Vegetarian high protein sources

Hi guys what are your options for high protein diet being a vegetarian.

I am using following options available in all supermarkets in England.

Please don't mention protein supplements like whey protein etc.
Want real food

1) Mozzarella
2) Yogurt
3) Ricotta
4) Lentils and rice
5) soya products
6) peanut butter
Tagged:

Replies

• Nahlei
    Nahlei Posts: 99 Member
    Eggs if you eat them. Cottage cheese. High(er) protein vegetables like mushroom and asparagus. I typically have tofu, seitan, or tempeh with my lunches and dinners. Even with a focus on eating high protein foods I’ve had to supplement with whey, but I’m aiming for 1.6-2 g/kg

There’s a big spreadsheet with a list of protein sources floating around on the forums that I’ve seen linked to recently. Maybe someone can link that.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    Skyr yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt.
    Bread can be relatively high protein if it's wholegrain.
    There are high protein pastas available (made from chickpeas, lentils,...)
    Aside from lentils, chickpeas also contain protein.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Aldi's makes a soybean pasta that has 24 grams of protein per serving. I also like Seapoint Farms roasted edamame for a snack. I also tend to get most of my protein from real food, but am not opposed to adding some whey, collagen or pea protein powder to my coffee or oatmeal.
  • SwimBikeRun_Mom
    SwimBikeRun_Mom Posts: 46 Member
    Chickpeas are high in protein, I believe. Like a commenter above noted, you can find pasta made from chickpeas. You can also add them raw or roasted to salads, my husband loves to eat them roasted/crunchy with seasonings. You can also bake with them!
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Thank you everyone for your useful suggestions. I am definitely gonna try aldi soyabean pasta. I have tried tofu tempeh etc in the past dont enjoy it very much.

Chickpeas and other beans are part of my daily diet already.
    Still no for supplements for now. I have used them a lot in the past. But doesn't work well for me.
  • satisatisati
    Chickpeas are high in protein, I believe. Like a commenter above noted, you can find pasta made from chickpeas. You can also add them raw or roasted to salads, my husband loves to eat them roasted/crunchy with seasonings. You can also bake with them!

Thanks will definitely look for that pasta
  • satisatisati
    Aldi's makes a soybean pasta that has 24 grams of protein per serving. I also like Seapoint Farms roasted edamame for a snack. I also tend to get most of my protein from real food, but am not opposed to adding some whey, collagen or pea protein powder to my coffee or oatmeal.

Thanks I am going to look got that example and soyabean pasta at aldi
  • satisatisati

It's a regular thing in my diet. Chickpeas and other beans. Just forgot to mention
  • satisatisati
    Greek yogurt
    Eggs
    Hemp
    Edamame
    Most beans
    Almonds
    Pumpkin seeds
    Quinoa
    Spinach
    Potatoes
    Certain breads (like sprouted)
    Oats
    Broccoli
    This one is technically a supplement but spirulina.
    Also I get a lot of protein from plant milk. I use silk almond + cashew protein milk. It’s smooth and creamy like dairy.

Thanks for sharing
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited December 2021
    FWIW: IME, the soy pastas (and thin types of black bean pasta) tend to be chewier than wheat pasta. I prefer those in pseudo Asian preps, such as peanut sauce, chile sauce, miso sauces - that sort of thing.

A good peanut or almond sauce can be made with peanut butter powder or almond powder. I mix the powder with some gochujang chile sauce (or soy sauce) and rice vinegar, then add whatever other seasonings sound good (minced garlic, Szechuan pepper if I didn't use chile sauce, fresh ginger, chopped raw green onions - whatever). Mix sauce with stir fried (or stir-steamed) veggies and that pastas for a decent meal.

Chickpea and red lentil pasta have a texture more like wheat pasta. I use both, but give an edge to red lentil for flavor/texture. There are some chickpea "rices" now (really chickpea orzo) that are pretty good.

