January 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,948 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins ...and it really ticks me off because I run a circular route so I should only have it in my face a quarter of the time. But that's why I let my hair and beard grow out in the winter.
    Speaking of beards, one of the ladies walking her dog this morning asked if she could borrow mine.
    :lol::lol:

@skippygirlsmom Thank you. That is so sweet, but I was able to figure it out and get @shanaber the $4 this morning. I know the house must seem really empty when Skip leaves. Getting free shoes? Maybe I should go to work at a Fleet Foot. LOL

@Teresa502 I don't blame you for saying "no" to an outdoor run! The snow is beautiful though and I love the neighbor with the horse and wagon. We got the cold, but less than half an inch of snow. I was glad to stay in today too.

I walked 2 miles on the treadmill this afternoon while watching an episode of "Castle." I find it easier to walk on the treadmill without getting bored than running. Wonder why that is? Humm.
  • quilteryoyo
    @Juliexx00 Glad you got outside for a run. But, that's a lot of snow. How do you run in it when it isn't packed down?

@martaindale You are doing great. When and where is your race?

Glad you were able to get off of the treadmill @Faebert . I often take breaks on the hills, but I count them toward my mileage "ran."

@Tramboman Nice run. We need an ice beard picture.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    1/8: 3.5 miles. Month-to-date: 13.5 mi Working on getting lighter running shoes. Mine feel too stiff and heavy.
  • quilteryoyo
    @katharmonic Congratulations on your run. I would have baled and not went at all.

hahaha @Juliexx00 !

@SummerSkier Great running. Love the video! :lol:

You're doing great @marisap2010 !

@globalhiker Do you have a running store near you where you can go get fitted. Most will do a foot measurement and recommend the correct shoe for you.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited January 2022
    Once again I posted about an adventure and then didn't even check in for a couple days. Sorry, conference. Thanks for all the kind words!

Now I quote and respond to a bunch of you at once. It got long so - spoiler.
    shanaber wrote: »
    @polskagirl01 - Also it is great that you were so well prepared. I bet that souvenir guy has seen lots of unprepared 'tourists' who think they can make it and then have to be rescued...
    I am sure you are right about souvenir guy. I thought that too. There's even a trend now where people go hiking in the mountains in winter wearing just shorts (and not taking clothing in a backpack in case of an emergency). But the doubts still came - Does being faster than tourist hikers, having a bunch of stuff in a backpack and plans for various emergency situations mean his advice doesn't apply, or am I just foolishly thinking "it can't happen to me"? Fortunately my estimation of my abilities and timing was accurate, and I didn't need my safety gear/plans, but it's so important that I had it.
    @polskagirl01 Enjoy the rest of your conference - all the others there are going to know how bada$$ you are.
    Haha, so... I actually didn't tell that many people. Most just don't get it. So I come tell you all instead and other people just think I went for a walk.
    @eleanorhawkins You've got this! Can you go to the race website and find pictures of previous races or find the route and use google maps for a satellite view? Would that make you feel better about it?

@polskagirl01 You did great. I can't imagine doing that run on my own, in the dark, in unfamiliar territory. I guess I really am a wimp. Beautiful pictures!
    @eleanorhawkins have you seen the Relive app? If you have a GPS or similar file of the route, you can import it and make a cool visualization. I don't know if I can post a link to my recent adventure, but I'll try: https://www.relive.cc/view/vrqDdnMrzwq
    ETA: I don't think it will work because of privacy settings, unless you actually install the app and follow me.

@quilteryoyo you are not a wimp at all! It's all relative. People probably think you're crazy for exercising after heart surgery (not your doctors though - they're probably proud of you). I think most of us here have gotten wherever we are incrementally, one step at a time. Or maybe my risk meter is defective? The darkness coming down made me question myself, as one of my precautions is "main, popular trails", so there are always people around, and other than a couple vehicles from the lodge, there was no one around after dark. Although not far from the lodge I did pass 2 people walking downhill together, without lights. I don't know if they were going all the way down, but I don't think they'd've been much help to me, and I was no help to them as I was running.

Feel free to speak up if you see me or anyone else here doing something we shouldn't!

Nice shoes @marisap2010 and raccoon adventures @rheddmobile !
    @polskagirl01 great write up and pictures. Sorry you didn’t get to see the lake, the spring picture shows how beautiful it is. Dang kinda wish someone would have said to you “hey if you are going just to see the lake and the view you can’t”.
    Thing is the visibility wasn't bad going up. The lake just happened to be in the clouds. I had hoped it wouldn't be too bad, or that it might open up even a little when I got there, but nope. There were plenty of people with climbing gear around, but all were heading in the direction of the lodge, so there must've been some visibility earlier, otherwise I'm not sure how they got anywhere.

@Tramboman Now I'm wondering, how does one lend out a beard?