Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Height-ism?

Replies

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    We've all suffered slings and arrows at the hands of someone who didn't like some body feature or trait. Using dating apps to window shop can cause massive confusion. Window shoppers can be talking to 100 people at one time. It's like eating a dirt sandwich.

Women get passed over for the size of their bewbs, legs, face or age. Some old geezer wants a sweet young thing with the attributes of a perfect barbie doll. Ain't no thing but a chicken wing. Too many apps and too many options result in dating burnout. Wait for the one that can give you their full attention.

I hope it all works out but height has nothing to do with that. Trust and honesty will carry you much further down the road than any dating app ever could. I only know one extra special person that a dating app worked out for. <3 One.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Most people I know met their now spouse on a dating app, including me.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 195 Member
    Agree that heightism is ridiculous......Just the tip of the iceberg as far as ridiculous things you will see while on-line dating though.
  • HelPur25
    HelPur25 Posts: 23 Member
    So, I did online dating a while back. I once heard that women lie about their weight, men lie about their height and income, and everyone lies about how often they exercise. Don't know if that's true, but it seems like there may be some truth to that.

That said, I had specific criteria I looked for, but it was odd stuff. For example, I looked for a guy who doesn't have a cat (I'm allergic) and who plays golf. I also had a very narrow age range, and I preferred someone who wasn't of the same religion as my ex-husband.

After a lot of trial and error, and wasting a lot of time on crappy first dates, I met my current partner. We've been together for 8 years, and guess what... He used to have a cat (and had profile pictures with his cat) and desperately wants another one, he doesn't play golf, and he's outside of the age range I preferred. The only box he ticked on paper was the religion box. I couldn't be happier and can't imagine being with anyone else. So, we can have all the criteria in the world, but sometimes your "type" doesn't make you happy. Maybe dating the same type over and over again is the reason you're still single.

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, I'm 5'4" and he's 5'5", but he honestly thinks he's 5'7" and put that on his profile. :D
  • LaBellaHarris
    LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
    I mean, when you're dating IRL, you just mention those preferences on date two or three, and if it's a physical thing or something they can't control, people just make something up about being too busy to date or they'll ghost. So really, it just saves time and money to put that in a profile.

As for silly preferences, I'll go ahead and share some from my marriage (7 years strong, didn't meet online): I told my husband upfront there were some kinds of cars he could not ever own or rent if he wanted me to get in them with him (the Camaro and Jeep Wrangler of Abusive Boyfriends Past still made me uncomfortable at the time). He agreed on the condition that I don't wear animal print lingerie; his mom loves big cats and always wears leopard/tiger/cheetah print, and he doesn't want to be reminded of his mom in bed. Fair enough, sir!😂

A funny aside about heights: I'm 5'3" ish, so I judge how tall a man is by what is at eye level. If I'm looking at his chest or collarbone, he's 5'11" or taller. If he's taller than me but I actually get to look at his face, he's somewhere between 5'6" and 5'10". REALLY tall guys (over 6'8") put my eye level around their waist, and I imagine that's equally awkward all around. What are you gonna do when we want to talk, take a knee?? (my PSG in the Army would do this, and it was so embarrassing I'd have to walk away) How do you date a man that tall??? I'd have to carry a ladder to kiss you, or climb you like a tree! The logistics of that are too distracting lol
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Interesting data.
    4uh52ryb1q8j.jpg
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    That height filter data is insane especially if you consider that the average height for a woman is something like 5’5”. I am 5’9” and have dated guys 6’3 which was great in heels but a bit too tall in terms of arms and hands lining up to walk holding hands etc barefoot. Obviously not a criteria I cared about, but just wondering if those filters are setting outer limits rather than desired best heights.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    So a lot of women would date men that are 7 feet tall? Interesting.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    So a lot of women would date men that are 7 feet tall? Interesting.

Perhaps those are the same ones who also would date men under five feet tall.

Seems a slightly less than average height person like me isn't desired by more than maybe a tenth of women on that site. Oh well. If they knew I could cook....
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If I posted a profile, it would 100% have things in it that I think would be deal-breakers for a lot of silly or unsuited men (i.e., opinionated, argumentative, eccentric, poor housekeeper, sarcastic, likes being every minute of her (advanced) true age and looking it. . . .). I don't even want to have that ice-breaker mid-day coffee date with incompatible idiots. Ugh.

Everybody has their deal-breaker things. And that's okay, we can't expect to appeal to everyone. Lord only knows, I'm sure being a tall woman has put off many possible suitors in my past.

For example, although I'm a huge animal lover, I could never date a cat owner. I'm violently allergic to cats and I can't see a relationship going very far if I'm allergic to the dude, his clothes, his home. That's just a practical consideration.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    <snip>
    If I posted a profile, it would 100% have things in it that I think would be deal-breakers for a lot of silly or unsuited men (i.e., opinionated, argumentative, eccentric, poor housekeeper, sarcastic, likes being every minute of her (advanced) true age and looking it. . . .).
    I don't even want to have that ice-breaker mid-day coffee date with incompatible idiots. Ugh.

Sounds dreamy! My deal-breaker would be the commute of thousands of miles for that coffee....

I have contemplated online dating, but it still seems so weird. Fortunately I have a few friends, and I know a few folks who like to go on adventures on rivers.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I know the topic here is height, but let's not forget that men also select by age, the graph would look similar probably.

I am not convinced. The reality is that, in general, women are much more choosy than men on dating apps. There is a YouTuber who does data analysis about this exact topic. Overall, most women are swiping right on a very small percentage of men. OTOH men swip right at much higher rates. Having said that, there is a lot of variability amongst men... Some swipe right 40% and others nearly 90% of the time. Most all women are swiping right less than 10% of the time.
  • Mellouk89
    And there are more men than women on dating apps, I think only 30% of women are on dating apps according to a google search. And also based on real world experience.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I know the topic here is height, but let's not forget that men also select by age, the graph would look similar probably.

I am not convinced. The reality is that, in general, women are much more choosy than men on dating apps. There is a YouTuber who does data analysis about this exact topic. Overall, most women are swiping right on a very small percentage of men. OTOH men swip right at much higher rates. Having said that, there is a lot of variability amongst men... Some swipe right 40% and others nearly 90% of the time. Most all women are swiping right less than 10% of the time.

That's because the men are (generally) looking to get laid.

No one needs a youtuber to tell them that. 😀

And it's a numbers game. I don't think anyone would try to argue that all of these right-swiping guys are carefully selecting women that they're attracted to and with whom they feel they have potential compatibility based on a thorough reading of their profile. They're just casting a wider net with the intention of filtering the matches later.
  • Mellouk89
    ythannah wrote: »

They're just casting a wider net with the intention of filtering the matches later.

Yep, that was me on dating apps 🤣
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

And it's a numbers game. I don't think anyone would try to argue that all of these right-swiping guys are carefully selecting women that they're attracted to and with whom they feel they have potential compatibility based on a thorough reading of their profile. They're just casting a wider net with the intention of filtering the matches later.

I suspect a factor in some (many?) cases, when it comes to women's behavior, is just plain literal physical fear for their safety. Meeting strangers, dating strangers, can feel dangerous. Selectivity results. Disinclination to sign up to the apps results.

That doesn't explain height prejudices (kind of the opposite, maybe), but I think it probably has something to do with more men using the apps, and men right-swiping on more women. My sense is that it's not very common for men to feel physically fearful about strange women, but pretty common for women to have physical safety fears when it comes to strange men - disproportionate to statistical reality, maybe, even.