Gone from 115Kg to 91Kg not convinced 80kg will get me where i want. Thoughts?

Options
One with red shorts is around 115.
pcr6sewa7gkl.png

ohnlp6t46fbd.jpg

Other one is 91/92kg. I'm about 179cm so 80kg should in theory be a good weight. I'm just not convinced 10-12kg will be enough to lose.

Any one have any thoughts?

Replies

• millac68
    millac68 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks.

It's just a provisional starting point loosely based off BMI.

I'm wondering what will it take for a slim build
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes... You face appears to have changed so much. I know its just a peakaboo in the mirror but awesome job.

Just a thought, but body recomp might be considered. Maybe your weight is at a good range, but the results you want might require some type of weight lifting program to "recomp" the body you desire. Many threads out there about heavy lift and body recomp. If additional weight is needed to be lost, adjust as need.

Best of luck and what a great change you have made already.
  • millac68
    Options
    Holy smokes... You face appears to have changed so much. I know its just a peakaboo in the mirror but awesome job.

Just a thought, but body recomp might be considered. Maybe your weight is at a good range, but the results you want might require some type of weight lifting program to "recomp" the body you desire. Many threads out there about heavy lift and body recomp. If additional weight is needed to be lost, adjust as need.

Best of luck and what a great change you have made already.

Haha appreciate it. I think my face has slimmed nicely now.

The areas I'd like to work on are the belly and to an extent the chest as there's still moobs that need clearing.

I'm not sure what I can get off my belly though, i suspect there's some loose skin on there but it does look like there's a fair bit of fat to come off too so I'm hoping it won't look too messy down there.

Ive been hitting the gym/weights more when I can. I think I should focus on lifting goals rather than specific weight goals as I think that will help me out.

Would you generally think that's the right approach?
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. :D brilliant job.

I think 10 more kg would be perfect. Or less - try 5 and see how you feel. As you get smaller, it takes smaller losses to make bigger changes. if you know what I mean.

You're young so your skin will slowly shrink back down. Great to have done it while you still have a ton of collagen in your skin. ;D
  • millac68
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I found this image online to show how big 5lbs (2.26kg) of fat is. I find it helpful to see just how big that is.

n2qh25jt99xq.jpg

Interesting point.

12 kilos is say 25lbs.

If 15 of those are fat and half went off the belly, it would help a lot.
  • millac68
    Options
    I guess I'm trying to figure out if there's still fat to lose on my stomach.

The belly definitely feels softer but it feels quite thick at the same time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    millac68 wrote: »

You've obviously made tremendous progress between the two photos: Congratulations on the fruits of your effort!

It may partly be posture (tilted foward), but I"m going to be 100% honest with you, as the concerned but frank old internet auntie that I am: I think there's still fat you could lose on your abdomen.

Getting fitter/more muscular is always a good thing, so maybe consider pairing a slow fat loss calorie goal with increased strength training, if you've been losing rapidly to date? You look fairly young (compared to me at age 66! 😆), so you're in a good place to benefit from strength training, even if it turns out you need to lose a bit more fat.

I'd underscore what others have said: There's zero need to figure out now how much more to lose. If you think you're carrying more body fat than you want now, just keep losing, see how your body evolves.

Your goal weight has absolutely no effect on the calorie goal MFP will give you, so you can just set yourself up for some estimated loss rate, hit around those calories, and keep losing. (Eventually, you might have to change calories more insightfully, either to slow down fast loss (which is not that great a plan when close to goal weight), or to keep losing as you get lighter weight (because it takes fewer calories to power a lighter body through life).

Myself, I kept re-guessing my goal weight as I got lighter, reached provisional goals, but decided I still had a bit more I wanted to lose. Eventually, when I was feeling like I was quite close, and was losing very slowly by intention to prioritize health/performance, I came up with some appearance/feeling characteristics I'd look for to know I was "there". Within some weeks, I literally woke up one morning, felt/saw those things, starting working on dialing in maintenance calories.

What do I mean by "characteristics"? Mine were quirky, but it could be things like what thickness you get when you pinch at your waist, something about how your abdomen or chest look or measure, how much pep you feel going up stairs at X weight, or . . . whatever seems important to you.

Best wishes!
  • millac68
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You've obviously made tremendous progress between the two photos: Congratulations on the fruits of your effort!

It may partly be posture (tilted foward), but I"m going to be 100% honest with you, as the concerned but frank old internet auntie that I am: I think there's still fat you could lose on your abdomen.

Getting fitter/more muscular is always a good thing, so maybe consider pairing a slow fat loss calorie goal with increased strength training, if you've been losing rapidly to date? You look fairly young (compared to me at age 66! 😆), so you're in a good place to benefit from strength training, even if it turns out you need to lose a bit more fat.

