January 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    edited January 2022
    @martaindale Somehow I missed your race report until I saw the quote from @Tramboman . CONGRATULATIONS on running such an awesome race and all of those PR's. Amazing!

@kgirlhart Nice job on your run yesterday. It snowed here last night and isn't going to get above freezing today, so I'm staying in, unless I decide to wrap up and go for a walk this afternoon. I love walking in the snow, but not when it is this cold....and windy.

@katharmonic I feel your pain. We only got about 2" of snow. It's pretty, but so cold.

@polskagirl01 I'm impressed that you ran on a slippery hill at all. Also impressed that your hill is so long. It's hilly around here, but more of rolling ones, so about 30 seconds to a minute gets me to the top..and I'm pretty slow. I like having a purpose to my workouts too.

@Teresa502 Nice job on your hike and run/walk. I don't think I could do zero drop shoes. I tried a pair that was less than my normal and sent them back.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,701 Member
    That's some great racing @martaindale! Great finish time and wow, you really kicked it in for the last mile!
  • quilteryoyo
    Great run @marisap2010 ! I'm sure you are going to love having hubby home!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Cold day here too- hovering around freezing all day and we are keeping the windows open for ventilation at school all day so there isn’t much respite indoors! Did another couple of miles on the treadmill before work, which I was glad of when I got outside to walk to work and found it was very icy underfoot.

1/1: 2.1m
    2/1: 2m
    3/1: 2.5m
    4/1: 2m
    5/1: 1m
    6/1: 2m
    7/1: 2.05m
    8/1: 2.7m
    9/1: 1.8m
    10/1: 2m
    11/1: 1.7m
    12/1: 2.25m
    13/1: 3.11m
    14/1: 2m
    15/1: 3.11m
    16/1: 2m
    16/1: 2m

Jan total: 36.3m
    Jan target: 30m
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Dog laps cuz it’s a bit chilly out
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    edited January 2022
    So much great running happening in such cold temps! Wow!
    Congratulations @marisap2010 @martaindale @Scott6255 and @eleanorhawkins!! Awesome races and great PRs! @eleanorhawkins - what did you finally end up wearing and were you comfortable?
    You all are making me want to sign up for races, something I have put aside for awhile, maybe forever since I can't run HMs any longer.
    @Teresa502 - If you haven't worn your 0 drop shoes in a while it can be like starting over to condition your legs to them again. I pretty much don't run in anything more than 3 and have no issues. In fact I think for me the higher drop shoes cause me achilles and foot issues. Maybe try wearing them for one pretty short run or hike each week or every other week. Also I would do some good calf stretches and massage to make your calves feel better.
    @quilteryoyo - the snow pictures are lovely. It always looks so pretty to me but then I never have to deal with it.

I am hanging in there, running when I can and mixing up running and walking, more of one or the other depending on how I feel. I am still hoping to get into the 100 mile club again this month.
    Today I planned to go for a run. Actually felt pretty great when I started out but that devolved quickly and I ended up mostly doing a fast walk although I did run some short bits. It is great running weather too. Cloudy and cool, low 60's with a breeze and a bit of drizzle. It was threatening to rain the entire time we were out and while I never felt any actual drops, I was soaked when I got home and the sidewalks were wet.
    Also saw a very strange sight on the trail today (reminder this is a paved urban trail along a river area). I looked up and saw a motorcyclist! I was shocked and initially thought it was likely some kid or smarta$$ trying to use the trail as a shortcut. When I stopped to go by with Hobbes, since the trail isn't very wide, I realized it was a cop! We often have helicopters circling around and there was one today but seeing the cop on his motorcycle way down on the trail freaked me out a bit. It isn't like he could pull on and off the trail either, there are only entrances at each end and in the middle so he must have had a reason to be that far in. I wanted to ask if everything was ok but he was talking on his radio.
    I am hoping the rain stays away. We have agility class tonight but only if it doesn't rain.
    ryfbc6cj3paf.png
    2022 Run the Year Team – Keeping it Sleasy 56.47/1256 miles (running and walking)

2022 Planned and Completed Races
    2022 Hot Chocolate Virtual 15k

2022 Snail’s Pace Virtual 10k
  • quilteryoyo
    Thanks @shanaber ! When the snow is on the trees, it really is pretty. I'm glad that it doesn't usually stay around very long here. So, I get to see it and then it's gone. LOL You are doing great to get out there and do what you can. I hope you figure out what is going on soon.

