December 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Just noticed my typo... I really do know the difference between to, two and *too* :D
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    December mileage:
    R: 5/60

12/1 - 5

Total shoe mileage: 135

What are everyone's fav winter running jackets? I'm having the devil of a time finding one that isn't either a flimsy windbreaker or a puffer I will most certainly suffocate in if it's above -15.

(My normal winter running plan is... not running? Or switching to a treadmill and going back to 3 miles a run because I mentally can only stand 30 min tops on a treadmill. I'm trying to stay in my 5 mile a run groove this year and not give in to indoor running because I'm wimpy when cold. LOL.)
  • mshawski
    Options
    @rheddmobile - Lots of hugs to you, and fingers crossed for a cancellation so they can get you in sooner. I know my apple watch throws my heart rate into the 200's occasionally, and it's just it being stupid. I'm hoping that's what's happening here. <3
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    mshawski wrote: »
    What are everyone's fav winter running jackets? I'm having the devil of a time finding one that isn't either a flimsy windbreaker or a puffer I will most certainly suffocate in if it's above -15.
    Yikes, I refreshed and saw this and have input!!! I have only 5 minutes to reply before a meeting! Can I do it???

I do layers, not sure that is an answer. For really cold days my outer layer is a windbreaker, under that is a hoodie, under that is a long sleeve running shirt, and under that might be another long sleeve shirt even! For such a cold day the hood is up and drawn with a hat on my head underneath that. Maybe two layers of gloves, one thin layer for touchscreen needs, and then a warm outer layer over that.

Made it with two minutes to spare! But now I can't edit, and I always have to come back and edit. So I missed something, or said something wrong. Sorry about that!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,794 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    My scary goal is to run 5km without stopping.

covid is no joke... I applaud your determination and progress! There is a gal at work today who had a severe delta case in mid July. She has all sorts of strange issues going on with her sinus, shingles in her nose, a black eye etc.... This is a normally very healthy 50's gal. I suspect Covid after effects are behind it. :(
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @mshawski I agree on layers. I have a great cheap (like $18) light fleece Tek Gear (which is Kohl's brand) that a wear most in the winter. It a full zip, cover my butt and it so comfy, I'll try to find a link and post it. In 30F ish temps I'll wear a tank under it, I also run early, like it's still dark out, but if it's sunny I'll wear a long sleeve tech shirt and maybe gloves if my hands are cold.

Okay my stupid government laptop won't let me grab a link but here's the jacket, I have green, purple and maroon LOL
    dm22xlodccbb.png

Thank you @SummerSkier she's a great kid, really is, I actually enjoy being with her.
  • mshawski
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning and @skippygirlsmom - Thanks! I just placed a Kohl's order earlier today with several Tek Gear things in it so I'm both hopeful and happy I ordered what you're suggesting. I had a LL Bean jacket from when we lived in Maine that was PERFECT for the Maine winter runs. Alas, 60lbs later it no longer fits and my heart really wants that exact jacket in a smaller size which does not seem to exist. I hate when things get stuck in my brain like that. :(
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I totally agree on layers. Multiple tights, shirts (I like a tight-fitting vest/tank top under a long-sleeved shirt), gloves, buff/snood to cover your neck, a second one over your ears or a hat (or both) etc. When it gets really cold, think like a skier. You can definitely still run in winter - with appropriate clothing! On long runs, I'd almost always have an extra shirt and a dry hat in my pack in case I needed another layer. Have a plan (phone, bus pass, stores you can go into) for if you start getting too cold. If you're shivering uncontrollably, you need to get out of the cold and get into dry clothing immediately.

Fortunately it's currently hanging out around freezing and I don't have to do all this yet. But I've also transitioned to needing fewer layers from when I first started. Too many layers and you overheat. So pay attention to temperatures and experiment to see what works for you.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,436 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier RE: Steps/Min & Stride Length.
    I too am a vertically challenged runner at 5'4". I am (overly) obsessive about looking at my stride length vs SPM post run metrics, especially when I am working on speed. On very good speed days, my stride length average is over 1.20 meters, and SPM average is slightly above 185. But on easy days SPM only drops to about 175-180, but stride length drops pretty dramatically to about 0.88 - 0.98 meters.

When trying to increase stride length, you want to concentrate on reaching back, not reaching forward. You still want your foot to land underneath your hips as much as possible to avoid stressing your knees, shins, achilles, etc.

Good luck with your speed work! It is fun when you are healthy :)