December 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,815 Member
    Options
    gosh is hasn't been that long since some of those posters posted. I was looking back and knew the Pastor had passed away but Mobycarp was still posting when the pandemic started.

No offense was taken @WhatMeRunning. Like everyone else it is fun to just be in a like minded group. I have tried to hang out a few times over the years but it moves so fast I always felt guilty for not keeping up. This time I am just enjoying the conversations and posting.

@shanaber those photos are MAGNIFICENT! I love trees and there is such majesty in those giants.

Yesterday I had a text from my coach who ran a 5K in 19:20. I call him my coach but really he's a friend from out of state who sort of moved here with his gf last year who has encouraged my running the last few years. He said his stride length was 1.41 meters! and his SPM was 174. Max HR was 148. This man is over 65..... Anyway we chatted a little about it and he actually wants to close his stride down and up his SPM which is interesting perspective.

@ContraryMaryMary sounds like you will have to meet folks via races vs Strava in that location. Hope you are right about the trails.

@noblsheep welcome back to running. Altho I have been a runner since I was 15 which is close to 50 years there have been times where I just stopped for many months also. Sometimes due to an injury of course but sometimes just out of laziness. I always felt amazing when I got back into the rhythm of it.

Summer

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    12-1 7k slow
    12-2 7k slow
    12-3 7k slow
    12-4 7k sleasy
    12-5 7k slow

Don't Rest December Total: 35k
    Don't Rest December Goal: 180k

Cloudy, mid 30s F, and a breeze from the northeast. Saw geese and ducks and squirrels and robins and blue jays, but no deer.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @shanaber (my birthday twin)!
    Welcome back @noblsheep!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @shanaber and @Scott6255 !!

Great to see you @noblsheep!
    More what I see here is a group of people who all are into running and want to support each other in our journeys. Many of our non-running friends and family can only listen to so much running talk, and they don't get it anyway, so this can be a safe place to share about how your running is going, and give every detail of your race - and people actually look forward to it and want to read it and cheer you on.

Lots of great advice here, but this is so true! I really value the safe space and love that people read and genuinely comment, whether on the long-winded play-by-play or the short and sweet "today's run was awesome" or "today's run sucked" kind of posts.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    12/01/21 :::: 0.00 :::: 0.0
    12/02/21 :::: 2.24 :::: 2.2
    12/03/21 :::: 3.05 :::: 5.3
    12/04/21 :::: 10.1 :::: 15.3
    12/05/21 :::: 4.01 :::: 19.4

Today's run was fine :). Met some friends for our Sunday Runday, followed by coffee at a new place that was so nice. I got a free little hot chocolate with pink whipcream just because the barista had made too much so offered it to me. It was delicious and so cute. And it worked because I will totally go back there.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, Birthday Twins!!!!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,815 Member
    Options
    Echo Echo...Happy birthday @shanaber and @Scott6255 !!

Added another 6 miles today so I am at 24.5 out of 100 miles for the month. 69 left to go for Run the year.. I am at a streak of 72 consecutive miles under 10 min pace. If I finish up at that rate I will have exactly 50% of my miles that pace. LOL... My goal was 40% for the year so that is a significant improvement from last year where I rarely saw that sort of pace.

Still really haven't decided on goals for next year. I know I don't want to do SO many miles but decisions decisions...
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @shanaber awesome picture! Happy birthday to you and @Scott6255 !!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    🥳 Happy birthday @shanaber and @Scott6255 🎂
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    December 1 – 5.16 miles
    December 4 – 10.05 miles
    December 5 – 5.13 miles

20.34/100 miles completed

I hit the trails today at one of Virginia’s newest state parks. The park has been there for a while but has been maintained by the town until earlier this year when it became a state park. I noticed one of the trails has been cut back, new picnic tables installed and new signage. It will be interesting to see if the state continues to up the maintenance. I rarely run there in the late Spring and Summer because part of the trail that I typically run goes along the river and although it is pretty, the grass gets pretty high and I’m terrified I will step on a snake. I hope the state keeps it cut back. I saw a lot of squirrels, birds, ducks, geese and deer.
    6rwxetrx4e14.jpg
    poqgfdntg85x.jpg
    y7nrhwaxcpn8.jpg
    3rcz05603ibc.jpg
    Happy Birthday @shanaber and @Scott6255!

Awesome pictures @shanaber.

Good to see you back @noblsheep.

Glad you like the Asics @Scott6255. They look nice. When I first started running I ran in Asics before switching to the Brooks Ghosts.