For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    Not exactly healthy but I was intrigued by a recipe for kakiage using bean sprouts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR3P-OVhvTQ
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    On a trip to Sainsburys yesterday I came across a lone bag of Jerusalem Artichokes. It had been abandoned in the broccoli trays. I’ve never seen them before in real life and it’s a mystery to me where it came from as I couldn’t find more!

Anyway, I bought them, of course…always up for something new in the vegetable world.

Does anyone have any favourite ways with them?

@BarbaraHelen2013 please update with review and preparation used. I’ve never had them. They were always dang pricey and not ‘eye pretty’ enough to win me over.

Tasted raw they reminded me a little of Water Chestnuts, but I decided to cook them.

I went with a recipe I found on Pinterest - sliced thinly, sautéed with mushrooms with garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and loads of fresh parsley added at the end.

To be perfectly honest, if someone else had cooked it and given it to me I’d have just thought it was new potatoes. 🤷‍♀️ Nothing special and I had really bad stomach cramps yesterday which I believe can be an issue with Jerusalem Artichokes. Something to do with inulin and it’s effect on your gut biome.

Not sure yet whether I’ll risk the rest of the bag cooked some other way, the cramps have put me off somewhat!

Anyway, here’s a picture, with some very good, stupidly low calorie vegan sausages and salad.

4ihtnn0zyu56.jpeg

This is all so helpful. ❤️
    Thank you!!!
    I enjoy water chestnuts, but I will bulk consume new veggies and it’s sometimes not looked kindly upon by my body. I appreciate the heads up!

The vegan sausages- brand name?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    @purplefizzy - The vegan sausages are a brand called ‘Heck’ who do standard meat sausages of all types too. These are their ‘Vegan Italia’ version. 49 calories per 2 sausages, so only 98 for the 4 I tend to go with.

Best vegetarian or vegan sausages I’ve tried - and I’ve tried plenty, despite disliking actual sausages in my non-vegetarian past!

Don’t know if you have the brand that side of the Atlantic though. 🤷‍♀️
  • acpgee
    Maybe misguided attempt to make reduced fat vegetable tempura with daikon and carrots. I used a heaped tablespoon each of rice flour (makes a thinner crust and absorbs less oil than wheat flour) and potato starch (promotes brittleness) and cold sparkling water for the batter. Pan fried in two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a non stick pan to harden the wet batter, drained on paper towels on top of corrugated cardboard and finished for 10 minutes in the air fryer. Admittedly the 2 tablespoons of oil I used in the non stick pan was all absorbed by the wet batter.
    cxkfsgqzjj1c.jpg

• acpgee
    Second experiment with just a very scant drizzle of oil and potato starch only was interesting. No oiliness but still a satisfying tempura crunch after 10 minutes in the air fryer. However potato starch on its own results in a crust that is too brittle.
    inder4t7carg.jpg
  • acpgee
    This works if you are craving vegetable tempura and do not want to use a lot of oil. Successful wet batter of half self raising flour (contains baking soda which supposedly creates fluffier crust), and half potato starch (for extra brittleness).
    Wet batter was hardened in a non stick pan with a very scant drizzle of oil. I spooned a little batter over the carrots in the pan as my batter was a little too thin so didn't adhere well. Makes the veg easier to turn too, because the pieces stick together in a thin sheet and can be turned all together with a spatula instead of individual pieces. Up to this stage prep can be done in advance. When you want to eat, finish at 200C in the air fryer 5-10 minutes.
    awl4r56h219u.jpg

• acpgee
    Tonight's veggie sides after lunchtime experiments at making root veg tempura with less fat.
    Thank you @BarbaraHelen2013 for suggestion to do braised celery. Braising liquid was broth from the sous vide bag from making salt beef. And @lemurcat2, I did roast daikon for the first time. The other side was a household standard of glazed carrots.
    oj5sx5hspw91.jpeg
  • purplefizzy
    @purplefizzy - The vegan sausages are a brand called ‘Heck’ who do standard meat sausages of all types too. These are their ‘Vegan Italia’ version. 49 calories per 2 sausages, so only 98 for the 4 I tend to go with.

Best vegetarian or vegan sausages I’ve tried - and I’ve tried plenty, despite disliking actual sausages in my non-vegetarian past!

Don’t know if you have the brand that side of the Atlantic though. 🤷‍♀️

We are brand challenged on this rock, but I get around. Oh Heck, my eyes are peeled now ;)
  • purplefizzy
    rq3bzylzxjp3.jpeg

Very typical trough o’ greens, fizzy style.

Spinach & baby red leaf
    Fresh cilantro
    Scallion tops ‘fried’ on an oiled plate in micro
    Pom arils (on their way out..)
    Avocado oil (spray)
    Bit of Red Shell Miso dressing
    Many grinds of TJs ‘everyday’ seasoning
    TJ’s ‘all the alliums’ seasoning
    Squeezed over @ end some yuzu (I think… Lemonish but not, was a gift)

Whilst I adore plants and eat ‘mostly plants’… this salad to be consumed with tritip done in air fryer. (Genius method.)

