32f waiting on a hip replacement and MFP is a lifesaver

Options
bad_w0lf
bad_w0lf Posts: 26 Member
edited January 2022 in Success Stories
I was in an accident 6 months ago that destroyed my hip. It was devastating to go from being able to run for hours on end to not being able to walk more than a few steps unassisted. I'm still waiting on a hip replacement.

I ran a 10 mile road race exactly a week before the accident and 5 miles the day before and had been training to complete a half marathon within the following month.

Obviously a sudden drop in your activity levels and the amount of calories you burn per day could be pretty catastrophic if you're trying to maintain your weight, but since I had been building better eating habits with the help of MyFitnessPal for months before the accident I wasn't scrambling to change my entire lifestyle in order to avoid losing all the progress I have been working towards.

I had been pretty nervous about weighing myself since I lost my mobility. But I was curious to see how well I was doing, and decided that even if I wasn't happy with what I saw on the scale, it would be expected. But the scale told me a number that surprised me- I have not gained weight in the 6 months I've been injured. I'm seriously so proud and out of all of my fitness PRs and health victories, this feels like one of my strongest accomplishments.

I just wanted to add a picture of me with my cane at the gym 💪🏽
4almtmsfw8aj.jpg
It was kind of hard to be out in public with a cane while looking so relatively young and healthy, but I've learned to rock it for now

Anyone looking for moral support with similar issue please add me! I have been really looking to connect with and compare tips with other people who are super fit but had a sudden loss of your ability to work out/stay active. I'm guessing if I can find them anywhere, it could be on this app :)

Replies

• bad_w0lf
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    wanted you to know there's another limpy 30-something out there waiting along with you.

If I'm ever in a relay race, I'm picking you for my team!

You say you're not an athlete- but from someone who has seen both sides, the mental strength you have from pushing through adversity is unmatched in the physical world 💞
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    bad_w0lf wrote: »
    Xellercin wrote: »
    wanted you to know there's another limpy 30-something out there waiting along with you.

If I'm ever in a relay race, I'm picking you for my team!

You say you're not an athlete- but from someone who has seen both sides, the mental strength you have from pushing through adversity is unmatched in the physical world 💞

Ah, thanks. I put a lot of work into a lot of therapy to get through everything I've been through, and as a result, yep, I am really happy with my life. Everyone has challenges. I would actually rather my challenges be physical compared to some of the things I see other people going through.
  • mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful and strong. You will overcome this one step at a time. Best wishes!
  • bad_w0lf
    Options
    mirianyusm wrote: »
    You are beautiful and strong. You will overcome this one step at a time. Best wishes!

Thank you so much for the kind words 🥰 they really made my morning.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good on you Wolf. Stay focused. Stay positive. Stay active.

I started to lose hip mobility in my early 40's with osteoarthritis and overuse injuries. I managed the whole thing as poorly as I could have. It took years to get surgery and years after that to get pain free mobility back.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I am a 44 year old guy, and due to osteoarthritis I am getting a hip replacement on March 25th! 3 years ago - I was running 5 miles every day after work. Now I can barely get in and out of my jeep :-) Would love to connect and share ideas on how to stay active and deal with a bad hip! I cannot 'friend request' anyone since MFP was updated though but feel free to send me an invite!

• jennilynn624
    jennilynn624 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 36 and waiting on hip replacement as well. Double hip replacement due to premature arthritis in both sides. I was running 3 miles a day and walking another 6+ before my hips starting causing me trouble. I'm trying some alternatives before we go ahead with surgery (I'm high risk due to blood clots), but my research has been pretty positive.

My doctor recommended swimming, running in the lazy river, doing low impact exercises. I'm very much looking forward to getting back to my normal active life and rediscovering hiking, jogging, and nature pain free. I'm hiking coast to coast across Scotland for my 40th birthday!
  • ciaoder
    Options
    Would love to connect and share ideas on how to stay active and deal with a bad hip!

I'd hesitate to recommend anything specific, but I sure wish I had consulted my PT pre-op to prepare. Even paying out of pocket it would be money well spent 5 weeks out.

