Help with a plateau

Options
Hello! I have been diet/lifestyle changing since February of 2021, I was around 280 when I started exercising and walking, my highest was 312 which getting my thyroid medication in check started the weight loss months before I decided to make the lifestyle change. I have lost 123 lbs!!!

Here it is 2022! Now I've made it to 189, and since around Christmas/end of December, I've lost nothing, I gain up to 199, down to 187, back to 188, been doing this game this whole month and its really making me feel behind.

I haven't changed my diet, im still eating at 1.5 lbs a week with 1.3k calories, if anything I've added more fruit and more lean meats, im still walking on the treadmill and have been increasing speeds and length to get some more calories, I do eat back my exercise cals.i know im eating in a deficit so im not sure why the loss has just stopped. I have considered water weight and tried to drink some excess water to help but it didnt.

I keep wondering what to do to put my body back in motion, id really really like to be around 170 or under that, so another 20 lbs to go.

Maybe I should change my weekly loss to 1 lb a week? Itll give me more calories so I dont feel so hungry all the time.. and I've read it helps people start losing again. I just have that irrational fear that if I change it il gain again as I have been doing it the one way for a year.

Any advice would be appreciated. Trying to stay the course and hit my Final goal!!!

Replies

• sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far! That's awesome!

We all hit stalls and plateaus at some point, and it can really get to us emotionally. Take this time to look back on what you've accomplished and know that you're obviously doing something right!

My suggestion is to take a good look at your logging. Are you still weighing foods accurately and daily? Are you eating all of your exercise calories or just part? How's your water intake? Have you recalculated your calorie needs after a substantial loss?

Personally, I'm not a fan of eating MORE if what you've been doing has been working. If you're hungry, and your calories are set to an appropriate level, look at changing the types of food you eat and timing to see if those adjustments will help with your appetite. Good luck!

• Paradokx
    Paradokx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sbelletti wrote: »

We all hit stalls and plateaus at some point, and it can really get to us emotionally. Take this time to look back on what you've accomplished and know that you're obviously doing something right!

My suggestion is to take a good look at your logging. Are you still weighing foods accurately and daily? Are you eating all of your exercise calories or just part? How's your water intake? Have you recalculated your calorie needs after a substantial loss?

Personally, I'm not a fan of eating MORE if what you've been doing has been working. If you're hungry, and your calories are set to an appropriate level, look at changing the types of food you eat and timing to see if those adjustments will help with your appetite. Good luck!

Thank you so much!! I am still weighing everything everyday. Im eating all of my exercise calories back, usually its only 120 to 150 calories. I track my water threw bottles, 4 16.9 oz a day, it only totals to 67.6 oz maybe that isnt enough? And I recalculated the other day! :) Thank you so much for the advice!!
  • kdavis6178
    kdavis6178 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We have a similar store and I have also been stalled at 193 since the week before Christmas. I don’t know what to do it’s so frustrating!
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and fitness journey. Have you consulted with your doctor? I had to have my thyroid and prednisone increased after losing 85 pounds.
    When was the last time that you have taken a diet break and just eaten at maintenance? If weighing food in grams, logging all food and drink and no change in activity level then take a diet break for 2 weeks or longer and eat at your current maintenance level then resume your calorie restriction. This usually helps me. There is a long thread on diet breaks and refeeds that you may find interesting.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and fitness journey. Have you consulted with your doctor? I had to have my thyroid and prednisone increased after losing 85 pounds.
    When was the last time that you have taken a diet break and just eaten at maintenance? If weighing food in grams, logging all food and drink and no change in activity level then take a diet break for 2 weeks or longer and eat at your current maintenance level then resume your calorie restriction. This usually helps me. There is a long thread on diet breaks and refeeds that you may find interesting.

I believe this is that thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

If you read it, and it resonates, there's not much penalty in trying it for a couple weeks or a month. Maintenance practice can be good, in itself.
    Paradokx wrote: »

Thank you so much!! I am still weighing everything everyday. Im eating all of my exercise calories back, usually its only 120 to 150 calories. I track my water threw bottles, 4 16.9 oz a day, it only totals to 67.6 oz maybe that isnt enough? And I recalculated the other day! :) Thank you so much for the advice!!

Water is unlikely to be the problem unless drinking so little of it (and not getting compensatory fluid from foods or other beverages) that one becomes constipated, or underhydrated enough to cause fatigue.

If constipation happens, the backed-up digestive contents are going to have weight on the scale. For many people, 67 ounces would be enough to be reasonably hydrated: If your urine is pale yellow, not dark, you're probably fine. (If you're consuming more of certain water-soluble vitamins than you need, it may be bright (almost neon) yellow, which can be OK).

If underhydration causes fatigue, we're going to drag through our day, spend fewer calories doing daily life motion. That can drag fat loss levels lower than expected. It's not a very likely thing at 67 ounces unless you sweat lots, maybe don't eat many foods that have water content, or some variation on that theme.