I'd underscore what others have said: There's zero need to figure out now how much more to lose. If you think you're carrying more body fat than you want now, just keep losing, see how your body evolves.

Your goal weight has absolutely no effect on the calorie goal MFP will give you, so you can just set yourself up for some estimated loss rate, hit around those calories, and keep losing. (Eventually, you might have to change calories more insightfully, either to slow down fast loss (which is not that great a plan when close to goal weight), or to keep losing as you get lighter weight (because it takes fewer calories to power a lighter body through life).

Myself, I kept re-guessing my goal weight as I got lighter, reached provisional goals, but decided I still had a bit more I wanted to lose. Eventually, when I was feeling like I was quite close, and was losing very slowly by intention to prioritize health/performance, I came up with some appearance/feeling characteristics I'd look for to know I was "there". Within some weeks, I literally woke up one morning, felt/saw those things, starting working on dialing in maintenance calories.

What do I mean by "characteristics"? Mine were quirky, but it could be things like what thickness you get when you pinch at your waist, something about how your abdomen or chest look or measure, how much pep you feel going up stairs at X weight, or . . . whatever seems important to you.

Best wishes!

I got most of that weight off in the last 4.5 months so I'm thinking I may benefit from slowing things down.

I wasn't trying to lose weight at a particular weight but I found 1700 calories was making me maintain at 115KG so I ended up going lower for a bit.

In the last few months I've been trying to go for 15-1700 as I seemed to be still losing seamlessly but now I'm thinking I may as well do 2000-2500 as long as I'm not gaining from that.

A small loss or maintenance may be a better approach to see if that improves my composition. I think I just hate the way my stomach is but it seems to have been that way even in my earlier photo so I don't know if I've done anything wrong with the weight loss element.

Maybe a slower loss may make a bigger difference especially if strength is involved as more of the slow weight loss is likely to be fat. I'm also out of the "obese" category so I'm probably not in as big of a rush to lose weight.
  • millac68
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    * you're not in a race, weight loss and, more importantly, weight control is an ongoing commitment, especially when you've started from a position of having reached well above low overweight status

* Your decisions are not final nor do they have to have a specific number. They can be as simple as I'll keep losing to low overweight, to high normal bmi, etc, and then I'll re-evaluate.

* Your skin, and even your remaining fat distribution will continue to change for a good year, quite probably two years, after your weight has stabilized. So your absolutely final skin look won't be known for a while.

* Loose skin sucks; but having skin full of unnecessary fat cells sucks more... I'm quite happily a member of the club, so 🤷🏻‍♂️

* Generally, during deficits, softer fat deposits are starting the process of emptying. i.e. the area is probably next in line

* Visually you are likely to be pleasantly surprised as you keep approaching normal weight.

*BMI just says that MOST people of a certain height, will have the least amount of health effects related to their weight, SOMEWHERE within the normal range.

It does NOT say that for Bob specifically any weight between 24.9 and 18.5 is going to be good. Just that Bob's good weight is somewhere between 18.5 and 24.9, most of the time😉

an interesting side effect of normal BMI is that MOST people who weigh within the range appear to catry healthy (not too high but not dangerously low) levels of fat reserves. And at the edges this actually doesn't apply to an appreciable bunch: Taller and deliberately muscled men at the high end of BMI, shorter individuals who have not strength trained and carry more than expected fat even though technically normal weight, and (usually) women in the 18.5 to 20 range who may carry less fat than ideal.

All that to say that 24.9 may be a good level for you, or maybe 23 will be! But you will have a better idea as you approach.

* Self perception takes time. Many of us have looked at the pant leg and wondered why we thought they the second leg will fit. Takes time.

*To me it sounds as if you're losing fast. Slow down a bit below the fat reserves levels that you would expect to find around BMI 27. Don't try to lose it fast. Spend a year losing and consolidating your losses. Plan to spend another one or two managing maintenance. Don't believe that you're done and back to normal when you reach your goal. Explore and define your new normal and set aside the priority time to do so! Engage in strength training and exercise when you can. It is fun on its own!!!

*Yes you're doing excellent and visually appear to be tracking close enough to the BMI/expected fat reserves equation for BMI to be useful guide for you for now!

You're probably correct.

I noticed less hang in my stomach even between those photos so evidence should suggest, I could see some further improvement. I've also noticed "indents" in the sides of my stomach which is making me wonder if this is my body's attempt at retracting.

A good portion of the weight loss is coming from the gym with weights as well as biking for cardio. I definitely feel a lot fitter and more willing/able to do things when my mental health is right.

I'm also guessing my metabolisms aren't particularly bad as I have got a good chunk of weight off so i may as well trial eating more. It would allow me to treat myself a bit more which in itself is a good thing to a happier lifestyle. Not that I mind what I eat anyway.