• bad_w0lf
    Options
    So I managed to get in to PT for a few sessions after the accident and I've been doing what he taught me ever since. I've definitely gotten my strength back up, but as you all who have commented know, that means nothing when the joint itself is busted 😵

I know everyone's case is different but I've managed to keep a lot of my fitness up by doing light work on the stationary bike and my PT leg lifts- there was a surprising amount I was able to do that apparently don't put any more damage on your hip? I do hope it has some positive impact on the surgery recovery time.
  • aqua14lisa
    aqua14lisa Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @bionicrooster and @bad_w0lf
    DH found after the hip replacement, doing the recommended exercises daily and using an exercise bike, initially without resistance, to be helpful. After 6 weeks of using the walker was able to graduate to the cane. May I suggest keeping a detailed written log of meds taken and the time to be helpful. Our Alexa reminds him numerous times each day to take meds. If you have someone to take photos of your 'wound' each day, that's a good way to check for seepage or infection, even when bandaged, and as it heals after bandage is removed. Good luck and stay as active as you can before and after!
  • ciaoder
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Is anterior approach replacement standard now? There's supposed to be less discomfort.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that you have to go through this. Without going into detail, just a few years ago I found out that I needed hip replacement surgery. I put it off for longer than I should have but once I had it it was a game changer for me. I will still need to do the other side but it's nowhere as bad as the side that I have done. Having strong supporting muscles around the hip helped me with a speedy recovery. I was back to doing body weight exercises in a relatively short period of time. Then weights not to long after that as well as running and playing soccer.
    Just remember to go at your own pace and not push it too hard to fast.
    I wish you the best with your situation.
  • bad_w0lf
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    I was back to doing body weight exercises in a relatively short period of time. Then weights not to long after that as well as running and playing soccer.

Hearing this kind of stuff makes me feel so much better. I'm so glad to hear you recovered well on that side! It's also reassuring that you feel it went so well that it will help the other side. Thank you so much for telling your story!

• bad_w0lf
    Options
    aqua14lisa wrote: »
    @bionicrooster and @bad_w0lf
    DH found after the hip replacement, doing the recommended exercises daily and using an exercise bike, initially without resistance, to be helpful. After 6 weeks of using the walker was able to graduate to the cane. May I suggest keeping a detailed written log of meds taken and the time to be helpful. Our Alexa reminds him numerous times each day to take meds. If you have someone to take photos of your 'wound' each day, that's a good way to check for seepage or infection, even when bandaged, and as it heals after bandage is removed. Good luck and stay as active as you can before and after!

This is all super helpful advice that I didn't even consider. I wanted to quote reply this again just to make sure it doesn't get missed by anyone else who might need to see this! Thank you so much.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    bad_w0lf wrote: »
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    I was back to doing body weight exercises in a relatively short period of time. Then weights not to long after that as well as running and playing soccer.

Hearing this kind of stuff makes me feel so much better. I'm so glad to hear you recovered well on that side! It's also reassuring that you feel it went so well that it will help the other side. Thank you so much for telling your story!

You are welcome.
    I also found using an old Gazelle that I had has been extremely good for me. No stress on the joints but still works cardio, endurance and has helped maintain my muscles mass (what little I have.)
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Would love to connect and share ideas on how to stay active and deal with a bad hip!

I'd hesitate to recommend anything specific, but I sure wish I had consulted my PT pre-op to prepare. Even paying out of pocket it would be money well spent 5 weeks out.

This is HUGE. I've been doing boat loads of surgery prep physio. I also did a ton of crutches physio before getting my walking aides to strengthen my wrists for them, since I'm stuck with them for the next 3ish years.

My insurance only pays less than $300/yr in PT, so I'm always out of pocket close to $1000/yr and it's the best money I spend.
  • bad_w0lf
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I agree 10000% that PT is a huge help. I was lucky enough I got into it within a week of the accident and I seriously can't even imagine what the state of my body would be in after 6 months of this injury without learning how I can stay somewhat active and keep my muscles strong.

It really sucks that it's so expensive that it's out of reach to a lot of people. I feel like PT is necessary part of recovery for so many things and it should be more widely accessible :(
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Can you do deep water walking? I have an ankle injury and I can't run so I am back to lap swimming but supplement with deep water walking/skiing/running. I bought one of those belts so my feet are never touching the bottom of the pool (you need to be water at least 6 inches above your height). I burn more calories doing the belt work than I do when laps. Best wishes for a speedy recovery when you get your hip replacement. Please come back to let us know how you are doing!
  • tricia9634
    tricia9634 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I had a hip replacement when I was 42 because of undiagnosed hip dysplasia. Years of running and sports had caused complete deterioration of my cartilage and I was bone on bone. I was a division 1 athlete in college and after college I ran lots of races from 5K's to half marathons and marathons. I loved running and it was my passion and "therapy". My hip problems put an end to it--my last race was a half marathon when I was 40. I eventually had a hard time walking and had to use a cane, too. I got very depressed during that time. But it's been 9 years since then and my hip is doing great! I did have to find a new passion besides running (which for me is weights/HIIT). My advice is it does get better and to take care of your mental health. It's so hard to be young and needing a hip replacement.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!