Cheese Admiration and Celebration

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    @sandielewis2001: I'm taking notes! You're increasing the probability that I need to visit Sonoma in the future. I like wine, but I love cheese!
  • lmgoff232
    lmgoff232 Posts: 277 Member
    edited January 2022
    Stopped at the Rogue Creamery in Oregon when driving through a couple years ago. I had an amazing cheddar made with both cow and goat milk. Unfortunately it isn't available in their webstore at the moment, but found a description of it

Mt. Mazama: "the cheese is made from a combination of pasteurized cow's and goat's milk and it's typically left to age for a minimum of one year. Underneath its natural rind, the texture is dense, creamy, and crumbly, with tiny crystals dispersed throughout the body. The aromas are rich and pleasant, while the flavors are nutty, tangy, sweet, and acidic with hints of caramel."

Now I am going to have to go again, lol.
  • AnnPT77
    From our last trip to Bohemian Creamery:

xq92revxbglp.jpeg

That. That is the cheese thingie that I need for sanity and joy! Yumaramadingdong!!!!
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    smithker75 wrote: »
    I am very fortunate to have this selection in the small supermarket within walking distance from my house.

t78cd9xlk810.jpg
    8prstxhghcsf.jpg

I love all cheese!
    I'm particularly partial to a Tasmanian triple cream brie with quince paste on a wafer cracker. I also love dutch smoked cheeses.
    I find the best way to satisfy my cheese craving is to grate sharp, vintage cheddar super fine and sprinkle it on toast.

Actually, this is funny as smoked cheeses aren't really a thing in the Netherlands. You can get smoked cheese in Germany though (and I think in Poland).

This is something I learned when visiting the Netherlands a few years ago! It's a popular cheese here in Australia and is always referred to as Dutch. So strange ;)
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,817 Member
    "Cheese: A Love Story" has six episodes and I've watched it twice already. It was on the Canadian "Food Network" channel but I'm sure there are other ways to watch it. A Maître Fromager takes you on a journey around the world sampling cheeses. Exciting stuff for people like us :)

I don't have a favourite cheese, though I once had a smoked applewood cheddar with caramelized onions that I still think about years later LOL And I love a grilled cheese sandwich made with smoked Mazuda and rye bread.

Our family Christmas Eve tradition is appies and a raclette. Raclette cheese was difficult to find this past Christmas and the deli that I usually buy it from hadn't been able to get any for a year! I managed to find a small amount elsewhere and topped it up with some Emmentaller. It did not melt the same but was okay in a pinch.

I'd have to say that raclette or a cheese fondue are my favourite ways of eating cheese, but that's because it's also a social evening spent with friends and/or family.
  • AnnPT77
    Reading posts on this thread, I realized - somewhat to my surprise! - that while I absolutely love a good cheese (per my personal definition of "good" 😉) - it's a thing I actually am able to moderate. (Personality-wise, this is a near miracle, honestly.) For some reason, I can buy an 8-oz round of good brie, cut an eighth of it, savor it, and stop there. That's not like me! 😆

Please, keep commenting, keep posting pics and descriptions of all the lovely and delicious cheeses available where you are (or wonderful cheese memories of times past!).

Thank you - I'm loving this, learning lots, adding goals to my "cheese life list".
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Favorite cheddar- Washington state University Cougar Gold

Stilton- it’s wonderful on so many things… pears with port, pasta with venison sausage, on a filet mignon It practically makes its own sauce, celery with walnuts…

I do really like crackers, but I dont eat them with cheese. I have cheese with dried apricots or figs and nuts. Or apple slices. Or quince with manchego.

This thread is making me hungry.
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 116 Member
    Cheese is the one thing that prevents me from being Vegan as opposed to Vegetarian.

Me too! Or at least plant-based (can't be bothered worrying about minutiae which I probably don't know about which would mean I'm not vegan anyway).

Vegan cheese is just dire and often contains coconut oil which I can't tolerate.

My favourite cheese is a local one, made by "over the moon" here in NZ. It was an accidental light blue... something happened that didn't work but the cheese is soft, spreadable if you want, sweet and so flavoursome with very little blue. They sell it at our farmer's market and it is divine.
  • AnnPT77
    Cheese is the one thing that prevents me from being Vegan as opposed to Vegetarian.

Me too! Or at least plant-based (can't be bothered worrying about minutiae which I probably don't know about which would mean I'm not vegan anyway).

Vegan cheese is just dire and often contains coconut oil which I can't tolerate.

My favourite cheese is a local one, made by "over the moon" here in NZ. It was an accidental light blue... something happened that didn't work but the cheese is soft, spreadable if you want, sweet and so flavoursome with very little blue. They sell it at our farmer's market and it is divine.

That sounds wonderful, but I don't think they'll let me into NZ right now to get some. 😉 I'll have to put that on my "cheese goals" list, too.

Me, I have nothing useful to add, except that it turned out that cubed-up queso fresco was oddly tasty with broccoli, black vinegar and tamari - sort of a cross-cultural quick vegetarian dinner experiment. I think it (queso fresco) might be good marinated in various things, too.

Speaking of vegetarian (one of which I've been for 47+ years) my understanding of the terminology is that "plant based" describes eating patterns, and overs a wide range, with the universal factor that most of the diet is plant-sourced. May or may not include meat, fish, eggs, dairy, other animal products in small amounts.

