Stressed about a lack of stressors?

Options
My junior year was the year I was in treatment. When I came back, I had over 60 overdue assignments. I barely got by, and I think I got so used to having behind work in school. Now I’m obviously a senior, and for the entire first quarter, I just didn’t do my homework. I was behind on almost everything, and had so much to do. Luckily I was able to get to passing grades, and now the second quarter is here.
Recently I’ve been keeping up with all of my work, making schedules and agendas and assignment checklists, and really keeping myself on track. Now, I have no important assignments that are overdue (nothing but 3-4 homework grades), but this brings up another issue. I’m getting my work done so fast and getting such good grades, but now I have nothing to catch up on. I feel almost like this huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, and now I’m just like an astronaut coming back to Earth and readjusting to the gravity. I’ve invested more of my time into exercise, but it’s not really enough for me. I have so much free time, and a very limited social life (I was a shy kid my whole life, so I don’t have many friends).
Basically, my main question is: What do I do with all this free time, other than exercise?

Replies

• ONUnicorn
    ONUnicorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Read. Pick a long series, like Wheel of Time or Dune or Dragon Riders of Pern.

Take up a hobby, like cross stitch or knitting or woodworking.

Find something you enjoy that's social, like joining a bowling league, learning to square dance, playing cards.

If you like academic research type activities, get into editing Wikipedia.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My junior year was the year I was in treatment. When I came back, I had over 60 overdue assignments. I barely got by, and I think I got so used to having behind work in school. Now I’m obviously a senior, and for the entire first quarter, I just didn’t do my homework. I was behind on almost everything, and had so much to do. Luckily I was able to get to passing grades, and now the second quarter is here.
    Recently I’ve been keeping up with all of my work, making schedules and agendas and assignment checklists, and really keeping myself on track. Now, I have no important assignments that are overdue (nothing but 3-4 homework grades), but this brings up another issue. I’m getting my work done so fast and getting such good grades, but now I have nothing to catch up on. I feel almost like this huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, and now I’m just like an astronaut coming back to Earth and readjusting to the gravity. I’ve invested more of my time into exercise, but it’s not really enough for me. I have so much free time, and a very limited social life (I was a shy kid my whole life, so I don’t have many friends).
    Basically, my main question is: What do I do with all this free time, other than exercise?

Do you really have no hobbies? No reading for fun, painting, drawing, sewing, quilting, sculpture, charity work, helping other students in difficulty, working with animals,.........

I think you get the idea. The world is yours. I've always done a million things, and know how to do many things. Get going.
  • brandondanieley
    brandondanieley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like studying new topics I’m not familiar with! I also like to get outdoors on my free time because it is a great stress reliever!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Pursue what interests you, only you can answer that.

I was into art so I spent a lot of my free time drawing and painting when I was your age. If I wasn't doing that I was doing research on expanding my artistic skills or just checking out other artists work that I admired. I also got a job at a theater that did expand my social life even being the introvert that I am.

I also realized back then that I didn't need to fill every moment of my time with things to do. Sometimes I would just go out on a hike (weather permitting) and just marvel a the world on some hilltop (just be extra careful hiking on your own if you're not experienced a good park will work too). It was really cool how much the world comes to life if you sit quietly and just listen. It's OK to unplug from technology it will be there when you get back.

There are some good suggestions others have mentioned. I hope you find what you are looking for.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work. Congratulate yourself! I also agree with the above posters. But would also add—maybe make an effort to connect with a couple of people to do things with—lots of other shy people are waiting for others to make the first move—
    If you have specific interests, you could think about volunteering in those areas.