Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Let's see, no green onions. Bottled juices were almost empty. Cat food, good luck. half and half stock up if I can find. Cracker isle, half gone. Pasta, one brand was stripped and others picked over. The rice I like was "out of stock". Mexican across from it was strangely empty, but nothing i needed today. Dairy picked over, or what was there was past sell by date, which I chose to buy since it was what I want and am comfortable with the risk. I skipped the ice cream isle, and if you know me, you know why. I did try and find frozen corn for tomorrow's dinner, and there was hardly a bag of any type of frozen vegetable. I eventually found a premium price bag of corn tucked way in the back.

@cwolfman13 Where are you located that you have it so good? I am north of boston at the moment.

While I did see those types of shortages spring 2020, there's nothing like that in my part of south of Boston these days!

I was at Market Basket earlier this week and was only unable to get the exact brand/type of two things on my list. They didn't have fat free Cabot cottage cheese, but they did have full fat. They didn't have Annie's crescent rolls, but they did have Pillsbury.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Let's see, no green onions. Bottled juices were almost empty. Cat food, good luck. half and half stock up if I can find. Cracker isle, half gone. Pasta, one brand was stripped and others picked over. The rice I like was "out of stock". Mexican across from it was strangely empty, but nothing i needed today. Dairy picked over, or what was there was past sell by date, which I chose to buy since it was what I want and am comfortable with the risk. I skipped the ice cream isle, and if you know me, you know why. I did try and find frozen corn for tomorrow's dinner, and there was hardly a bag of any type of frozen vegetable. I eventually found a premium price bag of corn tucked way in the back.

@cwolfman13 Where are you located that you have it so good? I am north of boston at the moment.

I live in the ABQ metro area of NM just outside of Albuquerque. My township doesn't have any grocery stores, just a small mini mart type of place that actually stocks quite a few staples and some decent produce in season.

We do all of our grocery shopping in Albuquerque...we're only about 10 minutes out of the city limits. 90% of our grocery shopping is at Costco. About 10% at Albertson's which is the closest grocery store...mostly for produce and other things we don't want in Costco type of bulk.

Everything is pretty well stocked...occasionally I'll walk by and the bean or soup shelfs will be pretty sparse or something like that and some odd processed stuff like I mentioned with the Lunchables for the kids...but it's pretty much been the exact thing since about last spring which I figure is just part of the ongoing supply chain issue...but we can still get pretty much everything. If it's not on the shelf one day, it usually is the next or in a day or two.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited January 2022
    Where I live the grocery shelves are frequently bare these days. I've had to skip chicken for dinner because there was none, also pork chops, canned tomatoes, and ice cream. Fresh fruit and vegetables are usually okay, but meat is an issue.
    Where I live the grocery shelves are frequently bare these days. I've had to skip chicken for dinner because there was none, also pork chops, canned tomatoes, and ice cream. Fresh fruit and vegetables are usually okay, but meat is an issue.

No chicken breast, no ground beef, no bottled water, no lunchmeat, veggies in short supply, fruit juices, yogurt, Gatorade, paper products to name a few.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Does anyone think that some of these shortages at grocery stores may be from employees out because of Covid? No one to stock shelves? There hasn’t been any noticeable shortages here. I grocery shopped yesterday, and the shelves were all full. I grocery shop, and wild bird seed shop (separate stores)once per week. That’s pretty much the only place we go. Cloth masks, vaxxed and boosted. I did order the tests a week ago to have on hand. Should receive them soon. It’s a bit concerning to me that many are not masking up anymore. I know they are saying cloth masks aren’t helping a lot, but isn’t something better than nothing?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    While some of my often-bought products are missing from local shelves, it's easy enough to replace the items with other products, usually paying a bit more, or trying a different store. I guess we're pretty lucky that our shelves aren't as bare as some of you have mentioned. Wow :(
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    x4sd0r4wva96.png

^ this is what I am describing when I mention an empty section. This happens to be a cat food section.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Last weekend there was no plain cream cheese to be found in the grocery store I went to, and not much of the flavored cream cheese. There were hardly of the in-store bakery bagels, either. So I went to the local bagel shop the next day and got my plain cream cheese there as well (I wanted to make a cheesecake).

For most things, I've been able to find a substitute, work-around, or different source, and so far, there hasn't been anything absolutely vital that I couldn't get. And I tend to have replacements for nonperishables on hand -- I don't wait until I run out of something to replace it.

Of course, I don't have any pets or small children with very specific needs, and I'm pretty flexible myself. I've been fortunate not to run out of anything I considered vital that I couldn't replace. Hmm, what do I consider vital? Toilet paper, contact lens solution, deodorant. Furnace air filters. Light bulbs. Batteries.
    I think I could live with a baking soda and hydrogen peroxide paste as a substitute for a while if I couldn't get toothpaste. It would require some adjustments to my diet if I couldn't get plain yogurt, but I would manage.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    x4sd0r4wva96.png

^ this is what I am describing when I mention an empty section. This happens to be a cat food section.

Last week the nearby Walmart Supercenter had 2 broken open cases of bottled water. That was it.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,241 Member
    It also seems to be store to store on where the problems are.

Kroger seems to be doing pretty well. I didn't notice much lacking but I was also only in there is grab a specific item.

Fresh Thyme is just fine for the time being. Maybe a little low on cream cheese but they still had it last week.

Aldi seems to be having some problems, but from talking to staff it is mostly not having the man power to get stock on the shelves. Some of their Aldi finds have been delayed but basics seem to be okay.

Meijer... Meijer is a mess. Whole sections wiped out, especially in the freezer section. Glad I stopped shopping there.

Trader Joe's is also having a few problems. From what I have been told, it is a mixture of shipping and staffing. Some stores have been limited in how much they can order due to lack of stock at the warehouses. Others just simply do not have enough staff to stock the shelves.

I am going to Whole Foods this weekend and Costco next weekend so will be interesting to see how they are holding up.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Of 4 grocery runs this month, my closest aldi had chicken once. 1 for 4 in the chicken department. They were out of can beans last week and a vegetable on my list (don’t remember which ) the week before. It’s not bare shelves but does require flexibility.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited January 2022
    Sounds like this BA.2 version of omicron has been around for a couple of months but was just less prominent: www.newscientist.com/article/2306416-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-fast-spreading-ba-2-omicron-variant/amp/