if that makes sense. It was a chiropractor bench. So, having them either to your sides or in front of you flat on the floor is probably right....maybe whatever is most comfortable, but not up in the air.

@Tramboman Sounds like a great run. And....expecting snow? I'm not ready for that yet. Hahaha about not trying the exercise.

Nice running @johnisrunning . Good luck on your upcoming half.

Okay. So, reading all of the comments and your experiences with the leg lift, I learned something. It really is my back that is the issue and needs strengthening. I didn't even feel the exercise in my glutes. I had to stop solely because my lower back muscles starting to hurt and gave out. So, thank you for that. I'll be sure to tell the chiropractor that when I see him tomorrow....which I am sure is the point of the test. BTW, he is a runner, so that helps.

Amazing @AlphaHowls . How is your mom doing?
  • CarsonSurfs
    CarsonSurfs Posts: 75 Member
    Yesterday was my rest day.

Today, 5.2 miles through the Forbidden Forest. Perfect 45°F.

50.8 miles of the 165 mile goal.