What's the deal with low carb diets?

Replies

• Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Carbs are bad if they make you insulin resistant. Insulin resistance is very bad.

If your relationship with insulin is working, you have no reason to avoid carbs. Talk to your doctor if you would like more information.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    People use the terms like "eating clean" and "no processed foods" to give their excess consumption virtue. Their overall health is unaffected by the choices and only the radical endpoints of food choices have any actual impact beyond excess body weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

e93marie wrote: »
    I don't understand why carbs would be "bad". Anything in excess is bad but I know some people that swear by carb cutting and low carb diets. A certain someone close to me keeps inquiring as to why I'm not cutting carbs instead of calories.

⚫ Is it healthier?

⚫ Is weight loss faster?

⚫ Does the body burn more calories when carbs are subtracted?

⚫ How is it better than regular calorie counting?

⚫ What do carbs have to do with fat?

Personally I feel I -need- carbs. A lot of the time when I'm low on energy or my body just wants something extra I turn to carbs. I feel like carbs react quickly, are more filling, and the energy lasts longer. Honestly before I started caring I relied on sugar very much and I feel like carbs replace that instant energy for me. I'm no expert though so, will someone please explain?

- Is it healthier? You can have a healthy or unhealthy diet on either low carb or high carb or moderate carb. There are many sources of carbohydrates that are nutritional powerhouses and others with not much nutrition at all. Things like potatoes and other root vegetables, oats and other whole grains, legumes, lentils, vegetables, fruit, other grains and seeds, etc pack a lot of nutrition...a Jolly Rancher, not so much.

- Is weight loss faster? Only in the sense that when you drop carbs, you drop a lot of water weight early on as each gram of carbohydrate carries roughly 4 grams of water...but that has jack crap to do with fat, and in reality, carbohydrates are rarely converted to fat by the body as it is an inefficient and difficult process.

- Does the body burn more calories when carbs are subtracted? Of course not...carbs have nothing to do with your metabolism and how many calories you expend doing stuff.

- How is it better than regular calorie counting? It's not...cutting carbs is for many an easy way to cut calories out of the diet. When I diet I tend to reduce carbohydrates because they are the easiest calories to cut...ie instead of my steak with roasted broccoli and roasted potatoes, I'd just have my steak with extra roasted broccoli...by cutting out the roasted potatoes I've cut out a significant number of calories from that particular meal. Nothing more magical than that.

- What do carbs have to do with fat? Nothing. As I mentioned earlier, carbohydrates are rarely converted to body fat. Carbohydrates are ready to burn energy. There is a reason endurance athletes carry around gu and dried fruits and hard candies when they're training and racing. Carbohydrates are the only source of dietary fiber (cuz fiber is a carbohydrate) and provides the overwhelming majority of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants that the human body needs to be healthy.

• xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    My opinion: the low-carb thing has been waaaayyy oversold. Obviously, you should avoid sugar, sweets, white flour and other white carbs with basically no nutrition (rice, potatoes pasta). Not only do these things give you a bunch of calories with minimal nutrition, they also get digested quickly, giving you a sugar spike and then a low and leave you feeling hungry. Also, simple carbs are not good from a diabetes perspective. They tend to promote insulin spikes, insulin resistance, and more likelyhood of diabetes in the long-run. Though unless you are already diabetic or pre-diabetic, that is more of a concern with the standard American diet than with your weight loss diet. Any diet that is semi-healthy and helping you to loose weight is also likely to lower your diabetes risk. But all that mostly pertains to the simple carbs. When carbs are complex, and combined with fiber, protein, and vitamins, they can be a very healthy part of a good diet; especially if you want to lean toward plant-based, whole-food, and/or Mediterranean. Beans, whole grains, legumes, pseudo-grains (quinoa, amaranth), nuts, all have carbs and can be a very healthy part of a weight loss diet. Minimally processed whole grains, legumes, etc have a fairly low glycemic index (i.e. don't produce sugar or insulin spikes), and should not be a problem unless you are seriously diabetic). If you are doing significant athletic activity, carbs are the most natural energy source for you muscles. Ultra low-carb (i.e. keto) can detract from your athletic performance or progress.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Today for me. I'm off to bed in a moment.

7wstpglb37f5.png
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    I apologize. I just don't imagine that people are eating as healthy as many of you suppose and so my baseline understanding of average American diet is probably off.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    edited March 2022
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    xrj22 wrote: »
    My opinion: the low-carb thing has been waaaayyy oversold. Obviously, you should avoid sugar, sweets, white flour and other white carbs with basically no nutrition (rice, potatoes pasta). Not only do these things give you a bunch of calories with minimal nutrition, they also get digested quickly, giving you a sugar spike and then a low and leave you feeling hungry. Also, simple carbs are not good from a diabetes perspective. They tend to promote insulin spikes, insulin resistance, and more likelyhood of diabetes in the long-run. Though unless you are already diabetic or pre-diabetic, that is more of a concern with the standard American diet than with your weight loss diet. Any diet that is semi-healthy and helping you to loose weight is also likely to lower your diabetes risk. But all that mostly pertains to the simple carbs. When carbs are complex, and combined with fiber, protein, and vitamins, they can be a very healthy part of a good diet; especially if you want to lean toward plant-based, whole-food, and/or Mediterranean. Beans, whole grains, legumes, pseudo-grains (quinoa, amaranth), nuts, all have carbs and can be a very healthy part of a weight loss diet. Minimally processed whole grains, legumes, etc have a fairly low glycemic index (i.e. don't produce sugar or insulin spikes), and should not be a problem unless you are seriously diabetic). If you are doing significant athletic activity, carbs are the most natural energy source for you muscles. Ultra low-carb (i.e. keto) can detract from your athletic performance or progress.