I'd guess some variation on the water retention theme, if you're weighing all possible foods and using accurate database entries for everything.

• natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Why did you add fruits? You d better stop eating them at high amount. One fruit a day it s just enough. Any meat is ok, fat or lean no matter. Fruits are full of fructose, and fructose is first to convert in to fat. Remember how bears, cayotes, foxes (any animals before winter, turn to fruits of any kinds to make thru the winter). Fructose helps to accumulate fat. We are, the human, such an animals too. So eating fruits, berries is a good idea before nasty winter, if you expect have shortage of food. But if you come next morning and eat your regular breakfast, lunch and dinner, you d better cut on fruits.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    Options
    It is so "inspiring" to hear about dainty women who peck like little birds. The poor sparrows. Thank *kittens* only big male meanies get to eat like sumo wrestlers! Whew! Disaster averted! And don't forget you get to save on food costs too! :unamused:
  • LaurenMargott
    LaurenMargott Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Plateaus suck. They are so disheartening but WOW OP you have done an incredible job getting to where you are right now so don't let the plateau stop you! Unfortunately the less to lose the harder it is, I have come within 3 kgs of my goal weight more than a few times, it's so little yet so hard to get through. I hit a plateau myself about 2 weeks ago after losing 4kg quick smart.

Little things that help for me are
    1. Increasing my food intake, weird sounding but when I'm at those lower weights I know I have to accept a slower progress.
    2. Get a good night's sleep! Sleep is SOOO important, people always forget this. There's a reason why shift workers statistically weigh more than normal worker. So set yourself a bedtime and stick to it, prioritise your rest!
    3. Regular meals. I have never been a breakfast person, even when I was a kid. But I need regular meals to lose weight. They don't have to be big, just regular. Breakfast for me is a fibre supplement drink, water and some food to get me moving, occasionally I throw in a piece of toast or smoothie but I make sure to at least have the fibre drink to ensure I start the day right. I'm not saying take a supplement but don't skip meals (like I do ALLLLLLL the time 🙄).
    4. Weights. You don't have to go to the gym and free weight with the body builders but spicing up that workout routine helps. I do crunches, curls, pushups, squats, stairs, triceps etc at home. I don't need any special equipment and it helps.

We believe in you! I think it's really amazing how much you have lost already. Good luck and keep going!
  • petomai
    petomai Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 189 down to 186 up to 190 and repeat haha. All month. I'm doing everything the same. Weighing food, calculate, eat, water. Some exercise i never add to the app. Sometimes I over calculate the calories so if I'm eating 1 serving of 100 calories I'll say I ate 1.1 servings. Still stuck here but I won't give up. It could be a number of things, water retention, muscle gain, stress, lack of sleep so many things. I came here to complain with the same problem as Paradokx but actually I feel more inspired after reading all the replies. Thanks all.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    What @LaurenMargott says

Maybe instead of focusing on weight, consider some strength training and focus on measurements for a bit.

Not suggesting to throw the calorie counting to the wind, carry on, but weights have made a massive difference for my overall shape, and the few times I hit plateaus, I feel like strength training pushed me past.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • Paradokx
    Options

I dont see my endocrinologist until February. My labs are checked every 3 months and my tsh is still within normal limits. I have not taken a diet break but that sounds amazing, I've been feeling overwhelmed as my daily calories have dwindled the more I lose the less im able to eat. I'll look into that, thank you!!
  • Paradokx
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I believe this is that thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

If you read it, and it resonates, there's not much penalty in trying it for a couple weeks or a month. Maintenance practice can be good, in itself.
    Paradokx wrote: »

Water is unlikely to be the problem unless drinking so little of it (and not getting compensatory fluid from foods or other beverages) that one becomes constipated, or underhydrated enough to cause fatigue.

If constipation happens, the backed-up digestive contents are going to have weight on the scale. For many people, 67 ounces would be enough to be reasonably hydrated: If your urine is pale yellow, not dark, you're probably fine. (If you're consuming more of certain water-soluble vitamins than you need, it may be bright (almost neon) yellow, which can be OK).

If underhydration causes fatigue, we're going to drag through our day, spend fewer calories doing daily life motion. That can drag fat loss levels lower than expected. It's not a very likely thing at 67 ounces unless you sweat lots, maybe don't eat many foods that have water content, or some variation on that theme.

I'd guess some variation on the water retention theme, if you're weighing all possible foods and using accurate database entries for everything.

Thank you for the advice!! I'll keep plugging away!
    Patience. That's all you need.

I hit so many plateaus during my weight loss and tried so many different ways to kick start it again. Nothing consistently helped, except being consistent and patient.

At the time I read an article which stated that a plateau is just your body readjusting to your new normal weight. I have no idea how scientifically sound that is, but it made sense to me.

So keep doing what you're doing and be patient. It will all start again.

Thank you! Sometimes its hard because it all came off quicker when there was more to lose! I definitely need to work on my patience! :)