Thanks @martaindale . Those big swings in temperatures just makes the cold feel colder.

@Tramboman That's a lot of snow. I think the treadmill was a great choice.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    01/01/22 :::: 5.0 :::: 5.0
    01/02/22 :::: 3.2 :::: 8.2
    01/03/22 :::: 2.0 :::: 10.2
    01/04/22 :::: 4.2 :::: 14.4
    01/05/22 :::: 3.1 :::: 17.5
    01/06/22 :::: 3.1 :::: 20.6
    01/07/22 :::: 0.0 :::: 20.6
    01/08/22 :::: 6.0 :::: 26.6
    01/09/22 :::: 3.0 :::: 29.6
    01/10/22 :::: 3.0 :::: 32.7
    01/11/22 :::: 3.0 :::: 35.7
    01/12/22 :::: 3.0 :::: 38.7
    01/13/22 :::: 0.0 :::: 38.7
    01/14/22 :::: 3.6 :::: 42.2
    01/15/22 :::: 3.0 :::: 45.2
    01/16/22 :::: 10.3 :::: 55.6
    01/17/22 :::: 2.0 :::: 57.6
    01/18/22 :::: 3.3 :::: 60.9

Another treadmill day. It has stopped snowing but the streets are a mess - I am with you @Tramboman on not wanting to try to navigate snowbanks and traffic. I did a warmup before yoga but it was only 1.3 miles so I finished up after class to get it to a more respectable total for the day.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I ran this morning, but I’m considering doing another 5 tonight to call this my January HM distance...not all together, but hey work is trying to kill me. I’ve worked every day for the past 3 weeks so I’m fitting in the runs where I can.

@rheddmobile you’re raccoon luring 10 year old made me think of a guy I follow on TikTok, I think they live in Australia but their neighbor if 4 years old and she just does the funniest things, tells him to stand still then throws a water balloon over the fence, she gives him presents under the fence, they are so cute together.
    I’ve run a bun
    ch of races in person since COVID and all that normally handed out medals still did, the finish line worker (I have been one) wears a mask and gloves and hands the medal (arm straight) out to the finisher. We haven’t had any issues.

@Scott6255 great job on your virtual Half

@martaindale super on the half and new PR!!! Awesome medals, you killed it. I watched on TV (they really need better commentators) and you could see lots of folks cheering. Running math is just a test to show we can’t add, subtract while running.

@quilteryoyo beautiful pictures of the snow, the pond looks like a painting. It’s been freezing cold here too but we didn’t get the snow, to the North, South, East and West did but we were lucky and we did not. However, it was 25F when I ran this morning, the upswing was no wind.

@shanaber Strange about the cop on the trail. I would have been dying to ask why he was there.

@eleanorhawkins glad your choice of clothes work out.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited January 2022
    Bike ride today, plan said 35 minutes and I did 41, but if you subtract slightly slower school drop-off, it was just about right. And I did my little weight machine routine. I'm logging food right now and trying to give my body more healthy foods and less sugary stuff.

@quilteryoyo I agree about not becoming a hood ornament. There are a number of roads I won't take when there's snow piled up. No sidewalk and nowhere to go but into a snow drift.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,428 Member
    Ugh, so sorry @quilteryoyo 😢 I'm sure we are all going to get some version of it multiple times before too long. Hope you and your Mom get though it quickly!