What's the deal with low carb diets?

e93marie
e93marie Posts: 12 Member
I don't understand why carbs would be "bad". Anything in excess is bad but I know some people that swear by carb cutting and low carb diets. A certain someone close to me keeps inquiring as to why I'm not cutting carbs instead of calories.

⚫ Is it healthier?

⚫ Is weight loss faster?

⚫ Does the body burn more calories when carbs are subtracted?

⚫ How is it better than regular calorie counting?

⚫ What do carbs have to do with fat?

Personally I feel I -need- carbs. A lot of the time when I'm low on energy or my body just wants something extra I turn to carbs. I feel like carbs react quickly, are more filling, and the energy lasts longer. Honestly before I started caring I relied on sugar very much and I feel like carbs replace that instant energy for me. I'm no expert though so, will someone please explain?
Tagged:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    edited March 2022
    :lol: LOL littlegreenparrot. Spot on.

And yeah to the other posters too. If I am set to a lowered amount of calories to lose weight I naturally have to drop sugary things and cut back on wheat products in order to get sufficient protein, fat, and fiber. There are plenty of carbs in fruit, vegetables, dairy, legumes, and I keep those. It does become moderate to "low" carb by default. Processed carbs like added sugar, sweetened processed cereals, crackers, chips, dessert items etc. are the least nutritious and easiest to drop.

When I was losing weight I usually hit 40-45% fat and around 100-125g carbs on 1500-1800 calories which for me was the only way to get sufficient nutrition.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Nothing wrong with carbs. But a lot of carbs in your typical grocery store that are easily accessible tend to be processed, and some people do not seem to understand how to discern between wholesome unprocessed carbs (steel cut oats, vegetables, etc) vs your typical white bread or cookies.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I wonder if selling diets such as Atkins started this whole 'carbs are poison' spiral?
    I worry more about the calories that's in everything, than carbs. Most days I end up with my MFP pie chart at 50% carbs. Even an onion has carbs. You have a couple pieces of fruit, some oatmeal, and your morning coffee with a tsp. of sugar and well..........
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    The questions about highly processed carbs are relevant when discussing glycemic index numbers or excess consumption of hyper palatable foods.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I wonder if selling diets such as Atkins started this whole 'carbs are poison' spiral?
    I worry more about the calories that's in everything, than carbs. Most days I end up with my MFP pie chart at 50% carbs. Even an onion has carbs. You have a couple pieces of fruit, some oatmeal, and your morning coffee with a tsp. of sugar and well..........

Atkins started the low carb trend back in the 80s or 90s (there were low carb trends before), but it wasn't especially a "sold" diet, although one could get the book -- but that didn't make it especially different than various other diets, including your "heart healthy" diet based on US gov advice.

I think the "carbs are poison" thing is, of course, idiotic, but I also think low carb is based in the fact that for a number of people -- not all -- cutting way down on all carbs but non-starchy veg often results in a more sating diet and in some cases a more sustainable or palatable diet since recall at the time it was probably a reaction to the super low fat diets. I eat plenty of carbs, but I tend to do better cutting cals when I keep my protein up, don't go low fat (since I miss the taste small amounts of fat add to lots of nutrient dense meals), and reduce portions of carbs (and if one eats lots of sweets or junk food -- both of which tend to be both carbs and fats, of course cutting back on those too).

I enjoy starchy carbs, but for me those alone tend not to be especially sating, and I never feel a lack if I cut back on portions or avoid eating multiple portions in one meal (bread with pasta or what not) or skip the starchy side in a meal or two, so that ends up resulting in me being somewhat low carb when cutting cals. I don't see any reason why anyone should have to eat that way, though, if they instead feel more deprived or hungrier doing the same thing.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2022
    ciaoder wrote: »
    The questions about highly processed carbs are relevant when discussing glycemic index numbers or excess consumption of hyper palatable foods.

Except typically it's odd these are called "carbs" when many or most have as many cals from fat.

OP seems to be referring specifically to starchy carbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    ciaoder wrote: »

I think only if one stands back pretty far, and squints.

Most GI numbers are for single foods, when most of us eat combinations of foods in a snack/meal, so the net GI will differ.

Personally, I find many foods that folks often call "hyper palatable" to be unpleasant and undesirable, haven't eaten very much of them for decades, but got overweight then obese anyway, because so-called whole foods are tasty and desirable to me. They're maybe more filling for people who are making a dietary shift from potentially less sating highly processed foods . . . but trust me, a person can adapt herself to eating too many calories of them, given enough time.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    azuki84 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with carbs. But a lot of carbs in your typical grocery store that are easily accessible tend to be processed, and some people do not seem to understand how to discern between wholesome unprocessed carbs (steel cut oats, vegetables, etc) vs your typical white bread or cookies.
    Carbs whether processed or not are absorbed by the body the same way. While nutritional value can differ, carb counts for processed foods aren't different because they are processed versus say steel cut oats. That's just misinformation that the "natural" crowd creates to get people thinking that they are eating "healthier".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah, once you're down to talking about just the macronutrient, maybe. While I haven't seen studies big enough or strict enough to be totally convincing, there are some hints from a tiny preliminary that "whole foods" (so called) may have a notably higher TEF than highly-processed ones.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2897733/

And no, that wouldn't ncessarily be reflected in the foods raw calorie counts, as calculated via normal methods for labels.

Personally, I think satiation and appetite are a bigger deal, in practice, though. Those tend to be individual, seems like.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,322 Member
    I’m a high carb girl 😀 I enjoy a wide range of foods and eat a lot of fruit and veggies (all carbs), and I eat sugar. I enjoy sweets, biscuits, cakes and I adore chocolate. But I also eat fairly high protein and have to ensure I get enough fat as I’d go overboard on carbs and eat low fat if I could. I exercise hard so even have a sports drink most weeks. Without carbs I definitely couldn’t undertake the volume of training I do.
    But some people find protein and fat more filling and are perfectly happy to train fasted. So - hit your protein and minimum fat levels, get your vitamins and minerals from a range of foods then eat whatever else you enjoy which keeps you within your calorie limits 😀 which for me is cake. Or chocolate. Or pastry. Or - actually - carrots.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I think only if one stands back pretty far, and squints.

Most GI numbers are for single foods, when most of us eat combinations of foods in a snack/meal, so the net GI will differ.

Personally, I find many foods that folks often call "hyper palatable" to be unpleasant and undesirable, haven't eaten very much of them for decades...

Your point is taken, Ann. Still, there's an entire part of our world that "Runs on Dunkin'"... frozen coffee drink (desserts) and Rockstar Energy and feeding their kids sugared up cereal bars in the morning and nothing but nuggets and fries for dinner. For everyone like you, that is put off by the thought of eating that way, there are two that exist on the junk. It's cheap and fast and profitable. It's not going anywhere, they're just going to make it "keto approved".