If you haven't enjoyed tofu because of the texture, consider using soft type tofu in creamy soups (squash, sweet potato, mushroom, whatever) or sauces, maybe pureeing in some pumpkin seeds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, or something like that if you have the calories, to add richess. White beans can also be pureed with soft tofu to make sauce or soup. The tofu's flavor is neutral, texture is unnoticable in the soup. Soft tofu can also be used to increase the protein in something like lasagna or mac'n'cheese, too. Even fine-chopped firm tofu is pretty subtle in something baked like that, too.

I didn't used to eat much tofu or tempeh, but have learned some ways I like it. Tofu, I often cube firm tofu small and put in the over for a while to dry out, then use it in veggies with soy sauce or other light, flavorful sauces (maybe toss it in at then end of sauteeing mushrooms). It is a little chewy, absorbs the flavor of the sauce. I've learned I like plain tempeh sliced thin & baked or fried with dried mushroom powder, maybe with some soy sauce or diluted dark miso to adhere the powder.

Smoked tofu is good in soup or sandwiches. I like to make a wrap with an Ezekiel tortilla, some cheese, mustard, thin-sliced onion, slices of the smoked tofu . . . heat that . . . then add raw sauerkraut.

Speaking as a long term vegetarian, getting the overall protein up is not just about the "one big protein per meal" idea that omnivores often use ("what's for dinner?" "chicken"). Think about getting bits of protein in lots of other things you eat: Breads with more protein, grains with more protein, veggies with more protein, condiments, beverages, snacks - anything. Those little bits really add up.

Some things that help with that, in small ways: Peanut butter powder and almond powder (not protein powder per se, it's just partially defatted nuts) which aren't good as spreads IMO, but a good ingredient in sauces, desserts, smoothies, etc.; nutritional yeast (cheesy flavor); all colors of miso (each of which has different flavor profiles).

Someone mentioned dry-roasted soybeans. There are also crispy broad beans that make a nice snack, and you can buy or make crispy chickpeas or lentils for snacking. I like Beanitos tortilla chips, and they have a bit more protein than corn chips.

ETA: Oh, yeah, seitan, too - unless you're gluten sensitive. But you might find its texture odd, too, dunno.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Oops, the protein spreadsheet someone mentioned is linked in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

You'll want to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy stuff at the top, but lots of dairy and plant sources are on the list, too. It's a great source - really helped me early on, when I was trying to fit more protein into fewer calories.
  • satisatisati
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW: IME, the soy pastas (and thin types of black bean pasta) tend to be chewier than wheat pasta. I prefer those in pseudo Asian preps, such as peanut sauce, chile sauce, miso sauces - that sort of thing.

A good peanut or almond sauce can be made with peanut butter powder or almond powder. I mix the powder with some gochujang chile sauce (or soy sauce) and rice vinegar, then add whatever other seasonings sound good (minced garlic, Szechuan pepper if I didn't use chile sauce, fresh ginger, chopped raw green onions - whatever). Mix sauce with stir fried (or stir-steamed) veggies and that pastas for a decent meal.

Chickpea and red lentil pasta have a texture more like wheat pasta. I use both, but give an edge to red lentil for flavor/texture. There are some chickpea "rices" now (really chickpea orzo) that are pretty good.

If you haven't enjoyed tofu because of the texture, consider using soft type tofu in creamy soups (squash, sweet potato, mushroom, whatever) or sauces, maybe pureeing in some pumpkin seeds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, or something like that if you have the calories, to add richess. White beans can also be pureed with soft tofu to make sauce or soup. The tofu's flavor is neutral, texture is unnoticable in the soup. Soft tofu can also be used to increase the protein in something like lasagna or mac'n'cheese, too. Even fine-chopped firm tofu is pretty subtle in something baked like that, too.

I didn't used to eat much tofu or tempeh, but have learned some ways I like it. Tofu, I often cube firm tofu small and put in the over for a while to dry out, then use it in veggies with soy sauce or other light, flavorful sauces (maybe toss it in at then end of sauteeing mushrooms). It is a little chewy, absorbs the flavor of the sauce. I've learned I like plain tempeh sliced thin & baked or fried with dried mushroom powder, maybe with some soy sauce or diluted dark miso to adhere the powder.

