Calling all rowers.....

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    11612 today at lunch. Went from thinking there's no way I'll get 200K in to "hey, I might be able to take X-mas Eve off!".

107072 cumulative

Congrats!

As I recall, you were trying to do "catch up" to get to 200k. So, I feel your "pain." ;)

FWIW, it's not hard for me to do 200k meters in a month if I row consistently but "catch up" is a b*tch!

I always row at least 200k meters during each month long challenge just by doing 10k meters/day, 5 days/wk but when I miss a day (or have to row extra to take a day off), I really dread doing the 15-20k make up sessions which are (for me) literally a PITA that I have to push myself to do. Definitely no "fun."

Cumulative for the challenge is 150k so far and still on schedule to do 210k by the 24th.

Thanks Sgt! I gotta admit, I'm looking forward to not rowing for a few days! It's been a few years since I've put in this kind of meters. I was doing mostly cross training. Till I'm at 200K, it's all going to be rowing. I've even put lifting since Covid off. Don't think my old body can handle it with all the meters.

12392 today (ever so slow, all unstrapped).

119,464 Cumulative

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Dec. 16: BikeErg, 16,347 meters, counts as 8,174 challenge meters. 155,925 meters cumulative.

@sgt1372, your comments about getting behind really resonate. Sometime in the first couple of years I did the Holiday Challenge, I slacked off midway, and had to do some 20k days to catch up. After that experience, I'm pretty motivated to stay on some kind of realistic schedule if at all possible!

@MikePfirrman, I'm glad you're feeling well enough to catch up, with your 12k-ish days. I hope your recovery from the Covid continues on a good course, and that the plan to limit activity other than rowing, for now, helps that happen.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited December 2021
    Options
    13234 today.

132,698 cumulative

I'm taking my regular off day tomorrow. Could use it.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Dec. 17: RowErg, 8,249 meters; 164,174 challenge meters cumulative.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Dec. 18 (already?!? 😉): BikeErg, 16,497 meters, counts as 8,249 challenge meters. 172,423 meters cumulative. Home stretch?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    12,273 m today, 152,210 to date. No days off between now & Christmas Eve.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited December 2021
    Options
    16500 today. Was hoping for more, but that's all I had in me today. If I can get 12.75K the next four days, I'd love to take off X-mas Eve.

149,240 cumulative
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    BTW, Concept2 hit their max donation today or late yesterday (45K). So any meters after this won't add to your charity but I'll likely still shoot for 200K just as a personal challenge.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    BTW, Concept2 hit their max donation today or late yesterday (45K). So any meters after this won't add to your charity but I'll likely still shoot for 200K just as a personal challenge.

That's wonderful: Some (many?) years, they haven't reached their initial goal. Imma still go for the 200k, too - as you know from other threads, it's part of my annual Winter "get over mourning the end of on-water season" strategy.😆
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    12562 today.

161,802 cumulative

If I had to row on X-mas Eve, I'm OK with that. I have an online rowing 1K Timed Test to turn in this month and I'm hoping I only have 1K left by Friday. Would be a great way to hit 200K with a short warmup and sprint and be done (well, never done rowing, but not this many meters!).
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Dec. 20: RowErg, 8,214 meters; 180,637 challenge meters cumulative.

Running about a day ahead in meters at this point, with no more prescheduled rest days planned. Will see where I end up, might shorten the last day if tired or busy.
  • SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

I forgot that you could go over 200k and it still count until they hit their ceiling. Glad I kept going.

I'm currently at 281,767m though at this point, it's for personal accomplishment.

I crossed 8 million overall today.

Used to be many more rowers here when I originally signed up for MFP in 2014. Seems most either don't participate or have left.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited December 2021
    Options

I forgot that you could go over 200k and it still count until they hit their ceiling. Glad I kept going.

I'm currently at 281,767m though at this point, it's for personal accomplishment.

Used to be many more rowers here when I originally signed up for MFP in 2014. Seems most either don't participate or have left.

That's some amazing meters. I think my top ever is like 310,000 in a month (and if I recall right, I broke down not long after!).

There used to be this thing called Crazy Bear Challenge. It was on Facebook and on the Concept2 forums. I believe it was row like 30 half marathons in 45 days. Your 15K days, many strung together like you have, aren't that far off from Crazy Bear type meters. I think CB disbanded because most that had done it once never wanted to do it again and those that hadn't had no desire to try!

