What did you do to break your stall?

Options
I literally keep stalling I adjust my diet and workout 4 or more days a week. And I still bounce up and down the same 4lbs lol 😂 this is incredibly frustrating. Any tips for breaking a stall? I kinda contribute it too my lack of sleep and high stress life ( I’m a e.r nurse) any tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting -- I skipped breakfast and delayed eating until around noon. Then I ate in a window of time and didn't eat after that window closed. I told myself I could have the regular amount of calories within the window, but found the IF, specifically delaying eating until noon, reduced my appetite so I didn't eat as much.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    In what ways are you adjusting your diet? How much are you eating? What are your workouts? And yes, stress and lack of sleep can raise cortisol which affects your weight.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I read it as "diet and exercise, 4 times a week, meaning changing both 4 times a week. Proper punctuation would help us understand what the OP means, I think.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    OP, some women only see a new low weight once a month, at a particular point in their menstrual cycle, even when actually losing fat fairly fast. That's not the most common pattern, but it's possible. If you don't have solid logging experience over multiple cycles to know what your patterns are, and you've stalled for less than at least one full cycle . . . stick with your routine long enough to get solid data before you start changing things.

On top of that, if your exercise regimen is new (or recently increased), that can cause some water retention (for muscle repair). Water weight fluctuations can hide fat loss progress on the scale for a surprisingly long time.

This is a good article, very informative, in case you haven't already read it:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Follow the science. When you aren't losing weight over a period of more than a week or two, you are not in a deficit. Re-calibrate your goal and accept the lower daily consumption.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Follow the science. When you aren't losing weight over a period of more than a week or two, you are not in a deficit. Re-calibrate your goal and accept the lower daily consumption.

To follow the science you need valid measurements. And a week or two is NOT enough time to produce meaningful weight measurements in the case of moderate or small deficits.

It MAY be enough time to measure for meaningful weight changes in the case of extreme deficits.

OK, maybe three weeks if her goal results in a small daily calorie deficit. But the science is in the empirical data, i.e. the observed fact of no weight loss. The collection of waste in the GI tract and the pickup of excess water will not defer weight loss over any extended period. Days not weeks.

If one re-calibrates and the loss is too steep, do it again. The goal calculator is an average for people, not a "one size fits all" perfect number.

• wilson10102018
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

That's not true, especially not for women whose water weight fluctuates constantly. Many women experience two periods of waterweight gain within a 4 week period as part of the menstrual cycle. And this water can stick around for quite a while. Add new exercise, a bit of stress, and anything else out of the ordinary and you're not losing anything at all for several weeks. It's all just water masking weightloss, mind.

I think it is pretty likely that the OP who says her weight is bouncing up and down by the same 4 pounds every week is pretty familiar with her own menstrual cycle. But, you are the smartest kid in the class by pointing this possibility out.
  • graceojo999
    graceojo999 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just stop calorie restriction for a week ….drink water and sleep as much as possible. Basically reset and start again. It’s either that or be more extreme which is never good. Stalls are normal but it depends on if you have the patience to wait them out. I don’t…I’ll rather be enjoying myself on maintenance calories for a week than be on deficit for that same week and loose nothing. After I am on maintenance calorie which is about 2000 for me…I come back down to 1200 and the weight starts to fall of again. I do the same in keto…stall=time to carb up and start again for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    How long has it been? In general, I agree with the others who say give it at least a month. However, since you tagged your post with "100+ pounds to lose" you should see changes much faster than someone who is much closer to goal weight.

How long have you been working out? Due to new exercise water retention, my scale went up 7 pounds when I started working out again.

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Well, if @yirara had not corrected with the "3 weeks is long enough to discern" comment, I was going to correct it. Because it is untrue for the reason yirara stated. In addition, many women have irregular cycles, so I would also disagree with the statement, "the OP certainly knows her own menstrual cycle." That statement is untrue for many. Directly contradicting untrue statements is not rude. It is helpful.

OP, I'll go back to your first response - patience. And look at your weight trend not discrete data points. Discrete data points are going to bounce around. If your trend is flat after AT LEAST one menstrual cycle (more than one is more accurate), then empirically, you are eating at maintenance for your level of activity. Treat it like an experiment and give the experiment time to yield valid results before changing more variables.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    .... many women have irregular cycles, so I would also disagree with the statement, "the OP certainly knows her own menstrual cycle." That statement is untrue for many. Directly contradicting untrue statements is not rude. It is helpful.

Well, then, your statement is untrue. just because a menstrual cycle is irregular doesn't mean the OP does not understand that.