32f waiting on a hip replacement and MFP is a lifesaver

Options
2»

Replies

• bad_w0lf
    bad_w0lf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can you do deep water walking? I have an ankle injury and I can't run so I am back to lap swimming but supplement with deep water walking/skiing/running. I bought one of those belts so my feet are never touching the bottom of the pool (you need to be water at least 6 inches above your height). I burn more calories doing the belt work than I do when laps. Best wishes for a speedy recovery when you get your hip replacement. Please come back to let us know how you are doing!

This is a great idea that I don't think I've ever actually heard of. Thank you for the advice. I'll definitely look into that kind of work out. Even if I can't do it until after the surgery I'm pretty intrigued!

Thank you so much on the well wishes too. They always help my spirits 😊
  • bad_w0lf
    edited January 2022
    Options
    tricia9634 wrote: »
    Hi there! I had a hip replacement when I was 42 because of undiagnosed hip dysplasia. Years of running and sports had caused complete deterioration of my cartilage and I was bone on bone. I was a division 1 athlete in college and after college I ran lots of races from 5K's to half marathons and marathons. I loved running and it was my passion and "therapy". My hip problems put an end to it--my last race was a half marathon when I was 40. I eventually had a hard time walking and had to use a cane, too. I got very depressed during that time. But it's been 9 years since then and my hip is doing great! I did have to find a new passion besides running (which for me is weights/HIIT). My advice is it does get better and to take care of your mental health. It's so hard to be young and needing a hip replacement.

I'm so happy to hear you found something that equates to running because I totally relate to it being a form of therapy. You're so right about needing to be extra focused on mental health and hearing success stories like yours helps me come to terms with the situation. Thank you so much.
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bad_w0lf wrote: »
    Can you do deep water walking? I have an ankle injury and I can't run so I am back to lap swimming but supplement with deep water walking/skiing/running. I bought one of those belts so my feet are never touching the bottom of the pool (you need to be water at least 6 inches above your height). I burn more calories doing the belt work than I do when laps. Best wishes for a speedy recovery when you get your hip replacement. Please come back to let us know how you are doing!

This is a great idea that I don't think I've ever actually heard of. Thank you for the advice. I'll definitely look into that kind of work out. Even if I can't do it until after the surgery I'm pretty intrigued!

Thank you so much on the well wishes too. They always help my spirits 😊

I hope this allowed here on MFP, but here is the link that got me started on aquajogging. https://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/aqua-jogging-for-runners/ Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    So I managed to get in to PT for a few sessions after the accident and I've been doing what he taught me ever since. I've definitely gotten my strength back up, but as you all who have commented know, that means nothing when the joint itself is busted 😵

I know everyone's case is different but I've managed to keep a lot of my fitness up by doing light work on the stationary bike and my PT leg lifts- there was a surprising amount I was able to do that apparently don't put any more damage on your hip? I do hope it has some positive impact on the surgery recovery time.

I'm not in the target audience for your post, but I hope you'll forgive me for chiming in. I wanted to share an anecdote that I'm hoping may be encouraging, even though the details are very different.

I'm an on-water rower, which I'm sure you know is a leg-intensive exercise, with lots of hip-hinging as well. One of my closest rowing buddies cracked a bone in her hip, and needed full hip replacement surgery. Literally 30 days to the day after surgery, she was back in a boat, rowing. (We did carry the boat for her for a while, out of an abundance of caution!)

At the time, she was 75 years old, had been weight lifting since age 39, and later running and eventually rowing for years, among other forms of exercise. I think her speedy and smooth recovery had everything to do with going into surgery with the level of fitness she had, and she thinks likewise. The fact that you're so much younger, on top of being very fit, can only be a plus.

Wishing you excellent outcomes!
  • bad_w0lf
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    So I managed to get in to PT for a few sessions after the accident and I've been doing what he taught me ever since. I've definitely gotten my strength back up, but as you all who have commented know, that means nothing when the joint itself is busted 😵

I know everyone's case is different but I've managed to keep a lot of my fitness up by doing light work on the stationary bike and my PT leg lifts- there was a surprising amount I was able to do that apparently don't put any more damage on your hip? I do hope it has some positive impact on the surgery recovery time.

I'm not in the target audience for your post, but I hope you'll forgive me for chiming in. I wanted to share an anecdote that I'm hoping may be encouraging, even though the details are very different.

I'm an on-water rower, which I'm sure you know is a leg-intensive exercise, with lots of hip-hinging as well. One of my closest rowing buddies cracked a bone in her hip, and needed full hip replacement surgery. Literally 30 days to the day after surgery, she was back in a boat, rowing. (We did carry the boat for her for a while, out of an abundance of caution!)

At the time, she was 75 years old, had been weight lifting since age 39, and later running and eventually rowing for years, among other forms of exercise. I think her speedy and smooth recovery had everything to do with going into surgery with the level of fitness she had, and she thinks likewise. The fact that you're so much younger, on top of being very fit, can only be a plus.

Wishing you excellent outcomes!

Omg no, please! Your post is more than welcome! It's always encouraging to hear more success stories. Your friend is now my inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing!!!! I needed some extra encouragement today, too. Perfect timing 💖
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!