I have cut back on drinking which I know saves calories, I don't really want to drink more though as it's bad for the mental health and I'm not enjoying it.

I think to ramp the calories, I should just add an extra snack here and there or just be less worried about what I chose when out at restaurants.

I can then focus on gym goals and less on weight goals as that will probably be a better measure.

It took me about 6 years to get from 95kg up to 115kg and that was by making a lkt of bad choices, so even if I'm loosely monitoring, I would be able to curb weight gain very easily if I was overcosuming.
  • millac68
    Options
    To give an update.

Ive raised calories to 2000 and seeing how that goes.

Makes it easier to get 160g of protein too.

In terms of exercise, a friend of mine who's a PT has given me a plan which covers 4 days a week of the gym (aiming for 3) as I'm doing a group PT session locally too.

Hoping this gives me a good chance to tone up a bit, build strength and make it more likely that the % of weight I lose is more likely fat rather than muscle.

I think if I get a further 10kg this way, it will take longer but the reward will be far better.

Once I'm at 80KG I can review what my next actions are.

Feeling like phase 1 was shifting off the "obesity" weight.

Phase 2 is to hit a provisional goal the right way

Phase 3 will be what I think needs to be done next.

And it can keep going on from there.

Probability of me going back to old ways is pretty low as most of the food I eat, I enjoy and excessive booze/junk food is just not as attractive to me now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    To give an update.

Ive raised calories to 2000 and seeing how that goes.

Makes it easier to get 160g of protein too.

In terms of exercise, a friend of mine who's a PT has given me a plan which covers 4 days a week of the gym (aiming for 3) as I'm doing a group PT session locally too.

Hoping this gives me a good chance to tone up a bit, build strength and make it more likely that the % of weight I lose is more likely fat rather than muscle.

I think if I get a further 10kg this way, it will take longer but the reward will be far better.

Once I'm at 80KG I can review what my next actions are.

Feeling like phase 1 was shifting off the "obesity" weight.

Phase 2 is to hit a provisional goal the right way

Phase 3 will be what I think needs to be done next.

And it can keep going on from there.

Probability of me going back to old ways is pretty low as most of the food I eat, I enjoy and excessive booze/junk food is just not as attractive to me now.

Sounds like a sensible plan. Maybe come back in a few weeks/months, let us know how it's going? Other folks can learn from your experience, and speaking for myself, I always wonder how people come along as they adopt a new plan.

Hoping it's a huge success!
  • millac68
    Options
    Yeah been eating more but weight is still going down more than I want.

Just starting to feel more uncomfortable in my skin and think I'm disgusting.

I really think I've failed myself.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Yeah been eating more but weight is still going down more than I want.

Just starting to feel more uncomfortable in my skin and think I'm disgusting.

I really think I've failed myself.

We are our own worst critics. It’s very hard not to be judgmental when assessing ourselves.

Think of the progress you’ve made over time. If your best friend had achieved as much, what would you say to him/her at this time? You deserve to treat yourself to the same kindness you would give a friend.

Don’t be afraid to take a planned diet break for several weeks. Eat at maintenance calories for a while and give yourself some self care. Diet breaks give you an opportunity to learn what maintenance will look like after goal. But it’s also a great psychological break from the stress of eating at a deficit.

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I think the deficit may be taking a toll on me physically and mentally.

I may benefit from a bit of a break of things and coming back to stuff at least at a nearer point to my initial goal post.

I mainly wanted to do this to feel more comfortable with myself and in that respect I don't think I've achieved much in fact, I may feel worse mentally due to my own fixation.

Physically, sure. I did a 20 mile cycle just yesterday and definitely wouldn't have a year ago.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

20 mile cycle is a great achievement! Have you connected with new friends that share your cycling interest? I started running on this journey and after some time got connected with other runners. But it took probably a year before I took on “runner” as part of my identity. Somehow I was out there running 6 miles but didn’t consider myself a “real runner”. Connecting with others helped me.

It sounds like you have had many changes along this journey. Your initial goal for weight loss doesn’t have to be your only goal. Take some time to get to know the “you” that you have become. Be proud of your accomplishments. And don’t be afraid to change the reasons you are on this path. It’s hard to learn to enjoy the journey, but I do think it serves us better in the long run.

Have you bought any new clothes that fit your new size/shape? I know sometimes it’s tempting to wait until you’re at goal to buy a new wardrobe. But I do think that having some items you like that fit you well can be a mental boost. I remember buying a few new tops to wear to the office along the journey. Having something that fit me well did give me a mental boost. Even when our running errands, I find that it helps me mentally to wear clothes that fit my shape better.