Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    New shoes. I ran a real easy 2 miles and my feet feel great. Little to no pain!
    I have a 10k next Sunday and then 1/2 marathon is Oct 15th! I am going to try and get in 10 miles the week after the 10k.
    My question is should I try for 12 miles the week before or just go for it on 1/2 marathon day? My training got all screwed up because my foot got hurt. I am up to 8 miles before my foot got hurt. What you all think?

If you are doing 10 two weeks before your 1/2, I would only do 6-7 the week before. You should have some recovery period before your race, and if you throw in 12 the week before, you may not have much left for your race. Even worse, you may end up injured again and really blow the 1/2.. So, enjoy the break.
    Ok that sounds good. I am sure I will be pumped up on race day so adding 3 more miles shouldn't be really that bad.
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is the big day!! (or one of them anyway!) USAF Half Marathon, and it's going to be 50 and sunny!! Absolutely perfect!! My goal for this race is to have fun, help a friend, and finish with a smile on my face. Not worried about, nor do I care about my time!

Happy Friday friends!!

Good luck. I suppose your race is over by now, hope it went well.
  • curlytop89
    Options
    I am spoiled, the Y that I go to has built in TV's in the treadmill, during the week when I run before work, I watch some TV, sometimes I'll look up a movie and then go to watch/run. My longer runs are always outside tho.

I am thinking about downloading a book on itunes to listen to today for my 10 miler... has anyone done this before?

I have listened to an audio book before, not for me at all. I need more distraction than that and prefer music, but I do watch TV sometimes and sometimes do without, but I seem to go slower without music. I did have a friend that swore by audiobooks, so it might work for you.
  • kated930
    Options
    I am spoiled, the Y that I go to has built in TV's in the treadmill, during the week when I run before work, I watch some TV, sometimes I'll look up a movie and then go to watch/run. My longer runs are always outside tho.

I am thinking about downloading a book on itunes to listen to today for my 10 miler... has anyone done this before?

I have listened to an audio book before, not for me at all. I need more distraction than that and prefer music, but I do watch TV sometimes and sometimes do without, but I seem to go slower without music. I did have a friend that swore by audiobooks, so it might work for you.

Holy mackerel. The audiobook was definitely for me! Tina Fey bossypants for 10 miles was amazing. The only problem is that I probably looked like a little weird smiling and laughing while I was running... oh well, it made the 10 miles fly by :)

MA/ Boston people- what a GREAT day for a run :)
  • curlytop89
    Options
    I almost downloaded that one for a trip a month back. I will have to keep that in mind for my next trip.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

So I pretty much will avoid running outdoors only in the event of hurricane, blizzard, electrical or hail storm.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    10pm training run yesterday which was pretty good, although my knee was painful for the last few km in spite of me taping it up.
    Oh well, short runs during the week ,will see if it feels ok for 12pm next weekend.

I love audio books when I'm running, if you want one about running try Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Second half marathon down, and so freakin excited that I beat my first one by 6 minutes. I also feel AMAZING!!! And the best two parts of the race: Hearing Jason call to the boys that I'm coming, telling Alex I love him as I passed, and having him say "I love you, Mommy!!!" AND helping my friend beat her goal by 10 minutes! PRICELESS!

After my horrible first half marathon last year, my goal was to run in a warmer month, and with a friend. I did not care about my time, but my friend rocked it and we crushed my PR!

I had a friend fly in from CO and she qualified for Boston today!! I think I'm still on a high...and I finished the race 11 hours ago LOL

After the race my husband said everyone around me looked like they wanted to kill me when I started jumping up and down all excitedly when I saw them (about .15 from the finish)! For those interested, I ended up running 13.25 in 2:19:33 (official time 2:19:24).

Happy Running! I have the full in 6 weeks!
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome katapple!!!

Had a 5k this morning (it's actually on week 3 of the Hal Higdon Intermediate Half program) and I set a new PR... By almost 4 minutes!!!
    Previous PR was in 2005 at the age of 23... So here I am days away from turning 30 and in the best shape of my life. I am loving this!!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    That is awesome! :)

I ran 4 miles this morning and my foot is feeling great!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Just back from 4.5, and felt good! Could have gone further (and only was supposed to do 4 per my training day), but I'm trying to stick to the plan to avoid injury. In the past when I've done what I felt like I could do, so more than the training day called for, I've hurt myself. So a half mile over was all I wanted to do today. Will also do the elliptical and go for a ride. :)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    Second half marathon down, and so freakin excited that I beat my first one by 6 minutes. I also feel AMAZING!!! And the best two parts of the race: Hearing Jason call to the boys that I'm coming, telling Alex I love him as I passed, and having him say "I love you, Mommy!!!" AND helping my friend beat her goal by 10 minutes! PRICELESS!

After my horrible first half marathon last year, my goal was to run in a warmer month, and with a friend. I did not care about my time, but my friend rocked it and we crushed my PR!

I had a friend fly in from CO and she qualified for Boston today!! I think I'm still on a high...and I finished the race 11 hours ago LOL

After the race my husband said everyone around me looked like they wanted to kill me when I started jumping up and down all excitedly when I saw them (about .15 from the finish)! For those interested, I ended up running 13.25 in 2:19:33 (official time 2:19:24).

That's great Katapple! Congrats on your run and day yesterday! Amazing!!! This is what running is all about. I feel inspired! :smile:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    New shoes. I ran a real easy 2 miles and my feet feel great. Little to no pain!
    I have a 10k next Sunday and then 1/2 marathon is Oct 15th! I am going to try and get in 10 miles the week after the 10k.
    My question is should I try for 12 miles the week before or just go for it on 1/2 marathon day? My training got all screwed up because my foot got hurt. I am up to 8 miles before my foot got hurt. What you all think?

I'd stick with the 10 and not push it with an injured foot - or run 10 and walk 2. You certainly don't want to reinjur your foot this close to your race.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Great Job Katie! I love hearing stories about your kids being excited. Mine always are the first ones I call (I don't take them with me). It's a super example you're setting for them.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Katapple: Way to go!!!
    Congratulations, that's total awesomeness. can feel the buzz from here.

I ran 5km again this morning. My foot still isn't doing so great but on the bright side its not getting any worse. I am continuing to chop and change between forefoot and heal strike throughout the run although this time I was more on the ff which felt good.
    Making an appointment to see the physio this afternoon
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You all are going to rock your halfs!!
    Thats awesome katapple!!!

Had a 5k this morning (it's actually on week 3 of the Hal Higdon Intermediate Half program) and I set a new PR... By almost 4 minutes!!!
    Previous PR was in 2005 at the age of 23... So here I am days away from turning 30 and in the best shape of my life. I am loving this!!!

This is exactly how I felt back in May when I turned 30, and it only feels better on the other side! Happy early birthday! Congrats on crushing your PR!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options

That is awesome!! Great time and so inspiring! I cant wait til I am ready for my half!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me today. Feeling kinda lousy, hoping to knock it out of my system before I get full-blown sick. Today was supposed to be a rest day anyway. Though I suspect I'll still end up going to the barn and possibly doing the elliptical as well. Glutton for punishment :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Got my run in this morning, but with a little struggle........I went shopping this weekend :bigsmile: , and let me tell you how great it feels to be a smaller size!!!! To leave a dressing room and not be depressed because you didnt like they way the clothes fit! The funny thing is....all my clothes were smaller, but my shoe size went up 1/2 size! :grumble: I bought 3 pair of shoes and all 3 were 1/2 size bigger!

Could this be from running????