You should go look at the nutritional profile of a potato. It's actually packed with nutrition and about as close as you can get to one food being a complete food. In particular they are high in vitamin C and an exceptional source of potassium (way more than a banana). They are also a very good source of iron and a decent source of vegetarian protein and a good source of dietary fiber. They are also a whole food.

That's so funny because you don't think of potato chips as being nutritionally sound or anything but I was checking out the nutrition label (I tend to only look at calories/sodium/protein if it's generally a proteinish food) on a bag and saw how high the potassium was and was "whoa!" Then I realized...."oh yeah, potatoes". :)
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 65 Member
    I have acid reflux from time to time. When it flares up, I have to take Tums roughly once an hour, I feel bloated all the time, and sleeping becomes uncomfortable.

The only thing that has quelled these symptoms is low carb diet. I go low carb for 3-4 weeks, and gradually reintroduce fruits and some sweets (I have a sweet tooth), and the reflux just goes away like magic.

Generally I avoid bread all the time now, because it seems to be the chief instigator. I mean, a little bread now and then seems to be okay, but sadly I just can't go back to eating a bagel every day and so forth.

Your mileage may vary, but that's what I've found. By the way, low carb has also been great for losing weight. Right now, I'm on a myfitnesspal calorie limited diet, not low carb, but I still try to limit grain and starch carbs as much as possible.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    From: Manabe Y, Matsumura S, Fushiki T. Preference for High-Fat Food in Animals. In: Montmayeur JP, le Coutre J, editors. Fat Detection: Taste, Texture, and Post Ingestive Effects. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press/Taylor & Francis; 2010. Chapter 10.

Full chapter at this link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53543/
    The phenomenon of animals preferring high-fat foods has been accepted as natural behavior. Animals are equipped with fat not only for energy storage, but also for regulation of body temperature and as a source of many hormones. It is reasonable that animals eat and store fat based on physiological demands. On the other hand, eating an excessive amount of fat causes many metabolic diseases such as type II diabetes, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease. Reflecting the current health situation in industrialized nations, fat studies are focused on why we overeat high-fat foods and how we can cope with accumulating body fat.

Reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, article on a small study, in humans, using measurements in a whole-room calorimeter, title "Fat and carbohydrate overfeeding in humans: different effects on energy storage"

Abstract here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7598063/
    Carbohydrate overfeeding produced progressive increases in carbohydrate oxidation and total energy expenditure resulting in 75-85% of excess energy being stored. Alternatively, fat overfeeding had minimal effects on fat oxidation and total energy expenditure, leading to storage of 90-95% of excess energy. Excess dietary fat leads to greater fat accumulation than does excess dietary carbohydrate, and the difference was greatest early in the overfeeding period.

There are others.

By the way, Cleveland Clinic is not a "pop science" source. It's a a major US academic medical center, involved in teaching and research, regarded as one of the top handful of such institutions in the world.

Does eating fat make people (or other animals) fat? Per se, no. Does eating carbohydrates make people (or other animals) fat? Per se, no. Does consuming excess energy (calories) make people fat? Yes.

In a state of consuming excess energy from mixed macronutrients, which macronutrient is preferentially stored as fat? Fat.

Does eating carbohydrates cause insulin resistance? Per se, no. Does eating fat cause insulin resistance? Per se, no. Is excess body fat, however accumulated, correlated with insulin resistance? Strongly. Is a lifestyle (diet and exercise) that creates frequent large insulin spikes a pancreatic stressor that may contribute to developing insulin resistance? Likely (. . . says that very same Cleveland Clinic so-called "pop science" article, down the list of potential causes of IR, below excess bodyweight and under-exercise).

how old is this.

You need to update. The universities themselves need to update. The sugar myth is over, it's time for the scientists to catch up.

Beware. I have a GP who in one sentence said fat is fine and in the next said eat lean chicken and remove the fat. She can't see the conflict but it's glaring.

Offload the old science. The internet doesn't date its entries; you have to be more awake.

It has been discovered that eating fructose forces about 80% conversion to fat. That's how your liver do. And if you're converting a percentage of it to fat, you can't use it.

Insulin is the fat storage hormone. That's how insulin do. If you are sending insulin out for your glucose, that is what it are doing.

There's a huge gap in the science at the moment, regarding fat storage and insulin use. And until that gap in the knowledge is locked down, none of you can rely on any of the information you're getting from these american universities. And while you're at it, check their funding.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Wow, getting big time larry vibes (none of you will get that).