December 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the swans! My BP dropped 20 points just looking at that photo.

Update: 60.57 left for run the year. 5 today. total 33.72 out of 100 planned. Continuing my streak of running under 10 min pace so now am up to 81 miles in a row. I wish I could say it was getting easier but that first mile continues to require significant effort most days.

@quilteryoyo I hope this means your back is really truly on the mend now!!! Injuries are so difficult to deal with. Should I push, should I stop, etc,,, I mostly extend my recovery time because I am ALWAYSs testing out if I am better.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    December Goal: 100 Miles

12/1: 5.11 miles
    12/2: 5.11 miles
    12/5: 10.03 miles
    12/7: 5.31 miles

25.56/100 miles completed for December

I have to admit I was not looking forward to this morning's run. When I went to bed the forecast was supposed to be 31°F this morning.  When I got up it was actually 27°F, feels like 23°. Which is really cold in Texas. Luckily it wasn't wet and it wasn't windy compared to the 20-40 mph winds we were having yesterday so I ended up having a great 5 mile run. I wore pants and a long sleeved shirt and a jacket. With gloves and a warm head/ear band. I was dressed well. I was chilly starting out but halfway through I did take off the jacket and tie it around my waist. Next time I will probably wear either sleeves and a jacket or sleeves and a long sleeved shirt. The hard part of layers is what to do with the layers you shed. Plus in the morning when it is dark I have to stop and take off my Noxgear in order to shed the jacket and it is a  bit of a hassle. It is just always hard for me to know how to dress in the winter.

exercise.png

2021 Races:
    4/24/21: Run For The Children - 10K PR 55:46:28.
    11/6/21: Run For 57th AHC Half Marathon - PR 2:07:11 and 1st in AG
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    no worries @kghart it will be 80 by the weekend..... LOL... I ended up with tank and jacket and hat and gloves and long pants but with no wind I think the hat was overkill. My hands still got a little chilled but the jacket over tank was perfect. Today we are twins with 5 milers.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Nice shot of the swans. Sorry to hear that your kid is now quarantining. Hope that doesn't throw too many wrinkles into your schedule. I know it would really upend ours.
    It is ok, because she's technically old enough to be home alone if necessary (she prefers not to be though), and I work from home or away from home at weird hours when her brother can stay with her. Only issue is we need to get some Christmas presents and will have to find a way to explain where we're going and why we're taking the trailer. Unless we change our minds. Prices on bikes are through the roof. But they've outgrown theirs and ride to school almost daily. Daughter has slowed back down to my easy run pace.
    Oh I love the swans! My BP dropped 20 points just looking at that photo.
    I have been watching them since Spring when mama was sitting on the nest and dad was guarding her. I love them too, but unfortunately they do not like me and have been very aggressive even when I've been across the entire pond away from their babies. I try to give them plenty of space. It's their territory.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @martaindale My husband and I were greatly amused by the raccoon moat. It would work, assuming you were a light enough sleeper to be awakened by leaves crunching! But raccoons are terrible at slack lining. And also would try to avoid sleeping humans!

Our local raccoons have been canoodling all up in the trees. It’s that time of year. I also caught one of them examining my Christmas tree while it was waiting to be brought into the house.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    Walked the dog for 30 minutes as a warm up, then a 5 mile run this evening. Another good run with the Asics. Is it too early to think about getting another pair? 😁
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I think I can get about 60 of that 2,038 miles covered with walks by the end of the year so long as the foot continues to cooperate. That is at my current levels these last 2 weeks, so hopefully that may help. I had not been walking at all prior to that, so the trajectory might be changing ever so slightly upwards. Otherwise, just let me know, I may have a couple thousand miles in me somewhere! :lol:
    Maybe we can add about 30 people?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    @Teresa502 wrote: »
    Doesn’t help with our Run the World challenge though. ☹ Speaking of which, we only need 3,281 kilometers (2,038.8 miles) to finish the year!

1,904 Miles Remaining
    -335 Miles Behind Pace

Noticed, been watching the slow down , trying to fight my disappointment that we may not make it.

I know! We are now -539 kilometers behind pace. At least we made it onto land now - we won't drown in the ocean.
    @quilteryoyo - did you go back and enter your miles yet?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    December 1 – 5.16 miles
    December 4 – 10.05 miles
    December 5 – 5.13 miles
    December 6 – 5.30 miles
    December 7 – 2 miles (treadmill)
    December 8 – 5.1 miles

32.74/100 miles completed

It was raining lightly this morning and 36F so not too bad. I think we saw a drug deal going down this morning. On a semi-sketchy street, we encountered three people on bicycles and they were swapping backpacks. This was 5:30 in the morning. There were three of us but we made a u-turn and decided a detour might be appropriate.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,960 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Sounds like you are doing great. Keep up the good work.

@martaindale That would be a hard schedule to work running in. That sounds like mine, except I don't know when I will be coming into work sometimes until the day before. So, scheduling runs becomes really hard. Not wanting to get up early just to run doesn't help. LOL Sounds like you are doing great though. You've got this.

@Teresa502 Not yet. I'll work on it. Maybe I can do a few every night. I think you made a wise decision to turn around on your run this morning. That's a little scary.