What is ONE exercise I could do daily if I can only pick one?

2»

Replies

• avtlove
    avtlove Posts: 82 Member
    cbihatt wrote: »
    I would say Pilates, if you are going by the idea that one workout=one exercise.

I LOVE pilates!! I don't see a lot of people on here who do pilates, though. I've been doing it for over a month and I absolutely love my pilates classes!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    The only regular excerise I currently do is row 10k meters/day, 5 days a week. This translates into 1 hour of exercise and about 520 cals burned each day.

I still own an expensive spin bike plus a lot of weight lifting equipment and cross fit exercise gear that I hardly use any more.

I just row instead because IMO there isn't any single form of exercise that is more effective and can be performed more easily/conveniently in the privacy of your home anytime you chose, 24/7.
  • Deep0527
    Deep0527 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2021
    Run or swim. I do both these on alternate days and love each one.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,334 Member
    avtlove wrote: »
    I would say Pilates, if you are going by the idea that one workout=one exercise.

I LOVE pilates!! I don't see a lot of people on here who do pilates, though. I've been doing it for over a month and I absolutely love my pilates classes!

I do hot mat Pilates at my yoga studio, but tbh, the classes lost any challenge months ago. My favorite Pilates instructor left and opened up her own studio, within walking distance. She was very challenging, even for mat classes, and she’s got towers and everything at her new studio. I just asked hubs if he had any objection if I take a few of her classes.

Exercise is becoming expensive , with multiple gym and studio memberships, but it’s not like we’re traveling in retirement as we’d planned, and it’s an investment in excellent mobility for when we can travel, right?

Just call me GOAT Rationalizer.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    avtlove wrote: »

I've been doing it for a few years and like it.
  • I don’t think I could only do one exercise. I’d get bored.
    If you’re asking for general discussion, then I’d say walking.
    If you’re asking because you really only want to do one exercise, then you need to select something that you enjoy.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    The one I'd never give up is weight lifting but it depends on your goals. Mine are retain muscle and bone density so resistance exercise is key.

Rowing (machine) is second. It seems to draw on more body parts than most others and I do want the best bang for my exercise buck.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    What the reason to stick to one only exercise? You cutting yourself short from the very beginning from all the imaginable world of millions types of exercises. Human needs everything : strength, indurance, cardiohealth, flexibility, balance, coordination, proprio in space, reaction and so on... You d better think about how to combine as many as possible exercises in most convinient and efficient way.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Turkish Get Up.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 195 Member
    I would do a 20 or 30 minute HIIT (High intensity interval training) workout daily. You can find great classes or free videos on youtube. There have been several past threads with recommendations. (or start a new thread to ask for some).
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I'll be another one voting for pilates. Clinical pilates is the go to exercise recommendation for a lot of people with injuries and disabilities. It's phenomenal for core strength, which makes everything easier.
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    TamiVsTheTrail Posts: 75 Member
    Trail running! I love it, it clears my mind, lifts my mood and makes me feel like great!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Turkish Get Up.

Never heard of it so googled and found this:

https://www.spartan.com/blogs/unbreakable-community/turkish-get-up
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    Trail running! I love it, it clears my mind, lifts my mood and makes me feel like great!

I wonder what a heart rate monitor would record if I were trail running and ran into a spider web. One time out in the woods I walked through one of those huge orb-type spider webs. During my blind panic in making sure I got all the web off and any potential spiders, I smacked myself upside the head so hard my glasses flew off. I wish I could enjoy trail running, but even a single thin strand of web across the path freaks me out. On the other hand, I do get the same feelings you described when I go for a combination walk/run through a paved park. I've been too lazy about exercising for a while now. Time to get back to it.