Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Height-ism?

167891012»

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Member Posts: 1,594 Member Member Posts: 1,594 Member
    At least around here, finding a guy taller than I am (and I'm 5'7") is not hard work. But the people who settled this area of the country were northern German/Polish people, and under the impetus of enough food, created big tall solid people. More quarterback than defensive line build. So I went through high school thinking that I was middle height for a woman. Maybe on the taller end of middle, but solidly middle. Of course, 5'7" was the second shortest woman in my family of origin. Our family average height was 6'2" for men and 5'11" for women.

I was surprised and amazed when the demographics of the area shifted due to immigration, and I went from being a middle-height woman to the tallest person there, not merely the tallest woman. Very unsettling. But I'm used to being taller than average now.
  • KickassAmazon76KickassAmazon76 Member Posts: 998 Member Member Posts: 998 Member
    At least around here, finding a guy taller than I am (and I'm 5'7") is not hard work. But the people who settled this area of the country were northern German/Polish people, and under the impetus of enough food, created big tall solid people. More quarterback than defensive line build. So I went through high school thinking that I was middle height for a woman. Maybe on the taller end of middle, but solidly middle. Of course, 5'7" was the second shortest woman in my family of origin. Our family average height was 6'2" for men and 5'11" for women.

I was surprised and amazed when the demographics of the area shifted due to immigration, and I went from being a middle-height woman to the tallest person there, not merely the tallest woman. Very unsettling. But I'm used to being taller than average now.

I'm 6'1". No matter where I go, I'm tall. I have a bit of Danish/Scandinavian roots... So that's probably why. My mom and sis are both the same height... My daughters are 13&15 and only inches away from 6'.

We grow em tall. 🤪🤣
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Member Posts: 6,180 Member Member Posts: 6,180 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    If it really bothers you: women are terrible at evaluating a dude's height IRL. Just saying... o:)

Someone should compare the distribution of male height on dating apps with that of the general male population.

That's because men are lying, not because woman are terrible at evaluating men's heights.

I've done a lot of online dating and think I only met two men who didn't lie about their heights, and one of the liars was 6'3" and lied about being 6'4"! (My ex was 6'4" and I knew what standing next to someone that height was like.)

OK Cupid did the comparison:

https://theblog.okcupid.com/the-big-lies-people-tell-in-online-dating-a9e3990d6ae2

Not sure I would really call someone 6 ft 3 who said they were 6 ft 4 a liar - maybe he just rounded it up to next inch

I know I am just over 5 ft 3 and half - I usually just say I am 5 ft 4 - didnt think that was dishonest.

seems in the realm of saying I went to bed at 10 pm when I really went to bed at 9:55.

With fractions you can round up or down, but 6'3" is 6'3", not 6'4".

meh, I'd call that mild exageration rather than lying.