Smoked tofu is good in soup or sandwiches. I like to make a wrap with an Ezekiel tortilla, some cheese, mustard, thin-sliced onion, slices of the smoked tofu . . . heat that . . . then add raw sauerkraut.

Speaking as a long term vegetarian, getting the overall protein up is not just about the "one big protein per meal" idea that omnivores often use ("what's for dinner?" "chicken"). Think about getting bits of protein in lots of other things you eat: Breads with more protein, grains with more protein, veggies with more protein, condiments, beverages, snacks - anything. Those little bits really add up.

Some things that help with that, in small ways: Peanut butter powder and almond powder (not protein powder per se, it's just partially defatted nuts) which aren't good as spreads IMO, but a good ingredient in sauces, desserts, smoothies, etc.; nutritional yeast (cheesy flavor); all colors of miso (each of which has different flavor profiles).

Someone mentioned dry-roasted soybeans. There are also crispy broad beans that make a nice snack, and you can buy or make crispy chickpeas or lentils for snacking. I like Beanitos tortilla chips, and they have a bit more protein than corn chips.

ETA: Oh, yeah, seitan, too - unless you're gluten sensitive. But you might find its texture odd, too, dunno.

Hi thank you for sharing so many ideas.
    I am currently using 50 grams of soya chunks and it gives me a very high amount of protein. I find it lot more tastier than tofu or tempeh. It's easier to stock soya chunks it at home than tofu or tempeh as you have to keep visiting supermarkets.
    Regarding the other options you mentioned they all are part of my diet already.

• satisatisati
    Nahlei wrote: »
    Eggs if you eat them. Cottage cheese. High(er) protein vegetables like mushroom and asparagus. I typically have tofu, seitan, or tempeh with my lunches and dinners. Even with a focus on eating high protein foods I’ve had to supplement with whey, but I’m aiming for 1.6-2 g/kg

There’s a big spreadsheet with a list of protein sources floating around on the forums that I’ve seen linked to recently. Maybe someone can link that.

I tried cottage cheese one day. Just couldn't eat it. It was so sour. May I know which brand you use?

• I tried cottage cheese one day. Just couldn't eat it. It was so sour. May I know which brand you use?

Cottage cheese is generally sour. Have a look at different recipes and see if you like any of them. I prefer to eat my cottage cheese as a sweet snack, not a fan of it as a savoury snack. I eat it with sweetener and sugar free chocolate powder. If you blend it with frozen fruit and sweetener, it turns into a protein "ice cream"
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I love savory cottage cheese -- usually eat it either plain or as a side with dinner, so mixed with the main course and veg. Also extra nice with avocado or olives or pepperoncini, IMO. Good on potatoes instead of sour cream too.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited December 2021
    Nahlei wrote: »

I tried cottage cheese one day. Just couldn't eat it. It was so sour. May I know which brand you use?

Doesn't matter the brand - cottage cheese is just gross in general (imo). :#

As for the OP question - I sometimes crumble tempeh to add protein to veg chili and pasta sauce - it kind of gives it that "ground beef" texture. Yesterday I made stuffed acorn squash, and the crumbled tempeh was indistinguishable mixed in with the quinoa, bean, feta, dried fruit/nut mixture - but added a bit of protein.
  • fbstaton
    fbstaton Posts: 1 Member
    Good morning from Germany. I've been predominantly plant-based (near vegan) for over a year (yes, I eat Nacho Doritoes - but that's my guilty pleasure). Two things I like to keep in mind when selecting protein (1) quality i.e. as close to "real food" as possible (not highly processed; (2) Plant-based. I've enclosed a weblink to a search selection of Vegan Protein Charts. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Vegan+Protein+Food+Chart&form=RESTAB&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

My preference is for lots of beans - lots of protein per 100 g and lots of fibre.

Enjoy the day.
  • kittycatowner
    kittycatowner Posts: 4 Member
    amazon sells plant based protein powder
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    I like Tesco Full Fat cottage cheese. More creamy than most