With that said, I'm currently following the Talisker Whiskey Challenge across the Atlantic. It's where singles to teams of four row across the ocean, all while protecting/respecting the environment -- no plastic left behind, they make their own water. Really cool. This is the first year that I've not known someone personally going across the ocean, though a buddy of mine is doing the Pacific one next year.

The teams of four row 2 hours, sleep 2 hours. And they do that for up to 50 days! It's really quite insane when you think about that. I struggled to do an hour for like 15 out of 17 days.

Today was 12172 meters.

173,974 cumulative. Just a hair too much to try to get done in 2 days, so I'll likely have to row on X-mas Eve.
  • SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member
    Options

That's some amazing meters. I think my top ever is like 310,000 in a month (and if I recall right, I broke down not long after!).

There used to be this thing called Crazy Bear Challenge. It was on Facebook and on the Concept2 forums. I believe it was row like 30 half marathons in 45 days. Your 15K days, many strung together like you have, aren't that far off from Crazy Bear type meters. I think CB disbanded because most that had done it once never wanted to do it again and those that hadn't had no desire to try!

With that said, I'm currently following the Talisker Whiskey Challenge across the Atlantic. It's where singles to teams of four row across the ocean, all while protecting/respecting the environment -- no plastic left behind, they make their own water. Really cool. This is the first year that I've not known someone personally going across the ocean, though a buddy of mine is doing the Pacific one next year.

The teams of four row 2 hours, sleep 2 hours. And they do that for up to 50 days! It's really quite insane when you think about that. I struggled to do an hour for like 15 out of 17 days.

Today was 12172 meters.

173,974 cumulative. Just a hair too much to try to get done in 2 days, so I'll likely have to row on X-mas Eve.

^^ That's insane.

I generally don't hit that many 15k's all year long, but this time of year, I've personally given up fighting the miserable cold, ice and snow and make rowing my predominant source of exercise.

Years ago I made it a point to do one 1/2 marathon weekly. Would even do a marathon or two over the winter. My goal is to get back to doing more 1/2 marathons, though, not sure I will be able to muster up enough to do on a weekly basis. My body is 6-7 years older now.

Things hurt more in my mid-50's then they did back then.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Dec. 21: BikeErg, 16,498 meters, counts as 8,249 challenge meters. 188,886 meters cumulative.

I've rowed half marathon distances plus on water across a day (not continuous). There's essentially zero chance of my rowing a half marathon continuously on a machine. A rowing machine is a useful off-season appliance, but not my idea of a good time. Boats are a good time. More power (literally!) to those who feel differently! 😉
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    WhooHoo: I wondered if Concept 2 would respond, and they have, being the fine folks that they are! The max donation ceiling has been raised from $45,000 all the way up to $70,000.

I was going to finish out the Challenge regardless, but it seems like good news that y'all who're heavy hitters on the meters are still generating donations, up to the new ceiling.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    WhooHoo: I wondered if Concept 2 would respond, and they have, being the fine folks that they are! The max donation ceiling has been raised from $45,000 all the way up to $70,000.

I was going to finish out the Challenge regardless, but it seems like good news that y'all who're heavy hitters on the meters are still generating donations, up to the new ceiling.

That is awesome!
  • MikePfirrman
    Options

Today was 12172 meters.

^^ That's insane.

I generally don't hit that many 15k's all year long, but this time of year, I've personally given up fighting the miserable cold, ice and snow and make rowing my predominant source of exercise.

Years ago I made it a point to do one 1/2 marathon weekly. Would even do a marathon or two over the winter. My goal is to get back to doing more 1/2 marathons, though, not sure I will be able to muster up enough to do on a weekly basis. My body is 6-7 years older now.

Things hurt more in my mid-50's then they did back then.

I believe I know like 3 or 4 people that do that kind of meters. One guy does halves every week. And he does low rate rows at HR levels I could only dream of and is sub 2:00 pace on his "easy" days. Now, he's a mountain of a fella but I'm just in awe.

I've done exactly two half marathons and never a full marathon. Might be a goal of mine in retirement though it would be a very, very slow row with a lot of breaks!
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    12,460 today

186350 cumulative. Almost there!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Dec. 22: RowErg, 8,246 meters; 197,132 challenge meters cumulative.