@acpgee your descriptions 😍
    Those ‘sorta tempura’ carrots sound amazing. My phone is being image grumpy I think, but drooling still!
  • purplefizzy
    acpgee wrote: »
    Not exactly healthy but I was intrigued by a recipe for kakiage using bean sprouts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR3P-OVhvTQ

So I attempted burdock once, a random googled recipe. Edible, but only barely.
    Then a Japanese friend brought some over prepared according to some form of magic. It was killer. Always catches my eye. I’ll attempt again, someday.
  • acpgee
    @purplefizzy
    What amused me about the bean sprout and burdock kakiage the recipe video is the end, where the chef praises bean sprouts and burdock for being so healthy and low calories. Umm, not if you batter and deep fry, I think.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 434 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Advice for cooking cauliflower that my hubby can tolerate requested. He has always professed to hate the stuff unless smothered in cheese sauce which is a pity because I quite like cauliflower but no longer cook it at home. However, last night he liked a saffron confit cauliflower I ordered at an Indian restaurant.

Any recipe suggestions where the cauliflower is tender, rather than crunchy and is combined with some strong flavourings, maybe to mask the cabbage smell. Hubby's preference of smothering boiled vegetables in cheese sauce or hollandaise is not within my calorie goals.

I know this is an old post but I had some General Tso's cauliflower once and it was amazing! Though that's going to be a crunchy texture but I really didn't taste the cauliflower at all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I did the experiment with Meyer lemon and tofu: A big thin-sliced sweet onion, mixed with a bit of macadamia oil, roasted in a pyrex dish until softened and a few brown bits; then added a thin-sliced Meyer lemon, a slivered clove of elephant garlic, cubed (maybe 1/4"?) drained but not pressed firm tofu (239g out of package, before fully draining), and some freshly-ground black pepper (no white on hand) and salt, then put it back in the oven until lemons/garlic softened a bit and it was all hot.

Flavor reminded me a little bit of Pasta al Limone: I liked it, and it was filling. It would've been good with some pasta or cauliflower mixed in, but that didn't seem essential. I'd do it again.

Appearance wasn't very prepossessing (generally a pale food 😆) but texture was pleasant - not all mushy as one might assume. Looked like this:

691zn83i453d.jpg
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    My husband has to go out of state for several days/a week and I’m going to use the chance to make and eat some of my beloved cauliflower! (Husband has a huge aversion to it from a stomach flu and can’t even stand the smell. He can’t even kiss me when I eat it, it’s that bad lol)

Anyone wanting to share their favorite cauliflower preparations? You are also welcome to laugh at me being excited about eating a vegetable while my spouse is away lolol
  • acpgee
    My husband has to go out of state for several days/a week and I’m going to use the chance to make and eat some of my beloved cauliflower! (Husband has a huge aversion to it from a stomach flu and can’t even stand the smell. He can’t even kiss me when I eat it, it’s that bad lol)

Anyone wanting to share their favorite cauliflower preparations? You are also welcome to laugh at me being excited about eating a vegetable while my spouse is away lolol

I love it cut into florets, drizzled with olive oil and roasted. Also a Chinese stir fry with sweet Chinese sausage.
    https://simplechinesefood.com/recipe/stir-fried-cauliflower-with-spicy-sausage
    My hubby hates the crunchy texture of those recipes. This is the only we he will eat it.
    https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/miznons-whole-roasted-cauliflower
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,162 Member
    @o0Firekeeper0o

I'm with @acpgee about roasting. The method she describes makes really tasty cauliflower. The last four or five times I've made it though, I've roasted it whole. It looks pretty. It does take longer - an hour on 450, but I leave convection off. I use 425 with convection when I break it up first. I make a "sauce" and rub some on the outside and some on the inside before cooking. Mostly a mix of spices and a little mustard.
    1mg1x1bau30c.jpg

kz99qay73pmc.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,162 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I did the experiment with Meyer lemon and tofu: A big thin-sliced sweet onion, mixed with a bit of macadamia oil, roasted in a pyrex dish until softened and a few brown bits; then added a thin-sliced Meyer lemon, a slivered clove of elephant garlic, cubed (maybe 1/4"?) drained but not pressed firm tofu (239g out of package, before fully draining), and some freshly-ground black pepper (no white on hand) and salt, then put it back in the oven until lemons/garlic softened a bit and it was all hot.

Flavor reminded me a little bit of Pasta al Limone: I liked it, and it was filling. It would've been good with some pasta or cauliflower mixed in, but that didn't seem essential. I'd do it again.

Appearance wasn't very prepossessing (generally a pale food 😆) but texture was pleasant - not all mushy as one might assume. Looked like this:

691zn83i453d.jpg

I hope you saved me some. I'll hop on my bike tomorrow. I should get there within a few weeks.... faster by a little bit if I just put the bike on the train.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    @mtaratoot, I ate it all. But for you, I'd make more. I can't recommend biking in my part of the country right now (unless you have one of those fancy snow bikes), and I can't quite imagine the great plains states (or the Rockies!). 😉