Vegetarianism you apparently are familiar with, and are, I think? You probably know it comes in sub-types, like ovo-, lacto-, ovo-lacto, and strict, depending on whether the person eats eggs, dairy or no animal sourced foods at all.

Vegan , IMU, goes beyond eating patterns to be a moral/ethical whole-lifestyle perspective that avoids any foods or other products that exploit animals either directly, or in their processing. Animal foods not eaten, animal products not worn (like leather) or used in other ways to the extent possible, foods processed with animal products that aren't in the finished food are not eaten (like many refined sugars, some beers, etc.), honey may not be eaten, etc.
  • ridiculous59
    Tillamook. Yum! We did a trip down the Oregon coast a few years ago and that was definitely a highlight. Actually it was the Tillamook ice cream that caught my fancy the most. I tried to bring some home in our RV freezer but ended up eating it before we even got to the border LOL
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,091 Member
    I'm currently on holiday in France (Jura region) and yesterday we went to a restaurant for a typical regional dish: cheese fondue! It's been years, and last time was a Swiss (or maybe Savoyard) version of it.

Jura version: three types of Comté cheese (young, semi aged and aged) melted and mixed with white wine and some Marc égrappé (a type of eau-de-vie). Not my picture, but to illustrate 😉
    d1dotjmc03bp.jpg
  • ridiculous59
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm currently on holiday in France (Jura region) and yesterday we went to a restaurant for a typical regional dish: cheese fondue! It's been years, and last time was a Swiss (or maybe Savoyard) version of it.

Jura version: three types of Comté cheese (young, semi aged and aged) melted and mixed with white wine and some Marc égrappé (a type of eau-de-vie). Not my picture, but to illustrate 😉
    d1dotjmc03bp.jpg

Oh. My. I am salivating as I type this. We lived in Germany for 4.5 years and spent many, many weekends camping or skiing in Switzerland. I use Emmentaler, Gruyere, white wine, a bit of Kirschwasser (would that be considered an eau-de-vie?) and a rub around the dish with a clove of garlic when making my fondues. I'd love to find some Comte and try that instead for a change.

Most people drink white wine with their cheese fondues. Me included. However we were once enjoying one in Switzerland (I think we were in Verbier) where the server told us that to really get the full flavour of the cheese, we should be drinking a hot beverage with it. I wonder if it was a regional thing, or just a personal preference. Has anyone else ever heard that recommendation before?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,321 Member
    @ridiculous59 yes I think a hot drink was suggested in Brussels when we had the most amazing fondue too. I have a feeling it was still alcoholic and maybe a bit sweet to counteract the saltiness of the cheese 🤔 I also adore Comte, and I’m intrigued by the Parmesan with balsamic - as a cheese fan, I may be outing myself but I usually only have Parmesan with cooked stuff (ie in a sauce). What have I been missing all these years?! 😮
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 116 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That sounds wonderful, but I don't think they'll let me into NZ right now to get some. 😉 I'll have to put that on my "cheese goals" list, too.

Me, I have nothing useful to add, except that it turned out that cubed-up queso fresco was oddly tasty with broccoli, black vinegar and tamari - sort of a cross-cultural quick vegetarian dinner experiment. I think it (queso fresco) might be good marinated in various things, too.

Speaking of vegetarian (one of which I've been for 47+ years) my understanding of the terminology is that "plant based" describes eating patterns, and overs a wide range, with the universal factor that most of the diet is plant-sourced. May or may not include meat, fish, eggs, dairy, other animal products in small amounts.

Vegetarianism you apparently are familiar with, and are, I think? You probably know it comes in sub-types, like ovo-, lacto-, ovo-lacto, and strict, depending on whether the person eats eggs, dairy or no animal sourced foods at all.

Vegan , IMU, goes beyond eating patterns to be a moral/ethical whole-lifestyle perspective that avoids any foods or other products that exploit animals either directly, or in their processing. Animal foods not eaten, animal products not worn (like leather) or used in other ways to the extent possible, foods processed with animal products that aren't in the finished food are not eaten (like many refined sugars, some beers, etc.), honey may not be eaten, etc.

And this is the minutiae I struggle with. Happy to avoid the obvious, like honey, but the additives and colourings to look out for, plus things in shampoo, face creams etc means I could never call myself vegan.

I don't really give myself a label. I guess I'm a vegetarian, I do eat eggs and cheese. Occasionally I'll eat fish (if I've caught it) and we always have salmon on Xmas Day.

But cheese really, really is my downfall!
    We have a great shop here that sells amazing cheese and I'll sometimes go in and try something new. Found a washed rind cheese that my goodness was so smelly but she promised me it tasted good. Had it with some homemade crackers, and really enjoyed it. Wouldn't get it again unless I was sure it would be eaten at one go, because the leftovers stank out my fridge!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    This thread is amazing! A few years back, I was asked what my favorite food was and was truly stumped (I like all foods, excluding black licorice, which (I believe) goes without saying, but I digress). After much thought, I realized that cheese is my favorite food. I had no clue as to all the cheeses (and pairing with other foods) that I didn’t know about. Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions; I need to go on a serious cheese hunt!