How do you get yourself into right mindset?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Take a front and side picture of yourself in your underwear. That motivated me. Oh.. and look at it every day. Kept me on track.

Minimalist bathing suit or equivalent if you might want to share it on MFP someday as a before and after . . . a bet I routinely suggest people plan to make, just to keep future options open. (There's a "no undies" rule.)

ETA: I have one in short shorts and a pretty minimalist midriff-baring tie top, not this li'l ol' lady's usual fashion look. 😆
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my whole 'maintenance' motivation is 'if my pants don't fit, it's a problem'. I LIKE the clothes I have now and do not in any way want to buy yet another full wardrobe as I did 3 times over loss. Much easier just to watch it and adjust.
  • positiveyou146
    positiveyou146 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    to get motivated, first you need to find what motivates you, everyone is different. Have many small goals, like stepping stones to help achieve bigger goals, When shopping HAVE a list and stick to that list, when at home, move any high sugar/fats foods, or donate them, and have a visual piece of clothing want to get back into, when the feeling of hunger approaches, drink water, because what we think is hunger is usually not, plan weekly meals that are tasty, filling and balanced, and find a hobby or activity that is fun to do, and creates a sense of achievement as well as physically moving - Motivation is simple if you find your "why", most important, followed by the "how", everything else is about focus and support.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    My motivation was being diagnosed as diabetic. Not as bad as having a heart attack, but also not recommended. I wish I'd known I was even close - getting a full blown diagnosis was a huge shock and a wake up call that I needed to lose weight and take a closer look at what I was snacking on every day. I was going to the gym a lot and wasn't putting weight on, but I also wasn't losing anything.

I got my blood sugar numbers under control, purely via diet, and my motivation is to keep things that way. Tablets and injections don't appeal. I also had to buy a complete new wardrobe (and gave my old clothes to charity) so the financial aspect of buying more clothes is another motivation.
  • jasontriwahyudi
    jasontriwahyudi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Association for sure - be with the right people who can support and cheer you on!
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My motivation is:
    1 not huffing up one flight of stairs.
    2 not looking like my beloved mother who was over weight since I can remember and not being told I have big bones like the other fat family members.
    3 wanting to look good for myself and my hubby.
    4 I plan to live a long happy retirement and being healthy is part of the aspect!
    5 having a normal BMI
    6 Wanting to go shopping for clothes
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    So much rests on the mindset, doesn't it? That makes it such a good Q, OP. Mindset can be a challenge. Some people have long term struggles with their bodies (disease or injury or what have you), but for me the struggle is mostly mindset.

As a 30+ year maintainer, I say my weight is a constant battle -- a battle I am winning! -- but a battle nonetheless. And the battle is more with my mind than anything else. Yesterday I wanted to quit after my first ST set, played with excuses like my needing a rest because of a weird scapula pain that showed up Saturday, but just taking it one lift at a time I finished 3 sets and felt pretty good about it. Scapula felt the same.

I think a couple things help with mindset.
    - Realize that mental energy is a limited resource and prioritize accordingly.
    (I.e. don't try too many difficult things at once.)
    - Make some things as easy mentally as possible.
    (E.g. IMHO it helps to have a lifting routine that is challenging enough to hold my interest on good days but easy enough that I know I can get through it on days that aren't my best.)
    - Don't blow all my mental energy on something unrealistic or too hard.
    - Do things that build/reinforce discipline and healthy habits. That carries me when my head isn't totally in the game, like yesterday's ST. It was habit/discipline that kelp me going. I just tried to think about the one next lift and nothing else.
    - Take a break (training rest week or diet maintenance week or just a break from tracking) when other things in life are a higher priority. Or for no reason. When I'm struggling with my mindset, sometimes a week off lets me come back to the routine with fresh energy.

The bottom line is maintenance takes some mental effort, but the effort it totally worth it.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am my only motivation. No one else can do any of this for me. I am 100% choosing the carrot over the cookie for ME. I don't look to anyone but myself for my motivation. I want what I want. I have been pretty independent my whole life.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for about 10 years, and have had lots of success losing and maintaining… but have certainly had some challenging ‘regaining’ periods as well!!!

When I’m in that delicate period - the first day or two of living a healthier lifestyle, I have noticed how easily I am swayed by my inner elf filling my head with the memory of the Belgian chocolates I’d been eating just a day or two earlier, and suggesting I go get some more… that I could just delay the start of my healthier lifestyle by another day or two, and all would be well! My inner angel might chime in with some doubts, but the more I yielded to the inner elf, the harder it was to say “No!”

Just as young children learn very quickly that if their parents eventually give in to their demands, then time spent badgering them is time well spent, I finally realized that my inner elf knew there was likely gonna be a payoff for its badgering. And therefore, if I drew a line in the sand and said, “I’m doing this, not THAT!”, and consistently maintained that stance, the badgering would stop. And that helped me enormously!

All the best! 🌸🌺😊