New You 2022 - Losing 50 to 100 pounds

Options
Hello everyone! I'm 55, 5'9 and currently 257 pounds. My weight loss goals are to lose 50 to 100 pounds and 10% body fat this year. Totally aware my mindset is my biggest challenge getting started, I'm hoping to connect with a few who've already lost this much and maintaining (yeahhhh you! be my friend please! :smiley: ) as well as my fellow fatties getting started on a similar path. Let's help keep each other accountable and encouraged this year!! Happy New You #fitFam. Cheers to good health and well-being.

Replies

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,915 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hello @Ara_Cara welcome to the MyFitnessPal community!!
  • lesliei1
    lesliei1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am 60, 5'2 and 190 lb. My goal is to loose 50 lb. This is my first week. How far are you?
    Have a nice day!
  • Ara_Cara
    Ara_Cara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there @Nova and @sandielewis2001 ~ thanks for the welcome!! Hi @sandielewis2001 its my first week too. Created this profile months ago, but only inspired recently to actually do something about it :) Putting myself out here, making myself accountable -- and cleaning out the pantry are my first baby steps! How is your first week going?
  • jcjammerz
    jcjammerz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Jaime, and I'm 5'4, 207 pounds, working as a very active housekeeper. My goal is to get to 155, and eventually 135lbs. My food goals are to limit simple carbs, eat more fruits and veggies, and to eat mindfully. I'm trying to do this with my youngest son for our health.
  • sandielewis2001
    sandielewis2001 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    @Ara_Cara - I am having a good week. Work is busy and stressful but I am staying consistent with my morning exercise and food plan. I am glad that I have built habits that are easy to maintain when things get stressful.
  • cjsunnyside
    cjsunnyside Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new also and could be considered a fellow fatty! I am 16 days into logging each day! Let's do this!
  • Ara_Cara
    Ara_Cara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey @cjsunnyside !! Yessssss girl ~ only a few days in myself, but each day gets a little easier. Looking forward to taking my first set of measurements this weekend. Hoping for 2-5 inches total body loss in a month to 6 weeks. That's not unreasonable right? What about you? How often do you weigh and measure?
  • _manny_702
    _manny_702 Posts: 77 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi there, I'm Amanda and I'm a fellow fatty! I am also attempting to lose almost 100 pounds this year. I'm down 30 pounds since November 2021 but I have 60 more to go to get to my first goal weight. I would like to have you as an accountability buddy! 😁
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    Options
    Hi and welcome.
    I lost ~40# last year using MFP. Took some time off (set point theory) and am back now for another round. I'm 60 YO and now 236# at 5'7", so us old fatties CAN do this.

If I may make a suggestion: you say your goal is 50-100# this year. That's a wide range. Maybe set a monthly goal instead, see how it goes month by month and adjust from there? Shorter time frames seem to drive better accountability (vs. "well if I have a bad month this month I'll just make it up next month and still make my goal for the year" :D ) Best of luck to you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,039 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to the Community!

I just barely qualify for your criteria, having lost 50+ pounds at age 59-60, back in 2015-16, using MFP. Since then, I've been lurking around here to maintain a healthy weight, now age 66. I'm also kind of a sub-par MFP friend (more of a Community forum gal, I guess) - though I do accept friend requests generally, unless they look like the rare scammy ones (which you obviously aren't!).

May I suggest that you might check out the Larger Losers group here, for people who have (or had) 75 pounds or more to lose? Some really smart, cool, helpful MFP people tend to hang out there. It seems to still be active, unlike some other groups. Here's a direct link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

I do still log most days, though not every single day (in year 6+ of maintaining, I skip some, which I didn't earlier on). I was overweight to obese for around 30 years, have been in the normal BMI range since a few months after joining here (already a few months into weight loss at the time). I've had some ups and downs in weight, all within the normal BMI range and in the same size jeans (actually, the exact same jeans: I hate to shop!) In case it matters (I think it doesn't), I'm also severely hypothyroid (properly medicated), and of course post-menopausal (since chemotherapy for cancer in my 40s).

If a hedonistic aging hippie type like me can do this, so can you. Wishing you success!
  • shifuyaku1309
    shifuyaku1309 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! Looking for some friends for support to add 🥰 I'm trying to get to around 150-160 range, and I'm currently at 280 (it keeps going up and down right now). I don't know if I'll actually reach that goal this year because it seems impossible, but at least I have to keep trying. I've been trying to lose weight for 10 years now, I think lol
  • michelemorrill1
    michelemorrill1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is my first week on my weight loss journey, and I could use some motivation, support, and accountability. I'm a bit overwhelmed, and you all seem like a great bunch.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Started logging yesterday. So very new. I am female 54 yrs old with 55lbs to lose. I have been gaining for 5 yrs straight. Not only am I unhealthy, I am uncomfortable. I have the body type that puts weight everywhere so you don't notice it as much at first, but now... Looking to be healthy and sexy again. Love to join the support group Please. Thank You and God Speed to all.